The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Israel pounds Gaza, threatens to kill Hamas leaders

Here we go again...

http://www.reuters.com/article/world...31780720070521
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

This will just keep going on and on until someone stops it. I am usually not in favor of other countries getting involved in issues where they do not belong, but this is out of hand. Israel is committing genocide and Palestinian extremists are bombing innocent people thinking it is righteous. There is NO way to resolve this without outside effort and unfortunately, all the outside force is extremely biased towards Israel making the problem even worse.

Quote:
"If I was killed today, even if all the leaders were killed, the Palestinian people would replace me and them with hundreds of other leaders."
I do not think this guy is bluffing. This situation is real and the resistance forces/terrorist organizations are winning the hearts of the people over there.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Is this what triggered the events currently going on in Tripoli this morning? The Lebanese army is currently attacking a refugee camp housing 40,000 in attempts to get at some armed group inside.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
This will just keep going on and on until someone stops it. I am usually not in favor of other countries getting involved in issues where they do not belong, but this is out of hand. Israel is committing genocide and Palestinian extremists are bombing innocent people thinking it is righteous. There is NO way to resolve this without outside effort and unfortunately, all the outside force is extremely biased towards Israel making the problem even worse.

I do not think this guy is bluffing. This situation is real and the resistance forces/terrorist organizations are winning the hearts of the people over there.
I agree with you for the most part.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Is this what triggered the events currently going on in Tripoli this morning? The Lebanese army is currently attacking a refugee camp housing 40,000 in attempts to get at some armed group inside.
I heard the cops were chasing bank robbers and when they tried to follow them into the compound they were met with small arms fire.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
... Israel is committing genocide ...
I don't see this. It seems to me that Israel is responding to attacks.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Somebody who thinks Israel is committing genocide is pretty damned ignorant of Israeli politics and social mores -- and, in his youthful inexperience, is quite led down a rabbit hole by Arab propaganda, driven by a rampant antisemitism, derived from Nazism, which if allowed to develop further, would probably gross out Himmler.

The Israelis are notably allergic to genocide, having returned to a land once theirs in reaction to one. Now they find themselves faced by a fresh enemy that has and openly avers an enthusiasm for a genocide.

This is an intolerable stance and a horrid sin. Worse, it tempts those offended by it into thinking themselves that an actual genocide upon Palestinians might be a solution. This simply makes it doubly horrid.

The Palestinians are being kept as a catspaw by other parties -- and nations -- committed to perpetual feud with the Jews. Were the Palestinians not being kept in their horrible conditions by their countrymen, this would have been over thirty years ago.

Can you blame the Israelis for wanting to win? I cannot. You should not.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I don't blame Israel for wanting to win, I am blaming Israel for claiming a land and forcing every one out of it.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
The Israelis are notably allergic to genocide, having returned to a land once theirs in reaction to one.
Or....alternatively, the abused have become the abuser. Just because a group has suffered genocide this does not make them incapable of committing it at a later date. Look through the history books and you'll see numerous examples of peoples who, having suffered greatly at the hands of stronger foes, have then gone on to commit appalling violence upon other peoples. Sometimes that violence has been committed against their once strong, but now weak, enemy, and sometimes that violence has been committed against an entirely new foe.

To suggest that Israel is incapable of genocide is to misunderstand human psychology entirely. Israel was forged through the extreme suffering of the Jewish people; consequently it is more militant and harsh than it might otherwise have been. Meanwhile the palestinian people are being forged into another militant and harsh group by their suffering at Israel's hands. This is the way of the world. Unless a truly neutral party is able to intervene the situation will continue to deteriorate.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well said, Dana. NO group is incapable of genocide.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Now, Pierce, look into just which part of the British Mandate was to be allocated to the Jews: did it or did it not extend all the way to the Jordan, and did it or did it not include the Gaza as well?

Well, I'm not going to argue incapable, Bruce and Dana -- but there's a mighty strong case for allergic, as you know.

The Israelis have never to my knowledge negotiated in bad faith. By contrast, if it weren't for bad faith, the Palestinians would never have negotiated in any faith at all. This largely eliminates ANY sympathy I'd have for the Palestinian Arabs.

Peoples have been pushed around by migrations before, through all of history. The only thing different about the Israel-Palestine situation is that no Arab nation is making the slightest effort to give displaced Palestinians a new home and a new prosperity, despite some several Arab nations being positively aslosh with wealth! Would Mohammed approve? I don't think so -- he'd've found this course of action highly uncharitable.

I find the actions of all the surrounding Arab nations uncreative and utterly despicable, and not supportable by any argument that they were there first, since they were not. Look far enough back in the local Muslim population and you're going to find quite a few Jews anyway. Have they thought of that? -- I don't think so.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
The only thing different about the Israel-Palestine situation is that no Arab nation is making the slightest effort to give displaced Palestinians a new home and a new prosperity, despite some several Arab nations being positively aslosh with wealth! Would Mohammed approve? I don't think so -- he'd've found this course of action highly uncharitable.
If Europe was subjected to a 'migration' push do you think the French would be happy to move in with the germans? Or the British to move in with the French?

The Palestinians want there homes. They don't want to move into neighbouring lands just because they happen to be Arabs. You seem to believe that Arabs are all one and the same with no cultural or national distinctions. They share certain cultural similarities and generally share a basic religion. Europeans share certain cultural similarities and generally share a basic religion......doesn't mean we aren't entirely distinct from one another.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #13
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
If Europe was subjected to a 'migration' push do you think the French would be happy to move in with the germans? Or the British to move in with the French?

The Palestinians want there homes. They don't want to move into neighbouring lands just because they happen to be Arabs. You seem to believe that Arabs are all one and the same with no cultural or national distinctions. They share certain cultural similarities and generally share a basic religion. Europeans share certain cultural similarities and generally share a basic religion......doesn't mean we aren't entirely distinct from one another.
Give them Gaza and let them make it a country.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
The Israelis have never to my knowledge negotiated in bad faith.
So you are rewriting history again? When negotiations for a peaceful settlement were negotiated between Arafat and Barak, then Israelis promised to return with a detailed map for a suggested border. This demand by Arafat because so many previous agreements, without every detail stated, were recinded on those missing details. But Barak's negoitation team included Sharon. Sharon extremists needed such negotiations to break down. When Barak returned to the table, Israel only had a map sketched on the back of an envelope. Bad faith negotiations. Arafat - as he should have due to bad faith - no map - walked out.

So you forgot to read that history? Oh. That was Urbane Guerrilla making the claim.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Well, I'm not going to argue incapable, Bruce and Dana -- but there's a mighty strong case for allergic, as you know.
Allergic? How did the get the state of Israel in the first place?

Hint - I am not talking about modern history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
Give them Gaza and let them make it a country.
Lets give the US back to the Native Americans, but don't worry, we get to keep New York.