The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mar 12, 2010: Foxes

Foxes around here are in bad shape, between rabies and competition with bigger stronger coyotes. Apparently in Britain they are doing quite well, though.

Foxes being small, rely on their speed and smarts to survive. Having lived close to humans for some time, they know we are slow and dumb, so they have a healthy respect, but not the fear, of humans, you'd expect from a wild animal.

Quote:
After casually wandering deep into a London Underground station, he sits down to contemplate his next move. These pictures were taken by shocked commuter Kate Arkless Gray, 29, at Walthamstow Central shortly after midnight on Saturday. She watched in amazement as the fox first made his way down an escalator.

Shoppers at a busy leather goods store couldn’t believe their eyes when a fox fell through the ceiling and into the front window display. The startled animal dropped into the shop and fell 12ft before landing on a pile of luggage. It is believed the fox, who is only a cub, crept into the suspended ceiling through the fan system, which is switched off at night. Startled consumers crowded around the front window as the fox nestled between some handbags and allowed itself to be petted.

Valerie and Ivor Langford from Tamworth, Staffordshire, claim the RSPCA told them to lure the fox into their conservatory and lock it in until their arrival. But the frightened fox then proceeded to tear the couple’s luxury conservatory to shreds causing over £1,000 worth of damage.

This one, acting more like a pet dog than an urban fox, spotted an opportunity in Feltham, West London, and wasn’t prepared to give it up even when 77-year-old retired well-driller Ian Young started taking flash photographs. Mr Young took this photo of his guest after it wandered in through an open back door. Mr Young had left the back door open as he worked in his garden. When he went back indoors, he found the fox had got there first.
Personally, I welcome our foxy overlords.

link
Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Juniper
I know, right?

There are a lot of foxes around here where I live. I see them all the time. They are not very friendly though!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Foxes do well in most parts of Australia, cities included, having been released for hunting purposes about 150 yeas ago.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

I live in the town where the fox fell through the ceiling of the indoor market and landed in the bag display, unharmed and apparantly unperturbed. The family of foxes live in the false roof space above the market complete with cubs and come out at night to forage for food. There is no shortage of that. This is a seaside resort town and fast food is everywhere, and I mean everywhere. People drop food where they stand once they have stuffed themselves to capacity and seagulls and foxes feast with ease.

Of course its a long story about urban foxes having moved in from the non-existant countryside and living with ease off the fat of the land, and McDonalds.

The fox in the market is still there by the way but they have repaired the hole in the ceiling.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

We have a red fox in our neighborhood that used to run through our back yard on a regular basis (before we had the yard fenced).

The fence keeps out deer (very good!) but it also keeps out foxes, garden snakes and other predators (bad).
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet View Post
I live in the town where the fox fell through the ceiling of the indoor market and landed in the bag display, unharmed and apparantly unperturbed. The family of foxes live in the false roof space above the market complete with cubs and come out at night to forage for food.
that is, coincidentally, also the ending for the Fabulous Mr. Fox.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Cut into 1 inch cubes, marinade in red wine, skewer and char-grill, then served drizzled in ginger sauce with curls of lemon rind.

Or mince and sell to McDonalds.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Oh wow...remember this movie?
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Cherie Currie!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
dmg1969
I got nothing

<snip>"...as the fox nestled between some handbags and allowed itself to be petted."

You Brits have no fear of rabies?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

♪♫ "Little foxes, on the hill side,
Little foxes, made of ticky tacky,
And they all live together
And they all look just the same..."
♫♪
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
glatt

♫♪ And the little ones chewed on the bones-o ♫♪
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

I see a lot more dead ones than live around here unfortunately. Usually roadkill.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
<snip>"...as the fox nestled between some handbags and allowed itself to be petted."

You Brits have no fear of rabies?
There is no rabies in the UK (or at least not widespread -there's still the occasional rumor). That's why our quarantine laws are so strict. Remember, it's a small island.