The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

$6 Gas; what's your guess?

This thread is mostly for Americans (which includes, of course, Canadians and Mexicans) - Europeans will think gas/petrol at $6/gallon is cheap. I don't know about Australians.

How would $6/gallon affect you? Would it be a minor irritant, would it change your habits? Would you buy a bicycle, or trade your monster truck for a Chevy Volt?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42683030?__source=otbrn|outbrainext20110422151708|&par=otbrn

Quote:
Hastings sees gasoline having "no problem" getting to $6.50 a gallon over the summer after increased demand and storm disruptions come into play.
I think that gas over $4/gallon would reduce demand, and decrease the chance of getting to $6. High unemployment, combined with demand reduction due to more fuel efficient and electric vehicles, I predict the US average gas price will top out at no more than $5.25 per gallon in 2011 (with higher prices in California and Alaska). As we get farther above $5/gallon, more people will lose their jobs, further decreasing demand.

What's your guess?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I'd say you're in the ballpark there. Natural gas is going to get some play as well when things cross the $4 barrier.

I'm already driving smaller, but it is a choice not a necessity at this point. My commute would be wicked dangerous by bike so it won't play out that way. Maybe I'll stay home and write that novel.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
HungLikeJesus

This is an isolated and extreme case, and not an example of the general trend, but
Orlando gas station charges $5.69 a gallon

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/22/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

This is just one company taking advantage of out-of-town customers.

I would be very angry if I went to that gas station.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

It will be harder for people to make it around here. Most of the decent paying jobs are in Denver. If we are paying 50 a day for the commute, it will cut income back quite a bit. Unemployed people will limit their searching to the nearby area and stay unemployed longer.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I'd be pretty screwed, my job is about 30miles away. I might demand to be allowed to work from home (it is possible, just not ideal). I have no useful public transport nearby or I would have been using it a long time ago.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'm currently paying $1.35 to $1.49 ... per litre!

Multiplying by 4.5 produces $6 to $6.70 per gallon.

I live about 8km (5 miles) from work, which takes about a litre of fuel, allowing for traffic and such. Hence my commute costs about 1.40 each way in fuel, plus about 50 cents per day for the annual parking permit. Allowing for general expenses, it is probably about $5 per day for commuting.

Doing the same trip by bus would cost between six and seven dollars (per day), and take longer and be less convenient.

However, I would eventually like to move to a place that (a) I own and (b) is a bit more in the hills/countryside. I am limited in my choices because I want to keep my commuting distance down.

Even at this $6/gallon, Australians still drive. We just complain more. We drive because we have to.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

$6 gas won't affect me a whole lot, unless it causes other prices to rise--like groceries. Cab fares will undoubtedly go up, but I rarely take those anymore.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I'm currently paying $1.35 to $1.49 ... per litre!

Multiplying by 4.5 produces $6 to $6.70 per gallon.

We have smaller gallons in the US - they only hold about 3.8 liters. $1.5 per liter = ~$5.70/US gallon. Still a lot.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
We have smaller gallons in the US - they only hold about 3.8 liters. $1.5 per liter = ~$5.70/US gallon. Still a lot.
Thanks.

I just remembered, though, that those prices are for the 91 octane fuel (which is what they put on the big sign board because it is the cheapest). My Subaru wants 95 octane, which is about 10 cents per litre more. Which is 38 cents per US gallon, which gets us back to about $6.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Our gas is hovering right about $3.67, give or take. As in the last spike the independent business person will take it in the shorts first. We saw many a small trucking company close their doors and lay people off as the gas prices approached $4, many places are way above that now.

In the end, I imagine that like in Zen's case, we will just complain more and keep driving.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
In the end, I imagine that like in Zen's case, we will just complain more and keep driving.
That's what people do here too.

But it's rare to live as far away from work as people do in America or Australia. 30 miles is a long distance commute - most people would move closer to their work than endure that daily.

Quote:
In January 2011, for a sample postcode the average unleaded price was 129p/litre, the highest price was 136p and the cheapest price 124p.
Someone better at maths than me can work out what this is in $/ gallon
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I commute 90 miles a day. There are no options for public transportation or even car-pooling. Even getting decent mileage it hurts the bottom line. And my bottom.

But what to do? We're at the mercy of whoever is getting fat off this and I join the ranks of 'complain and keep driving.'
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
lupin..the..3rd
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I commute 90 miles a day. There are no options for public transportation or even car-pooling. Even getting decent mileage it hurts the bottom line. And my bottom.

But what to do? We're at the mercy of whoever is getting fat off this and I join the ranks of 'complain and keep driving.'
Or you could just move. 90 miles a day is insanity. I know- I used to do that myself years ago. And then I realized that by moving closer in to the city, sure, housing costs are higher, but with the many $hundreds of dollars per month saved on gas and car maintenance, it's a wash. And now I have a few more free hours in my day, instead of throwing that time away sitting in the car. My commute now is 2 miles. I go home for lunch every day, and on nice days, I walk to work. I will never ever go back to long-distance commuting. The hassle, expense, and hours of my life lost just aren't worth it IMO.

Last edited by lupin..the..3rd; 04-23-2011 at 02:54 PM.
lupin..the..3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've certainly considered moving, but that's an expense I can't really take on right now either.

Some changes are going on at my old job. I talked to my sis-in-law and her best friend yesterday, both fairly biggy-wiggy at the place, and mentioned I'd come back if certain changes occurred.

I was about 5 minutes from work back then. The pay raise was indeed worth it, when I left, even considering gas and wear and tear on the car. Now, it's not only way more expensive, it's soul-sucking.

It's been raining for weeks. Nothing but accidents on my commute, every day.

I am tired of the commute. Tired of the traffic. Tired of the city.

p.s. I exaggerated on my commute, it's more like 60 miles a day (was thinking minutes as miles, which would be true except for a large portion of the drive all traffic is going about about 20-30 miles per hour, then stopping, then starting...more wear and tear than a straight shot unencumbered by thousands of people and interminable construction.) Of course, I do drive other places too.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
HungLikeJesus

Have you considered getting a donkey?

I'd like a donkey.

And I think I'd look good riding one.