The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #1111
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That there is some serious ass quel dommage, Griff.
I hope you can find relief from that.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1112
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks. It has calmed down, but I get really on edge when its like this, so the ladies are giving me my space.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #1113
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

I got pulled over by the police when riding my bike. He thought I stole it.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1114
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Mulling over whether to move to SF or not. I technically accepted, but the background check is still pending, so I wouldn't feel too bad about backing out at this point.

I enjoy my quiet mountain town in some ways and am endlessly irritated by it in others (especially _winter_). I wish it were easier to make a decision and stick to it.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1115
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Excessive heat and humidity leading to some combination of dehydration and general misery causing my skin to freak out. Am forcing fluids the itching feels better than last night.
If you're truly dehydrated, you'll want to boost your electrolytes too.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #1116
Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
Mulling over whether to move to SF or not.
Will it be a big boost in salary? I hear the cost of living there is ginormous.

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #1117
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Will it be a big boost in salary? I hear the cost of living there is ginormous.
$25,000 more per year, but that is a pay cut when you consider cost of living. Would need yet another $25k on top of that for parity. Ridiculous, I know. But a very real consideration, as I'm still paying on student loans and planning to start a family real soon now.

Though they do offer 401k matching, solid bonus plan, stock grants, breakfast, lunch and dinner, et cetera. It's like joining a commune. So the pay might be about parity if I boiled all that down to cash (ignoring that I will probably work a few more hours per week).

The work however is more exciting. The prospect of living in a city is kind of meh. Cycling to work everyday, cool. Stuff to do that isn't just running stupid distances, cool. So. Fuggin'. Many people. Not cool.

It's silly but I also have moral/ethical issues with the behavior of the parent company (the company I would work for is a recent acquisition and still maintaining it's culture and allowed a good degree of autonomy). Especially the company's past behavior. Now they are more or less an industry joke. (I'm sure some of you can guess/google both companies now.)

I feel very privileged and like a total asshole to be offered north of 6 figures and be like "Not enough money for me to move. Thanks though."
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #1118
Pete Zicato

@PW

Time to do the pro/con lists thing.

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #1119
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle
breakfast, lunch and dinner, et cetera.
This is one of those things that can suck, or be really and truly awesome. F'rinstance, my old employer used to provide "dinner," but it was because they were also demanding 80-100 hour work weeks, and they felt like giant sloppy trays of Taco Cabana was a fair trade. On the other hand, Mr. Clod's employer has a professional catering company providing full lunches everyday--including special diet options, even for the one guy who is deathly allergic to onions--as well as a steady stream of quality snacks, fruits, chicken salads, etc. for other times of day. The money we no longer spend on his breakfast or lunch really does add up, plus it's so much healthier than what he was choosing on his own.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #1120
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
@PW

Time to do the pro/con lists thing.
Does not work on this one. The moral algebra comes out about even either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This is one of those things that can suck, or be really and truly awesome. F'rinstance, my old employer used to provide "dinner," but it was because they were also demanding 80-100 hour work weeks, and they felt like giant sloppy trays of Taco Cabana was a fair trade. On the other hand, Mr. Clod's employer has a professional catering company providing full lunches everyday--including special diet options, even for the one guy who is deathly allergic to onions--as well as a steady stream of quality snacks, fruits, chicken salads, etc. for other times of day. The money we no longer spend on his breakfast or lunch really does add up, plus it's so much healthier than what he was choosing on his own.
This place has professional caterers. The emphasis is on healthy food. Guaranteed to be much more healthy than what I usually eat. (Today: McDonald's for breakfast; cambozola and crackers for lunch; eggs, cheese, english muffins for dinner -- what are vegetables?).

The dinner doesn't seem like a work-late incentive either, as they will box up a meal for your entire family for you to take home.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #1121
Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
Does not work on this one. The moral algebra comes out about even either way.
Did you weight the entries? If so, then you've got your answer. It's a lot of work to pick up and move.

Or you can use the coin toss method. Toss a coin. Whichever side you hope it will come up is what you really want to do.

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1122
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So this morning, traffic was awful, backed up bumper-to-bumper all the way to my entrance to the highway, which is extremely unusual. We inch along and inch along, waiting to get past the big wreck that surely must have caused all this. Finally we get to the source: a bunch of jacknuts on the highway overpass above, holding a big banner that says "Get your [Democratic donkey clipart] out of our [White House clipart]!! There were a few other miscellaneous signs too, like "Justice for Benghazi" and "Honk if You Support Impeachment."

The traffic jam was entirely a result of people slowing down to read the signs and try to figure out what was going on, and it added 25 minutes to my commute.

Of course it didn't help that I disagree with their political statements, but for Christ's sake, I don't care what side you're on, you don't fuck up the morning commute for 10,000 people just because you want to make a dramatic statement without actually participating in the political process in any meaningful way.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #1123
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:

Or you can use the coin toss method. Toss a coin. Whichever side you hope it will come up is what you really want to do.
I use this method now and again. You have to really believe that you'll do what the coin says ... and then go with your gut reaction.

Sent by thought transference
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1124
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

But the people who will do that don't operate on office hours and don't care about 10,000 people who are trying to actually support their families and be fiscally responsible.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #1125
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
But the people who will do that don't operate on office hours and don't care about 10,000 people who are trying to actually support their families and be fiscally responsible.
In other words, tea parties and republicans?