The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-31-2005, 10:54 AM   #16
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I feel a Law and Order episode coming on ...
Probably. I remember from my teens (when I watched way too much TV) an episode of something or other that was obviously based on the Kent State incident with the names filed off.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
Telefunken
Going for the DX

I think the whole affair is tragic, ironic, and darkly humorous all at the same time.
Telefunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:41 AM   #18
I want to die soon
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
It makes you wonder what is going through these people's heads... The guy who killed the 11 people just got out of his car and watched the crash take place and did nothing. Hmmm. Well, one way or another he will get what he had came for, at least if they push for the death penalty.
I do not think it would a good idea to kill someone who wanted to die in the first place, because is like giving him what he wanted. Besides what do you learn of your actions after you are dead.
I want to die soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #19
I want to die soon
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Suicidal thoughts tend to be transitory, so by the time that the state is ready to kill him, he won't want them to.

One would think the dude has a built-in insanity defense, though.

Here's a thought ... what if we don't know it yet and someone he wanted dead was on the train and this was all part of a elaborate plot ...

I feel a Law and Order episode coming on ...
Suicidal thoughts are not necessarily transitory; it can be a sickness also, in this case the person is always, always, always, suffering from depression: it comes in two states in one state the person is highly euphoric in the other state is depressed. And the worst of this sickness is that the person may not necessarily know he or she suffer from it, he or she may not even know is depressed.

I agree with all of you in one thing he should not attempt to commit suicide that way, he could have done something else that would not risk the life of others, maybe he did not realized at the moment the consequences of his acts who knows.
I want to die soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
404Error
Lecturer

It's all irrelevant now anyway, according to recent updates on this tragedy.

Quote:
GLENDALE – The man charged with killing 11 people on a commuter train by allegedly parking a truck in its path wasn't trying to commit suicide but wanted to create a "horrific tragedy," according to police....

Alvarez wanted to gain the attention of his wife, Carmelita Alvarez, said Sgt. Tom Lorenz, a police spokesman. The couple had separated and Alvarez's wife had obtained a restraining order against him.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So much for the insanity defense.

Oh, and to clarify something that I want to die soon said ...

It's not just depressed people who become suicidal, they are just best known for/identified with it. A person with any psychiatric diagnosis may be suicidal.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #22
jaguar
whig

nothing rekindles romance like derailing a train and killing innocent strangers.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #23
lookout123
changed his status to single

you got it jag. i was running late on valentine's day so i only got my wife flowers and earrings... if only i'd had time to cause a tragedy, then she'd no i REALLY care.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #24
archergirl
Fresh Incumbent

Theres nothing more romantic than long hours staring deeply into one another's eyes through bullet proof glass and having prison guards hear every word you utter to each other!! ahhhh.... love is bliss!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

And now I am certain that I prefer animals to humans.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

brianna, you obviously need more coffee - before you just said you like them hung like a...
Old 02-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
brianna, you obviously need more coffee - before you just said you like them hung like a...
Yeah, I did just wake up. What was I thinking?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 02-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #28
Schrodinger's Cat
Macavity

I, too, have a friend who is a head engineer for Amtrack with 30 years experience as a railroad engineer. He tells me that he still has nightmares about the people he has killed. He said one man just suddenly stepped out on the tracks in front of the Amtrack train my friend was driving as it came around a curve.

The man just stood there and stared at the on-coming train. Not a damn thing my friend could do. Trains don't exactly stop on a dime and even if my friend had attempted to stop the train, it would have most certainly been derailed, causing the deaths of God knows how many passengers. My friend watched as the train hit the man, severing his body into fragments and a spray of blood. When they arrived at the next stop, the reaction finally set in, and my friend got out of the engine car and started throwing up and crying at the same time. My friend couldn't drive a train for 3 months after that incident.

People who choose this method of suicide are unbelievably stupid and selfish. Why not just drive your car off a cliff?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Why not just overdose on your lethal drug of choice and leave innocent bystanders-and the cliff-out of it? People who commit suicide, no matter which way they go, are indeed unbelievably stupid and selfish. My co-worker had to clean up the blood and brains her son left behind after he shot himself in the head at her house.

—James Barrie

Old 02-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #30
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I saw the Insomniac episode where Dave Attel rode with a guy whose company cleans up homicide/suicide scenes at hotels. Even without a body there it was pretty gruesome.

My theory is that some suicides are the ultimate 'now they will notice me' act of the terminally ignored. These aren't the ones who want to be stopped, they are the ones who intend to, pardon the pun, 'make a splash' as their final gesture.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote