The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #151
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Tell me what you think the baby's learning from what you can glean from that picture, please.
One word: madrassas.

I spoke of the child's entire trajectory until being issued a real vest. That he (if he is as is implied by the vest, male) will be groomed as a jihadi. doesn't take amazing insight.

I understand your position, I just think you're full of poop. And if you don't think you're leaning hard on "moral equivlance" with this line of yours, you don't earn my pity, because your blindness is wilful.

Last edited by MaggieL; 08-03-2006 at 06:33 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #152
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
No, not profiling. I've seen quite a few pictures of the remains. The heads are usually more intact than the rest of them.
That's pretty amazing, considering how "intact" the heads must have been before detonating.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #153
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Would I take my child to sign artillery shells Bruce? Not if they were as young as the girls in the photo, I wouldn't ask my children no matter what age. But if I had a 16 or 17 year old that was suffering the same as I was and losing people they cared about, I would just quietly let them do as they wished. Those girls have been raised in a country haunted by bombings and terrorist killings, I'd imagine those girls know exactly what they want done with those shells and arn't afraid to make their sentiments known. Think of what it would be like if New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and other cities in the US were having buses blown up like what happens in Israel? How long do you think it would take the kids in those cities to go from wondering why it was happening, to wondering why people would do that, to hating the people responsible, to wanting them dead.

Can you imagine what it must be like to have to add a talk about "why did those men kill mommy/daddy/my best friend's dad/my best friend's mom" to the list of parental turning points?? I doubt you would give them a lecture on the history of Middle Eastern conflict. "They want us all dead dear" would be just as accurate.

Now, if I had to guess they probably aren't addressing those shells to the Lebonese in general. Israeli children by this point are probably savy enough to know their terrorist organizations by heart.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #154
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

You know, I did wonder why the hands off attitude towards the Middle East until it hit a flashpoint? Did Iraq use all of our diplomatic resources?

An ABCNEWS video report makes me wonder. Could large numbers of people really want a Mideast conflict and WWIII as a path to Heaven?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 08-03-2006 at 09:32 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #155
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Would I take my child to sign artillery shells Bruce? ~snip
Whoa, man..... BigV asked that question, not me.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #156
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

err, sorry about that little mixup
Old 08-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #157
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
But if I had a 16 or 17 year old that was suffering the same as I was and losing people they cared about, I would just quietly let them do as they wished.
Considering that within a year they might be *firing* those shells.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #158
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
You know, I did wonder why the hands off attitude towards the Middle East until it hit a flashpoint? Did Iraq use all of our diplomatic resources?
Our what? What year are you living in, man?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 AM   #159
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think it's fairly safe to say that children who have been born into the sort of horror so many of these children have would unfortunately have had their innocence stolen from them many years before their time. So, I'd say that yeah, they know what they're doing. They've been taught that if you don't get them first, they'll get you soon. If that's hate then that's what they've been taught. I'd hazard a guess and say it's probably more likely a case of self preservation which is innate in most human beings.

Either way it's heart wrenching no matter which way you look at it. Arguing about it on a stupid website doesn't help and it's definitely not going to stop it happening.

The other pictures are just stupid set ups and the parents are simply brainless to think anything like that could be funny. What morons...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #160
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think what the children are being taught is fear. The hate that just naturally follows the fear, doesn't have to be taught.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #161
tjauh
Writer of Writings

Check this out ...

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1...ghlight=beirut
tjauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #162
tjauh
Writer of Writings

Check this out ...

Check this out ...

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1...ghlight=beirut
tjauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #163
Griff
still says videotape

Post an opinion tjauh. We all know that most of the picks out of Lebanon are real.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #164
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

tjauh has an agenda, not an opinion.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #165
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Our what? What year are you living in, man?
Apparently the last one for this planet.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote