The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #3211
monster
I hear them call the tide

For those who have never been to a high school swim and dive meet, they're weird. They swim 4 events, then stop. They move the lane lines, the divers warm up and they do the diving. I'm bored. There are 8 divers tonight, 6 dives each. when this is all over in like half an hour, they'll put the lane lines back in and the swimmers will warm up again and the swim meet will resume. In each meet there are 3 relays and 10 individual events. The diving -which takes at least 30 minutes -did I mention that- is just ONE of these individual events. Divers will earn a maximum of 15 points for their team. Out or a maximum possible 180. Half a stinking hour, one quarter of the way through the meet. nuts.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, this meet is a given, so they're swimming off events. Swimmer girl is in the 50 free and the backstroke (her worst events). In an olympic competition suit. yes. it's rather strange. They only wear them at championships. Not backwater 3rd division dual meets. I guess she's an official tester. hope she gets to keep it Didn't do anything for her 50 free time, though

Did I mention I'm bored? During the diving. I think we're on the second round now......
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #3212
glatt

Sweet potatoes.

My mother in law came for a visit over the weekend, bearing gifts. The huge farm behind her house had planted sweet potatoes this year, and after the harvest, they had left behind many to simply rot in the field. So she helped herself, as she has done in the past.

What are we going to do with this many sweet potatoes?
Name:  sweet potatoes.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  50.8 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #3213
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Eat them. I heard they're good for you. Hehe... Would ask for some if we were neighbors.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #3214
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Put them in a cool dark place and they'll keep for ages. It wouldn't take my lot too long to go through those.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #3215
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I never even heard of the museum in NYC. So I looked it up in Google Earth. It's just a pier, with barges floating next to it. They have the Concorde exposed to the elements on a barge just a few hundred feet from where ferries go chugging past every ten minutes. It's not like there have been any accidents on the Hudson where errant ferries have smashed into piers. Oh, wait...

They better build a nice building for the shuttle they get, and pull it up onto dry land. At least getting the thing to the museum on a barge should be pretty easy.
OK, so they have had the shuttle Enterprise sitting on this pier in NYC for just about a year. Let's see. So far they smashed it into a bridge abutment when transporting it there, scraping off a wing tip.

And now, the inflatable tent that housed it has collapsed in a weak hurricane, exposing the craft and allowing unknown damage to occur, but at a minimum, the vertical tail has been damaged.

Seems like they should have put it in a real hangar somewhere safer than a pier on the Hudson River.
Name:  Enterprise.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  88.4 KB
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #3216
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Inflatable is pretty much an optimistic synonym for deflatable. Just sayin.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #3217
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
snip--
Seems like they should have put it in a real hangar somewhere safer than a pier on the Hudson River.
Attachment 41422
Like Seattle.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #3218
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I never even heard of the museum in NYC. So I looked it up in Google Earth. It's just a pier, with barges floating next to it. They have the Concorde exposed to the elements on a barge just a few hundred feet from where ferries go chugging past every ten minutes. It's not like there have been any accidents on the Hudson where errant ferries have smashed into piers. Oh, wait...

They better build a nice building for the shuttle they get, and pull it up onto dry land. At least getting the thing to the museum on a barge should be pretty easy.
C'mon, it's not on a barge, or a pier, it's on a fucking aircraft carrier.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #3219
glatt

I wasn't clear where they put the shuttle. The Concorde is on a barge tied to the pier. The aircraft carrier is tied to the pier. I thought when I wrote that last year that the plan was to put the the shuttle on the pier, but it looks like you may be right. It may be on the deck of the carrier tied to the pier, covered with a deflatable bubble.

Edit: found some pictures
Name:  enterprise.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  101.4 KB
In happier times:
Name:  space-shuttle-enterprise-pavilion.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  39.7 KB

Last edited by glatt; 10-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #3220
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I wonder if the inside of the happy bubble used to be painted with a night sky full of stars like a planetarium...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #3221
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Plane'arium
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #3222
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

plane'torn eum
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #3223
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I wonder if the inside of the happy bubble used to be painted with a night sky full of stars like a planetarium...
Nope.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #3224
glatt

I've done a bit of criticizing of NYC's housing the Enterprise. Maybe I should give it a rest. But I won't. That structure is terrible. It's so tight and confining, you can't see a thing. They presumably have some sort of platform near the nose where you can stand and take a picture similar to that one, but other than that, all you can do it look at the belly of the shuttle.

Compare that to the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum in Dulles where you can get long views of the shuttle and similar viewing platform views.

Name:  4065_640.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  134.9 KB

Name:  545970_10151171791454559_1279584572_n.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  71.4 KB
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #3225
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Everybody's seen a million pictures of it, the purpose of putting it on display is so you can see it up close and personal, not gaze from afar. I'm sure the close quarters wouldn't seem confining to city people, they live with it.

The NYC museum started with the aircraft carrier, then expanded along a logical progression to include aircraft. Some carrier based, but also others including the Concorde and Shuttle.

The Udvar Hazy started with an airport... land. A short commodity in NYC.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror