The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-03-2001, 10:36 AM   #16
Daveman
Rapscallion

Angry Used to live in Newark

Hope this photographer doesn't leave his camera in his car too long or it will be last time he sees that shiny SLR. I had my window smashed just because I had a hook for a radar detector on my windshield. I refuse to even visit that filthy city anymore. It is a shame too because Newark had a lot of potential at one point in its history.
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:01 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by CyclopONE

What do you miss most about Chicago? The food? The people? Wrigley Field?
To be honest, it's a bit of everything.

I'm not from Chicago (originally from St. Louis), but my ex-fiance used to live in the Ukrainian Village (Western & Chicago Aves.). I spent a lot of time up there in 1998 and part of 1999, and really got to know the city...to the point that I had planned (on two occasions) to move there. I miss ordering the $5 burrito from Si Senor Tacos on S. Cicero Ave. I miss riding the Red Line through N. Chicago. I miss driving along Sheridan Rd. and looking out at Lake Michigan. I miss looking up at the Sears Tower while in front of it and being awed. *can't remember the name of the breakfast joint at S. California and 71st St.* Damn, that was good too. And of course, all the museums.

Chicago is a truly amazing city, much like Philadelphia. There really isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the two, with the exceptions of population (Chicago is 2x bigger) and the transit system (CTA kicks all possible ass, particularly on SEPTA). But there is just something about Chicago...I don't know if it is the impression burned on me as a wide-eyed 16-year old or what.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:46 PM   #18
elSicomoro

Chicagoscapes

Actually Cyc (and anyone else), you might be interested in my <A HREF="http://syc75.tripod.com/chicago.html">Chicagoscapes</a> photo gallery on my website.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:11 PM   #19
CyclopONE
Regulator of Squalor

Re: Chicagoscapes

Syc,

Thanks for showing me your Chicago pics. Definitely the good stuff. =). Have you gone up on the Observation Deck on Sears Tower? Great views there from the Tallest Building In The World with lots of good Kodak Moments (architectural differences aside, Sears Tower is the REAL building, unlike the "spires" at Petronas Towers in Malyasia).

And nothing beats summer in Chicago than a good baseball game at Wrigley Field and then the annual Consumption of Mass Quantities Festival, formally known as the Taste of Chicago. Oh yeah, throughout my childhood, I often went to the Museum of Science and Industry. It's still my favorite museum. I just love that huge mini-train town they have, and the OmniMax theatre, and the U-505, and the mine shaft and I could go on and on.

You probably know this, just a few blocks east of the Museum of Science and Industry lies the eminent University of Chicago. That's where I got my education from pre-school to 8th grade at Laboratory Schools. The U of C has a good sculpture next to "The Reg" (U of C's monstrous library), titled "Nuclear" marking the spot where mankind harnessed the power of the atom. A good photo op. =)

And I can't forget the best pizza restaurant in Chicago (and all of North America), Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, home of the best old style Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. I tell you, you haven't had real pizza until you taste this.

Oh yeah, my favorite Chicago movie? I have two: "Ferris Bueller's Day off" and "The Fugitive". =P

-Cyc
Old 07-06-2001, 06:53 AM   #20
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Re: Re: Chicagoscapes

Quote:
Syc,

<snip> The U of C has a good sculpture next to "The Reg" (U of C's monstrous library), titled "Nuclear" marking the spot where mankind harnessed the power of the atom. A good photo op. =)

<snip>
-Cyc
Cyc,
My wife's Great Uncle was one of the men there that day. I've seen pictures of him in front of the pile
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 03:59 PM   #21
elSicomoro

Re: Re: Chicagoscapes

Quote:
Thanks for showing me your Chicago pics. Definitely the good stuff. =). Have you gone up on the Observation Deck on Sears Tower? Great views there from the Tallest Building In The World with lots of good Kodak Moments (architectural differences aside, Sears Tower is the REAL building, unlike the "spires" at Petronas Towers in Malyasia).
Nope...never actually BEEN in the Sears Tower. Went to the Hancock Deck in 1992...it was a bit of a cloudy night, which would have ruined the view from the Sears (or so I've heard). Great view from the Hancock Tower though.

What if the Wacker Drive building goes through? 2000 feet??? Yikes!

(We were in the elevator going up to the 95th floor at the Hancock Tower, when I noticed a security camera in there. Being an obnoxious 16-year old, I yelled, "HI!!!" A second later, a voice replies, "Hi there. Have a great time on the deck!" Apparently, it was a security guard in the control room. Needless to say, I almost fainted.)

Never seen the Cubs at Wrigley, although I saw the Sox at Comiskey that same week. Nice stadium, although at the time, the view of the Robert Jones Homes wasn't so pleasant.

Quote:
You probably know this, just a few blocks east of the Museum of Science and Industry lies the eminent University of Chicago.
I always knew where it was, but I never got a chance to visit UC (or Jackson Park for that matter). I know that the school is one of the best, but I've also heard cool things about the neighborhood over there.

There is a sign at S. Cicero and 67th, right across from the Hotel Complex. It has a nuke with a red cross-out around it and the words: Chicago, a nuclear-free city. I have a picture of it somewhere that I'll put up in IOTD one of these days.

Quote:
And I can't forget the best pizza restaurant in Chicago (and all of North America), Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, home of the best old style Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. I tell you, you haven't had real pizza until you taste this.
I dunno Cyc...the original Pizzeria Uno makes a killer pizza too. (Not that the Pizzeria Uno chain is bad, because it's quite good. But there's something about the original one on Wabash and Ontario.)

Quote:
Oh yeah, my favorite Chicago movie? I have two: "Ferris Bueller's Day off" and "The Fugitive". =P
How could you NOT dig Ferris Bueller? One of my all-time faves.

I've been to two concerts while in Chicago: The Reverend Horton Heat at the Riviera and Depeche Mode at the Horizon (now Allstate Arena...blecch!)...both in 1998. The Riviera was a cool little joint, although I believe the original venue was supposed to be the Aragon. Now THAT would have been sweet. The Horizon wasn't bad...decent acoustics given that it's an indoor venue.