The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK, let's say you were in the mood for a latte and a maple nut scone along with some pleasant surroundings and good conversation. But let's say that Starbucks is just too, well, high-falutin'. Too stylish. Too designed. Makes you feel like you can't possibly live up to their standards. How are you going to get your latte now?

Well now you can have dainty little pastries and hip coffee drinks in a setting that reminds you you're in lowest common denominator America, in the "McCafe" - a new concept from McDonalds.

Why, there's even a miniature grandfather clock on the wall to remind you of the middle-America homey feeling we enjoy so well.

No word yet on whether you can get fries with that latte. No word on whether there will be a drive-thru so you can enjoy that poppy-seed and orange-peel muffin while on the road.

Old 05-02-2001, 08:40 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hmmm...I wonder how Chicago will handle this.

I used to frequent Chicago often during 1998 and 1999. And there are a TON of Starbucks in the city, particularly in the Loop and North Chicago. In fact, Starbucks was growing so exponentially there, that some people that were about to become neighbors with a new Starbucks rioted. Yes, they broke windows and made noise over a new latte choice.

Now then, the whole concept--a McCafe in Chicago: a city that already has Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Cosi, Dunkin Donuts, Au Bon Pain, and Panera. Not to mention, many local cafe joints. I'd say McD's is a tad late.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:53 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Hmmm...I wonder how Chicago will handle this.

I used to frequent Chicago often during 1998 and 1999. And there are a TON of Starbucks in the city, particularly in the Loop and North Chicago. In fact, Starbucks was growing so exponentially there, that some people that were about to become neighbors with a new Starbucks rioted. Yes, they broke windows and made noise over a new latte choice.
They did the same thing in Little Five Points, Atlanta -- I was there the day they were set to open, and the plate-glass was broken.
Old 05-03-2001, 02:28 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

Talking

errrr donno bout the US but we've had this here in Australia (melbourne) for YEARS!
And the coffee sucks
Old 05-03-2001, 09:08 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
errrr donno bout the US but we've had this here in Australia (melbourne) for YEARS!
And the coffee sucks
It's their revenge on us after drinking American beer.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 05-04-2001, 02:48 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

Talking

yes.
it is.
you will suffer much, for McDOnalds are subtle, and piss in your coffee.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:34 AM   #7
russotto
Professor

I've been to a Pizza Mac (another McDonalds enterprise) in Seoul, Korea. It sucked. Put it in South Philadelphia and by unanimous consent it would be declared blighted and moved to the top of the list for demolition.
Old 05-05-2001, 10:12 AM   #8
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Just solid proof that McDonalds will whore itself out into any sub-niche of dining culture just to make a buck.