The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-20-2003, 03:55 AM   #1
Chris MC
IT'S IN THE TREES! ... IT'S COMING! ...

Location: I moved down to Southampton on the central South Coast in 1967
Southampton UK

The history of Southampton can be traced back to the building of a Roman port known as Clausentum in AD 10. The site is now occupied by Bitterne Manor. It was known that the port was used to export lead, which had originated in the Mendip Hills and that by the end of the third century it had developed into a fort and became part of the Roman's defence arrangements. After the withdraw of the Romans in AD 400, the incoming Saxons created a town called Hamwic in what is now the St. Mary's area of the City. This lasted for around 150 years as an industrial and trade centre and represented the first of the great English mercantile towns.

Following the Norman Conquest in 1066, medieval Southampton was laid out and eventually becoming the largest port on the south coast. It was the home of many prosperous merchants; (one of their houses in French Street is now a museum exhibit). Archaeological evidence shows that the fine pottery and glass was imported at this stage, but the main import was wine. Conversely, the main export commodity was wool. The circumference of the medieval walls was about 1.6 km, of which half is still visible. There were 29 towers, of which 13 remain, along with three of the gateways. King Henry V, together with his knights and his bowmen passed through the West Gate on his way to Agincourt, as did the Pilgrim Fathers at the start of their journey to America.

Everyone has heard of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, but not many people realise the relevance of this to Southampton. Most of the crew came from here and it is reckoned that more than 500 local families lost at least one member as a result of the disaster. Memorials were later erected: the Engineer's Memorial is in East Park, the Musicians' Memorial is in Cumberland Place and there is a general memorial to all the crew in Holyrood Church.

One great boost to the city has been the foundation of the university. This can be traced back to 1862, when a wealthy wine merchant called Henry Robinson Hartley gave money to create the Hartley Institution, which was built in the city centre. After years of growth, it became clear in 1919 that there was no more room for expansion and the Institution moved to Highfield, which was some distance outside the centre. The name was changed at this time to Hartley University College. In 1952, the college became the University of Southampton upon receiving its charter.

Find out more about Southampton here.

Chris_MC
"It doesn't involve going to the theater."
"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater ... some men are the theater."
-- Lady Heather and Gil Grissom (Slaves of Las Vegas)
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:40 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Chris, how did Southampton happen to get the "massive infusion of lottery money" mentioned on the link?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
Chris MC
IT'S IN THE TREES! ... IT'S COMING! ...

Location: I moved down to Southampton on the central South Coast in 1967
Hi there ... erm ... Bruce? Sorry I don't know your name,

I couldn't actually find the bit you were referring to but I think the way it works is, authorities and local groups have to apply individually for lottery funding and are rated on their own merits here are more local news articles regarding lottery funding. You have to pay money to apply for funding which for smaller groups can become a sticking point as it's money they're looking for.

Chris.
"It doesn't involve going to the theater."
"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater ... some men are the theater."
-- Lady Heather and Gil Grissom (Slaves of Las Vegas)

Last edited by Chris MC; 07-21-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote