The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman
As an aside - A neighbor brought up in conversation that some friends were allowing minors to drink wine with the holiday dinner. Some thought it was just fine and mentioned that the "Italians" do it all the time. Uh, no. I've not heard of this, nor have any of my relatives that I asked about it.
I don't know about Italians specifically, but two German exchange students I knew in high school both mentioned that their parents would let them drink wine with dinner, and their (admittedly biased) assessment of this was that it was a good thing, that European teenagers did not find drinking to be rebellious or a big deal, so they didn't have any motivation to get stupidly drunk like American kids did.

My parents let me have small amounts of alcohol in the house on rare occasions, but it was usually an after-dinner thing, not wine with dinner. My dad firmly believed that if he tried to keep me away from it entirely, that would just guarantee I would go on raging benders in college trying to make up for lost time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't drink as much as I used to. Haven't for quite a while now. It's helped me discover who my real friends are.

I've mentioned in years past about our family christmas celebrations. One year, someone decided it'd be funny to crown the two blokes and chicks who drink the most as king and queen pissheads. I think it was at that point I should have realized I drank too much, but it was a number of years after that. Still, it's better late than never I guess.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #18
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Rollcall.

I know it is only Saturday, and maybe Friday for some of us, but temptation is strong about now. State with deserved pride if you have done well.
Slipping off and getting back on certainly counts as having done well.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I see you here, Zen. I hear you, too! Wishing you the strength you need to get through the festive season.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I haven't had a drop since Nov. 15 - so I get my one month token...for the hundreth time. ah, well, they call it "alcoholic math."
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

Good here. I managed to slip out of a black mood without stumbling.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #22
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I'm on the other side. The side that has lost a spouse do to their alcoholism and drug abuse. After that break up I didn't have a drink until my kid reached the age of 18. It was just an unspoken proof, as a single parent,that family and relationships are more important than a drink. I couldn't claim the reasons for the breakup were this or that without walking the walk myself.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
SamIam

Made a meeting last night so I managed another sober 24 hours - it was a close call, though. Mornings are best part of day for me. I now can't believe that I would indulge in that morning drink. Ick! Brianna, I've got a bunch of 30 day chips, too. Still progress as far as I'm concerned because I was a daily drinker by the end.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #24
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Bloody well done, Sam. Little victories. Each one is worth having.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I stopped drinking after college. I never had a problem with it, but it never really did anything for me. Every year or two I'll have a glass of wine or beer, but I just don't have the taste for it. My drink snobbery now is basically tea.

There was never much alcohol in my family when I was growing up and I hoped to pass that on. Unfortunately, Lee drinks and smokes, two things Mrs. Levy and I have never done the entire time we have been married beyond the occasional glass of wine at Passover. Fortunately, he has shown a great level of responsibility and never had a DUI incident or related accident, something that happened a lot with his friends.

As long as he sticks to mostly beer and wine, and in moderation, I haven't got an issue. The smoking really pisses me off though, especially with the baby. He does go outside with friends to do it, so again he's at least being responsible.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 12-19-2009 at 12:29 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #26
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I see you here, Zen. I hear you, too! Wishing you the strength you need to get through the festive season.
Thanks, Limey, but I'm not actually on the wagon for anything. This thread is just to help those of us who are.

I am, however, a little wary about regular drinking, because a few branches of my family tree got bent down, and probably broken off, by alcohol.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Made 2 years sober and smoke-free last Halloween. I'm looking forward to another year without hangovers and smoker's cough.

Good luck to everyone over Christmas/New Year's.

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Congrats to you - all of you/us.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #29
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

6 years sober. And today is 7 months smoke free.

It's damn hard to be a rebel without any vices, I tell ya.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #30
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
6 years sober. And today is 7 months smoke free.

It's damn hard to be a rebel without any vices, I tell ya.
I go to a summer music camp where we all, naturally, wear jeans, t shirts, shorts etc etc, except one guy who wears a collar and tie. We gently joshed him for being such a conformist, until he pointed out that he was the one being most rebellious by wearing such formal attire when all around were dressed casually ...