The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now look what Hezbollah is doing

Just so it's on the record when somebody asks why Israel is bombing locations in northern Lebanon...

WaPo:
Hezbollah's relocation of rocket sites to Lebanon's interior poses wider threat

Quote:
BEIRUT -- Hezbollah has dispersed its long-range-rocket sites deep into northern Lebanon and the Bekaa Valley, a move that analysts say threatens to broaden any future conflict between the Islamist movement and Israel into a war between the two countries.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

*waiting for someone to explain why hezbollah's actions are justified*
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's easy, if they keep the rockets near the border Israel might take 'em out.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Trying to justify drawing Lebanon into the conflict. Trying to say we're the evil ones for helping Israel to kill everyone in the Middle East. Or perhaps Lebanon is finally openly showing it's support of the Palestinian terrorists. Who knows? All I know is, Israel will defend itself no matter where they hide.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
*waiting for someone to explain why hezbollah's actions are justified*
Don't look for justification in any war or conflict. Both sides are concerned with tactics and strategy.

Hezbollah is putting missiles further into the interior because:

1) They can. Lebanon can't stop them and the rockets have the range.
2) They cut out any UN interference.
3) They have more warning of attack or counter-attack.

So basically they have missile sites in the interior of Lebanon for the same reason the US built ICBM sites in Kansas, because it makes tactical sense for them. Politically, this might hurt them in the eyes of the world, but I'm guessing they don't care much. People's positions have mostly ossified and they won't lose their supporters over something like this. While Christians in Lebanon might support or hold a neutral position on Israel, the rest of the country is at the least suspicious. The army is seen as weak because it is.

Lebanon's army has never tried to stop an Israeli invasion. Even though Israel is invading because of Hezbollah, I don't think a lot of the populace blame Hezbollah. I'm guessing that they might see Hezbollah as their militia.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
So basically they have missile sites in the interior of Lebanon for the same reason the US built ICBM sites in Kansas, because it makes tactical sense for them.
Obvious to anyone viewing the conflict from all sides.

Hands down, the #1 source of all conflict stems from Israel’s continuing settlement construction in the West Bank. Other problems created by Israel was the unjustified invasion of Lebanon. Those pesky rockets are less threats than automobiles in Israel. And only exists due to Israel's extremist right wing politics - which actions are the only reason that Hezbollah exists.

A fact unknown to those who did not learn how to view from all sides - whose opinions are based in propaganda.

More propaganda - Hezbollah is a threat to American. Complete nonsense. Hezbollah enforces a 'no attack on Americans' policy. That also known only if viewing the conflict from all sides.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Hezbollah enforces a 'no attack on Americans' policy. That also known only if viewing the conflict from all sides.
Skip to 1:40 to hear one million Hezbollah in the Beruit streets chanting Death to America.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Those pesky rockets are less threats than automobiles in Israel.
I can't agree with you there. While inaccurate, the rockets are accurate enough to hit settlements. Hezbollah does this knowing Israel will have to retaliate. The Lebanese are caught in the middle. The Lebanese army can't or won't control Hezbollah.

Israel has made a lot of mistakes, but they have a right to be paranoid. Almost everyone in that region is out to get them.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Almost everyone in that region is out to get them.
Jordan? Egypt? Saudi Arabia?

Not likely. Hezbollah only exists and how influence because of Israel's actions. And since Israel’s botched invasion, Hezbollah has never been more powerful and popular.

More interesting was an hour long discussion on Charlie Rose by a Saudi family member. Insight into the world like few have which is why Charlie spent the entire hour only on that interview.

A Middle East peace is stuck on but a few minor points – according to him. However Hezbollah is a problem. Contrary to popular beliefs, Hezbollah remains an independent organization. As influenced by Iran as Israel is controlled by the US. Independent enough that negotiation with Hezbollah are probably necessary to create any useful peace.

Hezbollah has always been available to negotiation. But Hezbollah needs an honest party to negotiate with. Netanyahu is not considered an honest negotiator – which was made even bluntly obvious in his discussion with Sen George Mitchell.

The hype of fear created by those rockets gives Hezbollah credibility. What is the greatest threat to those rockets? A peace settlement that includes Hezbollah as another party.

Of course, no solution is possible as long as the most contentious issue remains - West Bank settlements.

Also interesting (which explains Egypt's recent actions) is Hamas. As the Saudi noted, a peace settlement is easy. Just ignore Hamas. That could completely destroy Hamas. But only if Israel negotiates with the Palestinian Authority in a responsible manner - which was not happening.

That is Mitchell's task. To establish negotiators that have credibility among the counter parties. And yes, many counter parties exist making his task complex.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Skip to 1:40 to hear one million Hezbollah in the Beruit streets chanting Death to America.
And Rush Limbaugh preaches what? Rhetoric and reality are not always same. Want to see what extremists in every organization promote? Then simply YouTube Hannity to see how Americans openly advocate the murder of Arabs. Classic misguided propaganda.

So now we have opinions based in one sided view rather than view all viewpoints.

Reality - Hezbollah has a leadership dictate. No harm to Americans.

Now you can hype the accidental death of American. But then forget the Israeli tank that also intentionally drove over an American girl. Which proves that Israelis also want to kill Americans. Or the Israeli spy caught in the US because Israel secretly want to subvert the US.

Meanwhile, back to reality. Hezbollah's policy is to not attack Americans and America - regardless of rhetoric from extremists and single sided viewpoints.

Let’s not forget that American stands for liberty, human rights, and the rule of law. And so we have Guantanamo. How much more rhetoric need we add so that potential peace cannot happen?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
But then forget the Israeli tank that also intentionally drove over an American girl.
Bulldozer?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
lookout123
changed his status to single

Oh, geez I remember that one. If you don't want to get run over don't protest by standing in front of a moving bulldozer.

regardless of the validity of one's cause, standing in front of bulldozer is a good way to get dead.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

They're doin' it now while everyone is looking at Haiti. Classic move.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Before 9/11, Hezbollah killed more Americans via terrorism than any other person or organization.

Quote:
What is the greatest threat to those rockets? A peace settlement that includes Hezbollah as another party.
They aren't interested in peace, because their entire power comes from the 50-100 million dollars of Iranian weaponry supplied to them every year.

They aren't interested in peace; they kill peacekeeping forces.

Meanwhile, notice. Israel left Lebanon. Then they were attacked from there. Israel left Gaza. Then they were attacked from there. So now the "peace solution" is get Israel out of the West Bank? You think it ends there, t? This doesn't seem to work like you think it does.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
This doesn't seem to work like you think it does.
It may not work like you think it does either. It may not all be propaganda and racism that causes the surrounding people to hate Israel.