The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #271
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
If someone has gone to jail and been released, they should have 100% of their rights restored.
Ok. I'm just trying to understand your position.

Good answer.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #272
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

There is no such thing as an "assault rifle". All weapons can be used for defense or assault. When the L.A. Riots happened, several Korean store owners patrolled the roof of their business with uzi 9mm, and AK-47s and defend their store when the police wouldn't or couldn't. This weapon allowed them to defend against multiple attackers.

The U.S. government has absolutely zero authority to ban any kind of gun for any reason. The same is true of all state and local governments. 100% of gun control laws are a violation of the Constitution and more importantly of our civil rights.

If the government removed these unconstitutional laws, you can rest assured, there would be plenty of private rocket launcher owners.

Either way, the American people have enough firepower to overcome the U.S. military. The fact of the matter is all of the institutions you mentioned have very few people who would actually fire on Americans for defending their right to keep and bear arms. In fact very few would fire on Americans trying to overthrow the government and take their country back...with the exception of the most scummy elements like the NSA, CIA, etc.

The majority of those in the military, national guard, and local police would not fire on Americans and would fire on those who did.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #273
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
....In fact very few would fire on Americans trying to overthrow the government and take their country back
I don't want to get all tinfoil hat here but what about foreign troops on US soil to round things up?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #274
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'm not wearing the tinfoil hat either. Government oppression was the main reason the founders wanted to defend the right of individuals to own any kind of guns the government has.

I sincerely doubt foreign armies would get involved if the people of America were to revolt, and if they did, they'd probably support the people not the government.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #275
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

I know of at least couple of organizations very eager to support 'the people' if and when the time comes. They come from the Middle East, and neither one of them is the Saudi family.

Let's see, if 22 people with boxcutters can kill three thousand, I think the US military could take on every single American citizen. It would take, oh, about 100,000.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #276
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

You are smoking spearmint flavored crack if you think 100,000 military could beat an armed populace. They've got 140,000 in Iraq right now and can't handle Arabs with homemade bombs.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #277
Ibby
erika

Deadbeater... you've got it back-fucking-assward. It's the other way around; like radar says, a civilian insurgency can take on a military force any day.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #278
jinx
Come on, cat.

Especially a military force pitted against their own families, friends, and country's infrastructure. You might have a few deserters...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #279
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I won't get into the rifles and such because there is no point but when we focus on the heavier assault rifles, where would we get these guns? I am assuming there isn't a big stock in the United States right now because of laws and even if they were overturned, I cannot see 50 million rocket launcher owners. So that means most of the heavier guns used in the revolution will be imported from other countries regardless if they are legal or not.
Not so, there are plenty of fully automatic and heavy "assault" rifles in the US. I've seen them.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #280
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Not so, there are plenty of fully automatic and heavy "assault" rifles in the US. I've seen them.
Pre 1986 they were much easier for citizens to own. Yes, there are still a good number out there in private hands still, though the paperwork now is costly.

An M16 with a pre 86 serial number may cost you $10k. An M60 around $30k, but you'd be very surprised how many are still in private hands.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 AM   #281
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Who needs one with an old serial #? The laws banning them sunsetted. They are legal again. Well, they were legal the whole time, but the unconstitutional law is gone.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #282
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
How much is plenty? I know there are a good amount but enough to stop the need of importing those types of guns? I honestly don't know this so I am just making assumptions on the number.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #283
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'd be willing to bet there are more machine guns in the hands of American civilians than in the hands of the U.S. military.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #284
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Legal manufacture or hacked?

By civilians you mean gang members or collectors and target shooters?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #285
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

By civilians I mean those who are not cops or are not in the military.