The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-05-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

RIP Ronald Reagan

It is being reported that former President Ronald Reagan has passed on.

Despite the fact that I am a bit of a liberal at heart, I feel that Reagan was one of our finest presidents, and that he started the economic ball rolling for this nation's prosperity during the late 80's and early 90's.

What say you all? I say RIP, Mr. President, and thanks for your service to your country.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

whelll......i can't remember......

i was even less politically aware back then than i am now.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #3
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

He was the last true conservative to hold the office. This is a pretty good primer in why he was the Great Communicator.

He believed that removing the tax burden on everyone would result in an improved economy. The rest of the decade (maybe the rest of the century) proved him right. He believed that political decisions carried moral weight, and decried the oppresion of the Soviet Bloc. He expanded trade and believed in the tireless innovation of the American Spirit. He believed that there was no problem that we could not overcome, and by the weight of his convictions he made us believe it as well. He dragged us out of the Carter recession, and we brought the rest of the world with us.

He was truly a great man, and a great president. I was thirteen when he left office. I wish I could have voted for him. I wish our party still had men like him.

Rest in peace.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For Ronald Ray-Guns;

he's a drugstore truck drivin' man
he' s the head of the Ku Klux Klan
when summer rolls around
he'll be lucky if he's not in town

he's got him a house on the hill
he plays country records till you've had your fill
he's a farmer's friend He's an unhappy gent
but he sure does make difference from the records he plays

well he don't like the young folks I know
he told me one night on his radio show
he's got him a medal he won in the war
weighs five hundred pounds and sleeps on his floor

he's been like a father to me
he's the only DJ, you can hear after three
I'm an all night musician in a rock 'n' roll band
and why he don't like me I can't understand
Old 06-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
blue
Operations Operative

Did he really? Seems a bit vague on the details. I know they reported to the white house yesterday that he wasn't doing so hot.

Haven't seen the news all day, but will check it out now. If true, this saddens me, more than I would have imagined.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothmoniker
He was the last true conservative to hold the office. This is a pretty good primer in why he was the Great Communicator...

He was truly a great man, and a great president. I was thirteen when he left office. I wish I could have voted for him. I wish our party still had men like him.

Rest in peace.

-sm
He was the "great communicator" because he spoke in 4 or 5 word sentences and never used a word that had more than one syllable (he understood his intellectual limits). This appealed to the great unwashed masses. He also had a pretty good grasp of chimpanzee - always useful when talking to congress.

I was 30 when he was elected and I voted against him. Carter had committed the atrocity of conceding the election before the polls had closed in the Western states, so I wrote in Edward Abbey for my choice of president. I still remember how the kids in the college town I was then living in stenciled the name "Watts" on every stop sign in town.

Anyhow, cheer up SM, maybe Bonzo is still alive, eagerly awaiting to take up the reins of leadership from the old "gipper."
Old 06-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
blue
Operations Operative

Nice job of ripping on him the day he died Marichiko, maybe you should give the eulogy. :-(

Politics is so fucked up and crooked anyway, I guess I feel better when I have a president that has firm convictions, speaks his mind and makes a few things happen damn the poll numbers.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
blue
Operations Operative

I just re-read your post because I didn't want to be over critical to another point of view.

Glad I did, because I was right, your frame of mind, your I'm right attitude sucks. I rip on Sycamore because he can be a dick, but I'm still glad he's here.

You're just kind of a bitch with a keyboard.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
I just re-read your post because I didn't want to be over critical to another point of view.

Glad I did, because I was right, your frame of mind, your I'm right attitude sucks. I rip on Sycamore because he can be a dick, but I'm still glad he's here.

You're just kind of a bitch with a keyboard.
Thank you for the compliment. I suppose some people loved the man. I obviously didn't and actually, I thought he'd died years ago. Sorry if I offended you.
(By the way, why didn't you take Bruce to task for his little "Ronald Rayguns" lyrics above. That didn't seem especially reverant, either. What? Is it okay for a man to make a remark you don't agree with, but a woman who does so automatically becomes a "bitch"?)

Last edited by marichiko; 06-05-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I can't think of anything to say. I just feel a sense of loss that I can't seem to articulate.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm glad for his family that he is gone. it is sad that he is dead, but no more watching a love one who doesn't remember a damn thing for his family.

as far as what his ranking on the list of great presidents - he did just like all the rest. he got some things right and screwed up others.

internationally he was right on with his approach to the soviet union, but jacked on his thinking with crushing the unions in this country.

anyway - RIP and thanks for your years of service.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:35 PM   #12
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

Thank you for the compliment. I suppose some people loved the man. I obviously didn't and actually, I thought he'd died years ago. Sorry if I offended you.
(By the way, why didn't you take Bruce to task for his little "Ronald Rayguns" lyrics above. That didn't seem especially reverant, either. What? Is it okay for a man to make a remark you don't agree with, but a woman who does so automatically becomes a "bitch"?)
Bruce doesn't get a free pass, I just noticed you first. "Some peolple loved the man" applies to perhaps millions of people and I thinks yours and bruces posts were in poor taste.

But as usual I let my emotions get the best of me. I'm probably more irreverant than most some days.

I think your opinion and your attitude suck. I think most of what you post is drivel and you and radar would have a good time if you started a place somewhere to argue with each other.

But, I apologize for calling you a bitch. Your posts are as valid as anyone elses here, and I usually try and stay out of the name calling.

My bad, and it was uncalled for, I'll work harder at muzzling my self next time.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
I rip on Sycamore because he can be a dick, but I'm still glad he's here.
Perspective, baby. Change your perspective, not the facts.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #14
blue
Operations Operative

Shut up shithead, the goodwill doesn't apply to you.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #15
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally posted by blue Shut up shithead.
Packers lose today or something?