The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #46
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Curiouser and curiouser... Leakers leaking to the leaker

The Telegraph
Nov 30, 2010

Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder fears he could be arrested

Quote:
Julian Assange, the Australian founder of Wikileaks, has said he has been warned
by "inside sources in the White House" not to return to the US as he could be arrested.

Quote:
The 39 year-old told journalists at the Frontline Club last night that US government insiders
had informed him about discussions to charge him as a co-conspirator to espionage.

The discussions were later dropped.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #47
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I was wondering . . . I would think making the US look stupid would make her, literally, swoon with glee.
Hmm. I don't get that off of Ali. While she prefers Oz to all other lands of her experience, what of that? It is unremarkable -- many Americans who have experience of Australia can certainly understand why she might. At its worst Oz may be a tetch flyblown and has some very unsympathetic reptiles here and there (some of them hanging around in the boozers going from twolegged to legless), but it's no pesthole.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #48
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
National Review

Aliantha, Zen: could you two inform Mr. Assange what an article of incestuous personnel he's being? He might believe it more if it's coming from two Australians. He's got too much of a desire to smirch and impair the hope of the world. He's making Australians look bad. He does not seem to grasp that.
I don't think he is making Australians look bad any more than Bush makes all Americans look bad. But I would be interested in what their government thinks about it and if they would have any suggestions on how to stop him.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #49
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well, we have a limit of two terms as president, so, we got that going for us, which is nice.

We survived him, we'll survive this guy too.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #50
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
the shit he is doing is right up her line of liberal blahblahblah. I would think making the US look stupid would make her, literally, swoon with glee.
Complete and Utter Bullshit.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #51
Lamplighter

This is going to put some people's tail in a twist...

OneIndia News
WikiLeaks founder Assange asks Hillary to resign

Quote:
New York, Dec 1: The whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange
urged the United States Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, to resign the post.

During an interview with Time magazine on Tuesday, Nov 30, Julian Assange asked Hillary to resign
for ordering US officials to spy on United Nations leadership.

"She should resign, if it can be shown that she was responsible for ordering US diplomatic figures
to engage in espionage in the United Nations, in violation of the international covenants to which
the US has signed up.
Yes, she should resign over that," Assange said.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #52
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

If that is proven she will probably have no choice.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nonsense, she told them to do, or failed to tell them not to do, what every other embassy has been doing since embassies were invented. Anyone who's been paying attention in this country, has know that since the height of cold war, and anyone that read up on international relations long before that.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #54
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
National Review

Aliantha, Zen: could you two inform Mr. Assange what an article of incestuous personnel he's being? He might believe it more if it's coming from two Australians. He's got too much of a desire to smirch and impair the hope of the world. He's making Australians look bad. He does not seem to grasp that.
If I could catch him to tell him so, I'd be doing better than the AFP, so not much chance of that happening I'm afraid.

Quote:
I was wondering why Ali hadn't jumped to Mr. Assange's defense - the shit he is doing is right up her line of liberal blahblahblah but she is AWOL it seems. I would think making the US look stupid would make her, literally, swoon with glee. but, since merc is having none of it, perhaps she's just making herself scarce.
I thought you might have grown up a bit by now.

Since you obviously have been missing me, the reason I've not been around to comment is because there has been a death in my family and it has certainly taken precendence over the likes of Mr Assange and yourself.

Quote:
Hmm. I don't get that off of Ali. While she prefers Oz to all other lands of her experience, what of that? It is unremarkable -- many Americans who have experience of Australia can certainly understand why she might. At its worst Oz may be a tetch flyblown and has some very unsympathetic reptiles here and there (some of them hanging around in the boozers going from twolegged to legless), but it's no pesthole.
That's pretty much all true UG. And I certainly don't get any glee out of seeing the US look bad. I suppose there are those who obviously will never believe that even though quite clearly, even in this little space, I have American friends. Why would I measure them all the same? There are arseholes in America that's for sure, but there are plenty of pretty special people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I don't think he is making Australians look bad any more than Bush makes all Americans look bad. But I would be interested in what their government thinks about it and if they would have any suggestions on how to stop him.
Our government is just as eager to catch him as yours is Merc. He's causing all sorts of headaches for those in power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Complete and Utter Bullshit.
Agreed!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He's in England, they'll take anybody.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #56
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah, it's my understanding that the hunt is in the hands of interpol now.

One question I did wonder about are his actions being labled (by the US) as treason. If he's not a citizen of the US, doesn't that mean the crime must fall under some other lable? I agree he's not helping anyone much with the sort of leaks he's responsible for, but it'd seem to me that the worst the US could get him for are computer crimes.

I don't know much about the law though, but I did wonder.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or espionage? I think the treason was referring to the soldier that stole the information, and treasonous for the act. At least that's the way I read it, but journalists and bloggers have been throwing so much shit around it's hard to tell who said what.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #58
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

funny how old sweetie pie pants showed up just when she did...weird.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #59
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Or espionage? I think the treason was referring to the soldier that stole the information, and treasonous for the act. At least that's the way I read it, but journalists and bloggers have been throwing so much shit around it's hard to tell who said what.
I think that is the route to go, co-conspirator in an act of espionage. Treason is only for American citizens and has some pretty high benchmarks as defined in law. I was listening to a talking head on NPR yesterday about this very subject. It was pretty interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ge-act-charges

Last edited by TheMercenary; 12-01-2010 at 09:22 AM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #60
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
I was wondering why Ali hadn't jumped to Mr. Assange's defense - the shit he is doing is right up her line of liberal blahblahblah but she is AWOL it seems. I would think making the US look stupid would make her, literally, swoon with glee. but, since merc is having none of it, perhaps she's just making herself scarce.
The only time I think people are gleefully sucking up bad news about the U.S. is when they constantly say, 'you merkin's' more than they address any one person. Leads me to think they don't see individuals, but a whole cast of people not up to their level. I don't see that in Ali.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote