The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

FBI Wiretaps Jane Harman, the California Democrat

Quote:
Rep. Jane Harman , the California Democrat with a longtime involvement in intelligence issues, was overheard on an NSA wiretap telling a suspected Israeli agent that she would lobby the Justice Department reduce espionage-related charges against two officials of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee, the most powerful pro-Israel organization in Washington.

Harman was recorded saying she would "waddle into" the AIPAC case "if you think it'll make a difference," according to two former senior national security officials familiar with the NSA transcript.

In exchange for Harman's help, the sources said, the suspected Israeli agent pledged to help lobby Nancy Pelosi , D-Calif., then-House minority leader, to appoint Harman chair of the Intelligence Committee after the 2006 elections, which the Democrats were heavily favored to win.

Seemingly wary of what she had just agreed to, according to an official who read the NSA transcript, Harman hung up after saying, "This conversation doesn't exist."

Harman declined to discuss the wiretap allegations, instead issuing an angry denial through a spokesman.

"These claims are an outrageous and recycled canard, and have no basis in fact," Harman said in a prepared statement. "I never engaged in any such activity. Those who are peddling these false accusations should be ashamed of themselves."

It's true that allegations of pro-Israel lobbyists trying to help Harman get the chairmanship of the intelligence panel by lobbying and raising money for Pelosi aren't new.

They were widely reported in 2006, along with allegations that the FBI launched an investigation of Harman that was eventually dropped for a "lack of evidence."

What is new is that Harman is said to have been picked up on a court-approved NSA tap directed at alleged Israel covert action operations in Washington.

And that, contrary to reports that the Harman investigation was dropped for "lack of evidence," it was Alberto R. Gonzales, President Bush's top counsel and then attorney general, who intervened to stop the Harman probe.

Why? Because, according to three top former national security officials, Gonzales wanted Harman to be able to help defend the administration's warrantless wiretapping program, which was about break in The New York Times and engulf the White House.

As for there being "no evidence" to support the FBI probe, a source with first-hand knowledge of the wiretaps called that "bull****."

"I read those transcripts," said the source, who like other former national security officials familiar with the transcript discussed it only on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of domestic NSA eavesdropping.

There is a whole lot more - Link
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Stupid woman.

Everyone knows that's Lieberman's job.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

FBI Wiretaps Jane Harman, the California Democrat

I am sure she is not the first.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Yeah, but who's wiretapping the FBI to see what else they are up to?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Yeah, but who's wiretapping the FBI to see what else they are up to?
The NSA. I assure you.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
sugarpop
Professor

What slays me, is she was all for the wiretapping of American citizens, yet now she is whining because she herself was wiretapped.

I find that extremely ironic.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
classicman

She was looking to get a job and pushed Pelosi too hard. This is what happens when you cross "Her Majesty."
Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
classicman

Pelosi Said She Knew Harman Was Wiretapped
Quote:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that she was first informed in a confidential briefing a few years ago that Rep. Jane Harman had been recorded by spy agencies.

Pelosi said the briefing from intelligence agencies was usual practice in the Capitol, where top congressional leaders are always told when a member of Congress pops up during the course of secret investigations.

"I was not in a position to raise it with Jane Harman. All they said was that she was wiretapped," said Pelosi, who said she couldn't remember if the secret briefing took place in 2005 or 2006.

"When you are briefed on something it isn't your role to share it with anybody else," said Pelosi, who served on the Intelligence Committee for a decade until she entered the House Democratic leadership about six years ago.

Congressional Quarterly reported April 19 that National Security Agency eavesdroppers heard Harman agreeing in 2005 to an appeal from a suspected Israeli agent to intervene in an effort to reduce espionage-related charges lodged against two former officials of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, Washington's most powerful pro-Israel organization.

The New York Times published a similar front-page story Monday, adding that Harman was told in the conversation that Haim Saban, a wealthy Democratic donor, would threaten to withhold political contributions to Nancy Pelosi, also a California Democrat, unless Harman was tapped to head the House Intelligence panel. CQ confirmed that account in its "SpyTalk" blog Wednesday.
The plot thickens...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
What slays me, is she was all for the wiretapping of American citizens, yet now she is whining because she herself was wiretapped.

I find that extremely ironic.
I think it's fucking HILARIOUS.