Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 02-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #3286
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm thinking of all the perfectly good used components still in those cars that would be appreciated by the people who could use them, if only you could connect them to the right people.

One man's treasure is another man's junk.
All is not lost. There's a firm near here which has a thriving business breaking up cars and selling on such components as can be salvaged.
I believe that they only crush cars which have been involved in an accident.

ASM

If the above is construed to be advertising, please delete.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #3287
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm thinking of all the perfectly good used components still in those cars that would be appreciated by the people who could use them, if only you could connect them to the right people.
Many years back I'd be sitting in traffic on the way to work and see several trucks headed for the shredder loaded with cars that looked better than what I was driving.

They were headed for one in Philly at the foot of the Platt bridge, where a steady stream of tractor trailers and flatbeds would bring in cars that had the tops flattened, for shredding. The cars would ride up a conveyer in a steady stream, like a damn amusement park, then at the top drop out of sight. In seconds there would be shredded steel shooting out of one port, plastic out another, non-ferrous metals out another, and finally the fluff from upholstery/foam rubber/tires out it's own port.

These cars are supposed to be drained of fluids with the battery and fuel tank(s) removed, but every once in awhile there would be a big badda boom, where somebody forgot to take a gas tank out.

The biggest eats 450 cars an hour, but that's in Wales so they're little bitty cars

I heard a scrap company was gobbling all the little guys in this area and would consolidate the shredding in either Camden or Eddystone(old Scott foam) so they could load the shredded material directly on ships bound for China.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #3288
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Wendover, Buckinghamshire and one or two sheep.

This was made in January 2013 and shows a flock of sheep being moved from their pasture on the edge of Wendover, down the High Street and back to the farm a few weeks prior to lambing.

Wendover doesn't look at its best during the winter and the dull day didn't help matters. The same could probably be said for the accompanying music. Anyway, enjoy or cringe!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #3289
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is it necessary, or even practical, to move the flock through town, or just a tradition that took on a "we've-always-done-it-this-way", life of it's own.

Edit;
we can handle those sheep, heh heh heh.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 03-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #3290
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Is it necessary, or even practical, to move the flock through town, or just a tradition that took on a "we've-always-done-it-this-way", life of it's own.
In this instance the pasture is only three quarters of a mile from the farm and it was the quickest and easiest way of doing it. It would take several trailer loads to do the job and probably take longer to do it when loading and waiting for the transport to return are taken into account. I think it provided a few minutes public entertainment on a dull January day, but no doubt someone complained.
There's always one...

Thanks for the wolf video, Bruce. I had the good fortune of visiting Yellowstone in 2004 and although I saw a quite staggering variety of wildlife, didn't see any wolves.
I have a vivid recollection of seeing an Osprey just by Buffalo Bill Reservoir as I was returning to Cody from my visit. It wasn't very high and as it turned towards the car I caught the piercing gaze of its eyes. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as they are doing now at just the memory of it. Happy Days.

Osprey location.

By the way, even the sheep drive on the left over here:
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #3291
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure, much easier than trailering. I was just wondering if there was an alternate route for driving/herding rather than down High Street. If so, choosing the high Street route could be the result of (a)tradition, (b) in your face, city slickers, or even (c) I have to pick up the dry cleaning on the way.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #3292
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Sure, much easier than trailering. I was just wondering if there was an alternate route for driving/herding rather than down High Street. If so, choosing the high Street route could be the result of (a)tradition, (b) in your face, city slickers, or even (c) I have to pick up the dry cleaning on the way.
It's the shortest and most practical route to use. The only alternative would build in more potential distractions for the sheep and traffic management would be a real headache.

There’s a right to drive livestock on a public highway with a few exceptions, the most significant being on a motorway. However, farmers will use a large helping of common sense before exercising that right especially in congested areas. Like any of us these days, they are well aware of the possibility of causing an accident or otherwise finding themselves on the receiving end of a lawsuit of some sort or another. Additionally, they’ll weigh up other pitfalls. Consequently sheep will never be moved down the High Street on a Thursday which is when the local produce market takes place. The mind boggles at the thought of the havoc likely to be caused by three hundred marauding sheep. No doubt the fruit and veg stall would be the first to succumb.

Your questions prompted me to research a bit deeper. I was aware of having seen an old postcard of sheep resting on the Manor Waste at the top of the High Street and, by the wonders of Google Images, I managed to find it. It seems that it was a regular resting place for animals en-route to the livestock market in Aylesbury. I suspect that the picture dates from about 1910 but can’t say for sure.

I've uploaded it together with a clip filched from Street View although they've appeared the wrong way round!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #3293
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So it's practicality, rather than tradition or spite. Thank you Sir.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #3294
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Off Maui

Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #3295
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Edit; we can handle those sheep, heh heh heh.
Thanks for posting the wolves-changing-the-river video, Bruce.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #3296
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're quite welcome, sir.
Remember, Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #3297
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Popcorn.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #3298
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Proof that your signature line is true.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #3299
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Whole. E. Schitte.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #3300
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

This data visualisation was created from real flight data taken from a day in July 2013. It highlights the intensity of the operation in Europe - an operation which runs 24x7x365. NATS and the UK are at the heart of the operation. With Heathrow as the busiest international airport in Europe, and Gatwick as the busiest single runway airport in the word, we play a key role in ensuring air traffic under our control in European airspace is as safe and efficient as it can be.

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-10-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Tidy up.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote