The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Magnalite VS. Calphalon

I am about to invest in some cookware and several Cellarites have mentioned Calphalon as a good choice. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Magnalite cookware and how it compares to the Calphalon.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

If you have enough money or want to save up a little more... I would go for All-Clad. Those are really the best. Calphalon isn't bad, but sometimes stores will have deals on All-Clad that are comparable or just a little more than Calphalon.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I like All-Clad.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

I like Le Creuset. Hell no I didn't buy it. A friend gave to me. New wife said was too heavy. :-)
Old 10-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
I like Le Creuset. Hell no I didn't buy it. A friend gave to me. New wife said was too heavy. :-)
Le Creuset is good too... the casserole dishes are great.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I've always held out for good copper-bottomed pots and pans. They cost a bit more, but they're worth it to me. Excellent heat dispersion and easy cleaning. For nonstick I like Revere and WearEver.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
glatt

My mom had Stainless steel copper bottomed Revere pots and pans. They were (are) decent, easy to clean, even-heating pots and pans. They have lasted 30 years so far, and are going strong. The handles are comfortable, and the pots and pans are not too heavy. Only drawback is the plastic handles are not oven safe. Small drawback, if you ask me. How often do you put a pot inside the oven?

The trendy thing is to buy Calphalon. It's good stuff, but it's no Holy Grail. You can get a set of Revere for a third of the cost.

If I were giving advice on cookware, I would suggest that a shopper go to a store and pick up these various pots and pans. Feel the weight. Imagine that it's full. Hold it for a few seconds. Imagine cleaning the pot. Do rivits poke into the inside of the pot? If so, you are going to have to clean around them when you wash the pot? Thick aluminum pots or copper coated bottoms on stainless stell pots should both be good. A handle should be comfortable. The pot should be easy to clean. Unless you are filthy rich, you should look at the price.

Last edited by glatt; 10-25-2004 at 01:57 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
russotto
Professor

Calphalon's metal handles conduct heat. This is literally a pain. Magnalite looks to have non-metallic handles.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have to admit, I like Revereware, too. My mom's has lasted forever as well. Lots to think about...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
BrianR

Think about one more thing: A set of well-seasoned cast iron pans (and pots too nowadays) is cheap, nearly indestructible and does it all. Just wear a glove when handling the handle. I clean mine with a paper towel and oil it again while it's still warm. This has stood me in good stead so far. No rust, no bare patches and a good, non-stick surface. Heavy though for flipping hash with one hand

Brian
Old 10-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Maybe I'm being irrational, but to me using cast iron always seemed dirty. The idea of "seasoning" a pan is just polite talk for "not washing it."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
BrianR

I wipe it out!!!!!!! Really! It's CLEAN! Enough to eat out of! If ya wash it with soap and water, ya ruin the coating and have to start over again.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I know it's horrible of me to say so ... but Cook's Essentials from QVC is awesome for nonstick, nonelitist cookware.

Oven safe, durable, heavy enough to brain somebody with, but light enough to be managed by my elderly arthritic mother, easy clean up.

AND ... you can buy it really cheap openstock at QVC Studios or the Outlet stores.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote