The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 PM   #31
warch
lurkin old school

Another ex Mormon? The whole Mormon thing is freaky. Didnt Smith rewrite a new "inspired" bible with the help of God? that seems pretty ballsy. Whats the whole latterday saints thing? I guess I could surf around and learn this meself, but hey...
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:48 PM   #32
dave

http://www.religioustolerance.org - So you can find out all the fucked up stupid shit about various religions.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:54 PM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Ummm... I guess Susquehanna County PA has to take some credit for the Mormon movement, ... our apologies (although whatever works for you, its your life your deal, just stay off my deck). Its interesting how ugly the locals were towards the movement then and how accomodating they are now that they're established and are have some economic clout. The town of Susquehanna is positioning itself as the LDS Mecca since Smith had his visions near there. I've surveyed in the area where it all went down and there were some interesting notes about the whole thing in the deeds we researched. The Mormons went through some serious abuse to get where they are though. If you read some of their history folks were practically killing them for sport.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:58 PM   #34
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Another ex Mormon? The whole Mormon thing is freaky. Didnt Smith rewrite a new "inspired" bible with the help of God? that seems pretty ballsy.
He started an inspired version, but was martyred before he could finish it. I have never seen a copy of it, but from the excerpts I've seen on ex-mormon.org, which shows King James version next to NIV next to JSR (Joseph Smith Rendition), the guy was wack. It's just not even close.

Quote:
Whats the whole latterday saints thing?
The major idea is that Joseph Smith brought about the restoration of the church through revelation as a prophet of God. All Mormons are called "Saints" and we are living in the Latter Days. Hence the name.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #35
warch
lurkin old school

Wow! I learned a bit from some disgruntled former mormons at http://www.utlm.org/ Yikes. Christianity it aint.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #36
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspHey, anybody remember this thread? It's pretty old but I still like the fig tree and fish things. http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?threadid=2954
Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

There's a new book on the church by the guy who helped get those yuppies killed on Everest a while back.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:58 AM   #38
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

[NY Times.... register.... blahblahblah]

Is it Jon Krakauer, by any chance? If so, cool. Who did he kill this time?
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #39
dave

Yeah, author of Into Thin Air. Damn good book.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #40
Griff
still says videotape

Looks like he's killing American made fundies.

In the book, Mr. Krakauer examines Mormon fundamentalists, the tens of thousands of true believers living mostly in Utah who broke away from the original Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The splinter groups are the American Taliban, Mr. Krakauer says, living in desert theocracies where pubescent girls are forced into marriages with old graybeards who rule with an iron fist. These polygamous communities are against the law, but usually tolerated by officials who see a little bit of great-grandpa's pioneering ways in the modern sects.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:38 AM   #41
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

WARNING: Blatant attempt at thread hijacking ahead

After a few minutes of reflection, I realize that that was a nasty thing to say about Mr. Krakauer. He didn't really kill anybody. At 28,000 feet, hypoxic, frostbitten and dehydrated, I'm sure he did the best he could.

If you liked <u>Into Thin Air</u>, you'll also enjoy <u>Everest: Mountain Without Mercy</u>. It's a National Geographic book written by a guy named Broughton Coburn. It's chock full of photos from the IMAX crew that happened to be on the mountain at the same time as the doomed pair of yuppie moron expeditions, and subsequently helped drag the surviving yuppies down off the mountain after half a dozen of them found out the hard way that buying a $400 Mountain Hard Wear jacket doesn't really make you a rugged, outdoorsy type.

I found my copy in the bargain bin at B&N a while back. It's worth $6.99 if you can find it.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM   #42
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
WARNING: Blatant attempt at thread hijacking ahead

After a few minutes of reflection, I realize that that was a nasty thing to say about Mr. Krakauer. He didn't really kill anybody. At 28,000 feet, hypoxic, frostbitten and dehydrated, I'm sure he did the best he could.
Sort of nasty but its my understanding that thats pretty much his own assessment. Although he may just be feeling guilty about the gobs of money he made.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #43
dave

HB - I've already got it. It's a good one. Another one too, of which I can't remember the name... but it's got pictures of <b>dead people</b>, and in <b>vivid color</b>. Good stuff!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:20 AM   #44
BryanD
Rouser of rabble

One really interesting bit to the original question is, "Did God say that?"

In college a friend made an interesting discovery in her Ancient Greek class. They used the Bible as thier translation medium at the time (Greek on the left, English on the right).

The Greek text used the words most literally translated as "Thou shalt not murder" (apparently, in Greek there is a word better suited to Murder than Kill...) but the translation we all came to read was "Thou shalt not kill".

Puts a different twist on it, eh?
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #45
joydriven
joywriting in the rock river valley

reminder

interesting thought, BryanD. and a good reminder that i need to come back here sometime and answer to warch's invitation.
joydriven is offline   Reply With Quote