The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #46
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

A lack of a public education system is not a lack of an education system. It just means we'll have no government involvement where it doesn't belong.

If you think having educated children is a benefit to "society", than having better educated kids offers MORE benefit. Giving kids a government education is a disservice to them and to "society".

By the way there is no such thing as "society". Society is nothing more than a bunch of individuals. A society of a billion people has non more rights than a single person.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #47
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
By the way there is no such thing as "society". Society is nothing more than a bunch of individuals.
I have nothing significant to add. I'm just reveling in the irony of you saying a concept doesn't exist, and then in the very next sentence defining that concept in a way that does exist.

Delicious!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

There is no irony for you to feast on. I was merely pointing out the fact that there is no entity known as "society". The word "society" merely describes a bunch of individuals. "Society" has no rights. Only individuals do.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #49
glatt

Radar, did you attend public school?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #50
lookout123
changed his status to single

i think that is fairly evident from his gaps in logic and reasoning.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #51
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I think my education is far superior to yours since you fail to see that there are no gaps in my logic or reasoning. I suppose it's something you must tell yourself to feel better since I constantly beat you in debates.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #52
glatt

You seem to be avoiding my question.

I think you did go to public school.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #53
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Radar - Mr. Semi-mantics
fixed that for you
Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #54
lookout123
changed his status to single

you got it sugar. but to be fair i don't know that we've ever had a debate.

Debate:

A: My point is X.

B: You are incorrect. Y is actually accurate because these three reasons: __________.

A: Ah, I see what you're saying, but reasons 1 and 2 don't stand up because of __________, so therefore your idea is incorrect.

and it follows in that pattern until an agreement is reached or all the evidence has been laid out but no minds have changed.

Radar's Debate Format:

A: I feel the government should ___________.

Radar: You're wrong, the constituition says ___________.

A: I disagree with your interpretation of the document.

Radar: You're wrong, the constituition says ___________!

A: I think the flaw in your reasoning is _____________.

Radar: You're wrong, the constituition says ___________.

A: Have you considered ___________?

Radar: You're wrong, the constituition says ___________. And you are stoopid compared to me. I rule, you suck and you even smell bad too. And if you don't agree I'll kill a border patrol agent for carrying out illegitimate orders and I'll be right cuz you suck!!!

A: WTF?

Radar: See? I win all debates due to my superior intellect and education.

Now, would you care to tell me I'm wrong about your debate style? or will it just be easier to say you've read a document with the One True Understanding ingrained upon your soul so everything and everyone else is irrelevent?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #55
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Your conversational style chafes me. I disagree with most of what you've posted in this conversation. Your "logic" is faulty. You assert and then build on those assertions. But you build on sand.
[halloffame]This is a Hall of Fame Statement for any discussion with Radars whacked out thinking.[/halloffame]

There are many many good public schools that do a very good time educating our kids. Everyone pays for something, this is just another example of something paid for.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #56
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Actaully it goes a bit more like this.

Lookout123: The federal government should provide meals for all hungry people.

Radar: The role and scope of the federal government is limited to only doing what is specifically enumerated in the Constitution. But even if this were an enumerated power, the government would be horrible at it, and we'd be better off with something more efficient like private charities.

Lookout123: I disagree with the way you INTERPRET the Constitution.

Radar: I don't interpret the Constitution, I read it. There is no "interpretation" involved. It wasn't written in Swahili, it was written in English, and the words in the Constitution specifically prohibit the federal government from taking part in or legislating anything other than the enumerated powers. This prohibition is in the 10th amendment which the founders wrote specifically to prevent anyone from claiming the federal government has "implied powers" and to place strict limits on the powers of government.

Lookout123: The flaw in your logic is that you don't agree with me in making a bogus claim that the federal government has any powers it wants to have including providing food for everyone.

Radar: There is no flaw in my logic. There is no wiggle room. It is a black and white issue. It's a binary function. The federal government may have powers other than those enumerated or it can't. I've provided a reference to the part of the Constitution that says in no uncertain terms that the federal government may not do anything other than the specific enumerated powers.

Lookout123: Have you considered that hungry people need to eat?

Radar: Yes, but this doesn't grant the federal government the power to feed them.

Lookout123: Oh, so repeating it makes it true?

Radar: No, the fact that it's true makes it true.

Lookout123: You are unreasonable and no matter what you say, you are "interpreting" the Constitution.

Radar: No, I'm not so stop lying about this.

Lookout123:
Oh, calling me a liar now. You have to resort to name calling.

Radar: No, I'm using an accurate description of a person who tells lies.

etc...etc...ad nauseum.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #57
TheMercenary

After reading the last 4 pages I realized I forgot one~~~~~~>

Why California Sucks Ass!!!

Radar.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #58
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Radar, did you attend public school?
Whether or not I personally went to public school is irrelevant. The anecdotal evidence of a single person has no bearing on the state of the public education system as a whole. Also, the public education system has been steadily declining for the last 50 years and has gotten progressively worse at an alarming rate since Ronald Reagan created the federal Department of Education.

The failure of public schools has nothing to do with the amount of money they receive. On average in America, public schools get about $10,770 per pupil per year. The average tuition of a private school is $6,600 and on average the students get a better education than public schools.

When I ran for Congress, I suggested we give any person or company a dollar for dollar tax credit for any kids they send to private schools. They don't even have to be their own kids. This means if I have a $30,000 tax burden, and I choose to spend $19,800 to send 3 poor kids to a private school, my tax burden is reduced to $10,200. A business could choose to send hundreds or thousands of kids to schools.

This would also give the American people a choice of where their tax dollars are spent. If I don't want my tax money going to fund an illegal war, I can choose to spend it to provide a service the government normally provides. For the first time, Americans could choose to spend the money to send poor kids to school, to feed hungry people, to buy medicine for the elderly, etc. and all of the money would go to those in need rather than to the federal government to be spent on pork.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #59
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
...and all of the money would go to those in need rather than to the federal government to be spent on pork.
Kids who go to public schools are not pigs.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #60
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Kids who go to public schools are not pigs.
I disagree. I have to try to teach them once they've emerged from 12 years of public education. The metaphor stands.