The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 8, 2009: Hobbit House

Or should I say, another hobbit house... they seem to pop up every once in awhile.
Some are pretty crude but this one is very nice. Don't know how it will stand up to Wale's weather over time.
Quote:
While Dale claims not to be an expert in literature, he also claims to be no expert in building or architecture – which is surprising given that he's built two family homes, and is planning more. But then, Dale's story is surprising. A photographer and graphic designer by trade, he knew from his teens that he wanted to build a home in the countryside. "Photography and graphic design were ways of getting a livelihood that were portable, and helpful for the move to the country," he says.

Quote:
It was built by myself and my father in law with help from passers by and visiting friends. 4 months after starting we were moved in and cosy. I estimate 1000-1500 man hours and £3000 put in to this point. Not really so much in house buying terms (roughly £60/sq m excluding labour).

It looks cool and it was cheap, but I have serious reservations about durability.

link

link