The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I Need a New Phone and I am Conflicted ...

Okay, it's time. Not only am I past my upgrade time, but my Crackberry Bold is acting funny, not always ringing for calls, battery life issues, and the speakers aren't really beefy enough to hear well, even on top volume, so I can't really use it for hands free, etc.

So, I need a new phone.

And for the first time ever, I have no idea which one I want.

I could go for a Blackberry Torch, which would give me some touch screen, the Blackberry Keyboard, which I like, and a familiar interface.

I could go for an iPhone, although I hear the iPhone 5 is coming out in July with some significant technology upgrades, but Apple is the new Microsoft, IMHO, and represents a cool, but still evil, single-party provider.

And then there's Android ... but there are so many devices it's available on and I have no feel for which is the best one. Is Angry Birds really cool enough to justify this?

And do I go 3G or 4G?

So, this is by no means simple.

Every other time I've bought a phone I've walked into an AT&T store and said gimme (particular brand and model).

I've never had to be "sold" a phone.

Help me, please.

I've even had a long conversation with the convenience store night guy (who has an HTC Windows phone, like HTC, hates the Windows environment, says it crashes a lot).

My only real requirement is that it must run Kindle for (OS).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Word is there will not be a new Apple handset this year. Instead they will be focusing on software updates. So I wouldn't count on a new one coming out this summer.

I got an HTC EVO running Android 2.2 on Sprint recently and I love it. Snappy, responsive, clean and intuitive interface. Does everything I need it to. Also got an extended battery with it so I can use it heavily (GPS turn by turn navigation for work, constantly on the internet, going through spotty service areas like our damn truck bay where it has to keep searching for a signal, etc.) and it lasts a good 10 hours of heavy usage. Nice big and bright screen.

HTC + Android = win. They make solid, quality handsets, and their Sense UI overlayed onto Android is great. And yes there is a Kindle application for Android.

Might as well go 4g since your data plan for a 3g phone will incur the costs anyway.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
glatt

I have the Blackberry Torch. I like it. It was issued to me through work, so I never looked at any other phones. I can't compare it to anything, so my input is of limited value.

I don't like the onscreen keyboard. I always slide it open and use the real keyboard, which works well enough. It's my first phone with a camera, and the images are surprisingly good quality.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I like my i-phone4. Though my network provider sucks.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
glatt

I know a phone is for phone calls, but let me post a picture I took a few days ago with my Blackberry Torch. First is a scaled down version of the image, so you can get the overall feel. Second is a detail of the image at full resolution. I'm thrilled to have such a decent camera in my pocket at all times. Look how well it focuses.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Word is there will not be a new Apple handset this year. Instead they will be focusing on software updates. So I wouldn't count on a new one coming out this summer.
Maybe but...
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I love my lg optimus s. It is smaller than the droid, but does all the cool shit. I only wish it had a flash for the camera.

Oh, and it was free!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
That's for the white colored iphone4. Not a new physical design.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Okay, so now the rumor is that the iPhone 5 will not be premiered this June/July ... oh dear.

So that leaves me back at Android is so hip and so new and Blackberry is so familiar ... I do thank you, glatt for the street report on the Torch, which is the leading candidate right now (also because it's $50, rather than the $200 they want for the 4G Android).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
kerosene
Touring the facilities

We have tmobile. Husband got the G2 and I got the samsung something or other. Both are 4g. It makes a huge difference for us. We both had 3g before. Both phones are android. His has a flip out kb which he likes because he doesn't have to "swype" stuff. His was around 100 bucks before rebate (which we just got in the mail and makes the phone "free.") Mine was 200 which had a 50.00 rebate. I would recommend either one of these phones...probably his more so if you like a "real" kb. They both have giant screens and mine has no camera flash, where his does.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
mbpark
Lecturer

iPhone

I have been running several phones for testing at work on the Verizon network:

iPhone 4
Blackberry Bold
LG Ally (Android 2.2)

Don't get the Blackberry. OS 6 is utter crap, and RIM will have to offer OS 6.1 as a bugfix. I ran the VZW BB Bold with OS 6, and have a customer on 5 whom I will not upgrade.

RIM has really gone downhill with OS 6, and I let our Verizon rep know it. It has serious performance issues. I have the top Blackberry Verizon offers, and my old RIM 957 performed better.

The iPhone 4 on Verizon is awesome. It works everywhere, is really fast, and has excellent reception. The device is great for work, and yes I use it with Microsoft Exchange Server. Apple has made a better corporate phone than Microsoft ever could.

The LG Ally is also very nice. Caveat emptor: Android phones require a GMail account to use. If you're OK with Google having access to your private information, then by all means go for an Android phone. I looked at the Xoom as well. Nice, but unstable.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I must admit I much prefer my i-phone since I phoned the customer support for my network and discovered a 'cure' for most of the problems it was giving me. And since I got my in-house wi-fi sorted out.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

People who aren't sure if they should buy an iPhone ... should not buy an iPhone.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I just upgraded to the iPhone4 from the 3GS 2 weeks ago and love it.

I have a Droid for work...it's cool, but I'm just not a big fan of Android. And I'm not exactly a big Mac person either.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I know a phone is for phone calls, but let me post a picture I took a few days ago
Beautiful pics.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote