The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The Bible Is Bullshit

Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Hey look I can post some random series of videos without any of my own commentary accompanying them too! Just like RK used to! We're following in the footsteps of greatness here d00d!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Did the videos I posted seem random to you? Perhaps they wouldn't if you had actually watched them.

The videos I posted were in line with the topic, funny, clever, insightful, witty, and true.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think the 'commentary' exists in the title. I enjoyed the videos.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Yes they seemed random to me and I actually did watch them, I enjoy Penn & Teller and George Carlin. Thread creation in a discussion forum 101: you should do so by presenting a topic, spelling out the facts, and then give your own opinion preferable outlining your own arguments as justification, not just regurgitating someone else's thoughts with nothing to add of your own. IMO anyway, threads like this are exactly the reason rk is no longer with us, pointless threads where all he did was act as a mouthpiece to other people's thoughts that he agreed with adding little to no original thought to it, then acted as if he was actually contributing something useful with his posts.

As for the topic apparently at hand, you would be on the floor laughing if you heard some of the stuff people say at my conservative, evangelical university. I laugh and shake my head at it all sometimes. One guy tried to explain to me that the whole universe was made of water and some of it compressed and formed solid matter but not all, so when the Biblical Flood happened, that was excess water from the universe falling onto the earth.. the whole approach of creation science kills me. They start with a conclusion and then seek a hypothesis and "experimentation" to support the conclusion, which is not exactly how the scientific method works last I checked. Arguing that carbon dating is useless, etc. It's also humorous to hear some of their "facts" supporting the idea of Biblical inerrancy instead of infallibility. Thankfully it's mainly the students that go down that path, the professors and doctors in my history department are much more reasonable people, one is even staunch evolutionist which is not what you typically see when one thinks of an evangelical Christian.

Last edited by Bullitt; 12-20-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
One guy tried to explain to me that the whole universe was made of water and some of it compressed and formed solid matter but not all, so when the Biblical Flood happened, that was excess water from the universe falling onto the earth..
This sounds like a poorly explained version of the Canopy Theory.

Quote:
the whole approach of creation science kills me. They start with a conclusion and then seek a hypothesis and "experimentation" to support the conclusion, which is not exactly how the scientific method works last I checked.
Well, Creationists (of which I am one) ask the same question that the Evolutionists do, which is: how did all this get here?

The Evolutionists say that a point of nothingness exploded and out of this explosion came all matter and energy in the whole universe which eventually coagulated and became solar systems and planets. One of these somehow formed just the right mix of amino acids and protiens and through some literally unestimable random chance, life just happened, and then more stuff happened, and the life got more complex and then more complex until finally, there were people. Time is the hero of the story.

But they can't prove it.

The Creationists say that a being beyond our true comprehension created time, the universe and everything in it as part of a Grand Design, creating the solar system and planets and earth and water and plants and animals and people all as distinct types. God is the hero of the story.

But we can't prove that either.

Oh, both sides will come up with "evidence" to support their theories, but the result is this: We can't duplicate it. We can't observe what happened at the beginning. We can only take what we see now and the processes we see occuring now and try to extrapolate that back (which isn't accurate either, because things NEVER stay the same).

So the CvE question will remain a debate that depends on your other worldviews.

However, I will say this: If a person professes to be a Christian, then they CANNOT believe that Evolution is true, because it is 180 degrees of the Bible. As with many other things, there are times when you have to pick one side or the other. This is one issue that you can't believe in both.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar View Post
This sounds like a poorly explained version of the Canopy Theory.

Well, Creationists (of which I am one) ask the same question that the Evolutionists do, which is: how did all this get here?

The Evolutionists say that a point of nothingness exploded and out of this explosion came all matter and energy in the whole universe which eventually coagulated and became solar systems and planets.

Some evolutionists clearly take that stance, but that's not evolutionary theory.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Some evolutionists clearly take that stance, but that's not evolutionary theory.
No, the amino acids and lots of time part is.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
glatt

Quote:
We can only take what we see now and the processes we see occuring now and try to extrapolate that back (which isn't accurate either, because things NEVER stay the same).
I know what you are trying to say, and agree to a point, but with the Hubble telescope and with better and better telescopes, we can see farther and farther into the distance. Since light takes time to travel, the farther into the distance we can see, the farther into the past we are looking.

Quote:
However, I will say this: If a person professes to be a Christian, then they CANNOT believe that Evolution is true, because it is 180 degrees of the Bible. As with many other things, there are times when you have to pick one side or the other. This is one issue that you can't believe in both.
According to your definition of the word "Christian." According to their definition, they might be just fine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I know what you are trying to say, and agree to a point, but with the Hubble telescope and with better and better telescopes, we can see farther and farther into the distance. Since light takes time to travel, the farther into the distance we can see, the farther into the past we are looking.
The speed of light is not constant. A Light year is a measure of distance based on a constant, not time.

Quote:
According to your definition of the word "Christian." According to their definition, they might be just fine.
Well, I can agree with that. I would say for purposes of this discussion, that my definition of Christian is one that believes that the Bible is true and is the word of God, and that Jesus is the ultimate blood sacrifice for every person's sin. (Whereas a Jewish person doesn't necessarily follow the last part, they generally agree on the first part.)

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
life just happened, and then more stuff happened, and the life got more complex and then more complex until finally, there were people. Time is the hero of the story.

But they can't prove it
Evolution is a very well documented theory (scientific theory, not everyday use of theory) and has much evidence to back it up with. It isn't just a shot in the dark, there are reasons for theory.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament is God's covenant with the Jews. The failure of that covenant led to the New Testament, God's covenant with Christians, which is ongoing. It's quite easy, and I think reasonable, to be a Christian and disregard the Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've wondered about that. The farther we can see, the more we see of the first ejecta from the "Big Bang", but when we do it'll be billions of years old. Do they think it will be unchanged it that interim? Hey, it could have grown a beard by now.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Evolution is a very well documented theory (scientific theory, not everyday use of theory) and has much evidence to back it up with. It isn't just a shot in the dark, there are reasons for theory.
I disagree, and there are alot of reasons (scientific ones), but I don't have the time or energy to go into it (again).

The bottom line is, there is nothing that proves it per the scientific method, and therefore it can't be proven. Just like Creationism.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
One guy tried to explain to me that the whole universe was made of water and some of it compressed and formed solid matter but not all, so when the Biblical Flood happened, that was excess water from the universe falling onto the earth

Thats 'dark ages' thinking!!!

Makes me want to cry.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I just like the thread title. I think that's enough all on it's own.

Just say it. Some people think it and some people don't. Let's get on with our lives.