The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 13, 2010: Santa Alarm

When Santa arrives with the loot, assuming you've been good boys and girls... which is a hell of a stretch around here... but I digress...
Anyway, after Santa drops his load under your tree, you don't want to be wasting time counting sheep.

The solution, drumroll, The Santa Claus detector...

Quote:
Although few have seen this elusive visitor, in 1882, Clement Moore wrote a poem of his personal encounter entitled “Visit From St. Nicholas” (commonly known as “The Night Before Christmas”). Of course, modern Americans know this magical stranger as Santa Claus. Most believe that he lives at the North Pole with his wife and a band of elves, and that he harnesses a team of magical flying reindeer to pull his sleigh around the world. This year, thanks to the invention of Thomas Cane of San Rafael, California, you might join the ranks of the few who have witnessed Santa Claus in all his splendor.
But what if you can't find, or afford, Cane's Santa Claus detector?
No problem, you can make your own.

Quote:
Mr. Cane has invented a Santa Claus Detector - subject of U.S. Patent No. 5,523,741. Fortunately for you, dear reader, Mr. Cane neglected to pay his maintenance fees, and so the patent expired on June 4, 2000. You are now free to copy his invention and install it in your own home.
link

via
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Coign
Wanted Driver

Is that three shuriken embedded in the top of the stockings? Are we detecting Santa or trying to take the fat man out and get all the loot for ourselves?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

I built a Santa detector when I was a kid... about 5 or 6 years old I think. It was a simple circuit with a crystal earpiece: when dad opened my bedroom door it buzzed in my ear and woke me up. I stayed very still and watched him fill the stocking at the end of my bunk. My younger brother was in the bunk below, his earpiece didn't wake him because it had fallen out despite the sticky tape I'd used on the side of his head. In the morning mum couldn't work out how sticky tape had got inside my brother's ear.