The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #5971
it
Banned

I always related more to Coyote, though seems I am in the road runner role this time in life. I gave her the debriefing in the format of a radio news show, which made her look at me funny long enough for me to escape. I think it passed well.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #5972
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Black people kill white female under age 30 = worst tragedy in the world
I didn't know until this morning that the shooter in our latest incident was black, and I didn't know the female victim was under 30. So perfect, now let us see whether the blame changes from guns.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #5973
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I didn't know until this morning that the shooter in our latest incident was black, and I didn't know the female victim was under 30. So perfect, now let us see whether the blame changes from guns.
Even the earliest newscasts identified the shooter as a previous co-worker.
And although the man is Black, I don't think I heard any tv remarks about his skin color.

These killings were along the lines of a disgruntled employee going "postal",
and the uniqueness of the event happening "on camera".

Sorry, this incident doesn't fit your mindset at all.

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #5974
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

News doesn't mention race unless/until they find it tickles the story.

The initial reaction was to blame guns, as noted by Sycamore in post 5961.

If I'm right, blaming guns will fall off sharply now; shooter is black AND gay, so the game of "let's own the narrative" is lost.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #5975
Lamplighter

We moved last week and intended to store some things in the attic over the garage.
Well, surprise, surprise, this attic is essentially full of cardboard boxes
nested inside of cardboard boxes, inside of ...
Some of the computer boxes go back to 1997

Our illustrious trash/recycling company wants all cardboard
neatly flattened and tied in bundles at the curb.
Our illustrious trash/recycling company will not recycle styrofoam,
but insists it be in our "trash cart".
In small amounts, this may be OK, but emptying out this attic just won't happen that way.

Here is about a third of the styrofoam from today's boxes:
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #5976
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Gasoline, mineral spirits, and many other liquids will make that pile virtually disappear. What remains will fit easily in your trash.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #5977
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I am participating in an auction for some equipment that will ultimately go to my kids' school. I accidentally bid on the wrong thing. It's not the completely wrong thing, but there is a different lot of what appears to be roughly the same item, but which is far superior for our particular needs.

I keep refreshing the page, hoping to be outbid...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #5978
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Gasoline, mineral spirits, and many other liquids will make that pile virtually disappear. What remains will fit easily in your trash.
Kaaabooom - all gone !
Old 08-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #5979
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Kaaabooom? If you want, but you can let it sit until the volatiles evaporate off. Oh wait, you're moving. OK, Kaaabooom it is then.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #5980
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I am participating in an auction for some equipment that will ultimately go to my kids' school. I accidentally bid on the wrong thing. It's not the completely wrong thing, but there is a different lot of what appears to be roughly the same item, but which is far superior for our particular needs.

I keep refreshing the page, hoping to be outbid...
Yeah, that's why I stopped going on ebay after a few glasses of Malbec.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #5981
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Turns out I got lucky--was outbid on the wrong item, then won the item I really wanted.

Now I just have to assemble the fuckers.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #5982
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Congrats.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #5983
glatt

Fucking Bezos.

Amazon is pushing so hard to get me to buy into their Prime racket. They want me to pay the membership fee and shop more exclusively with them, and in return, they offer deals on shipping and stuff.

But the pushing is being done with a carrot and a stick. The carrot I don't mind so much. I can just turn it down. But the stick is annoying me.

I bought a replacement handle for a sink on Saturday from Amazon. It was eligible for free shipping. So they sent me a confirmation email right away that I indeed bought this thing (and they may have charged my card) and now it's Tuesday, and it's like crickets chirping. They have the item in their warehouse, and they can easily pick it up and ship it, but they are just burning time. I'm not a Prime member, so they are deliberately making me wait. When they get around to shipping it in a day or two, they will ship it with their standard two-day delivery. It costs them the exact same amount of money to process and ship my order promptly or wait a few days. But since I'm not a Prime member, they are just parking my order for a few days.

Free market and all that. I could take my business elsewhere. What they are doing is fair. But I also have the right to say Fuck You, Bezos.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #5984
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Amazon ships about 3,300,000 boxes per day. Your order will be shipped in the order in which it's received(depending on how it fits efficiently into the pick/ship system), however Amazon has made a contract/commitment to the Prime members which must be honored first.

In other words, back of the bus, boy.

I don't do a lot of shopping, but much of what I do buy comes from/through Amazon. Even so, I've avoided Prime because it annoys me about as much as Disney World's system of if you pay more you can skip to the head of the line. Capitalism was never meant to be fair. sigh
Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #5985
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Your order will be shipped in the order in which it's received(depending on how it fits efficiently into the pick/ship system), however Amazon has made a contract/commitment to the Prime members which must be honored first.
This doesn't really make sense.

Using the Disney example, I got in line with my order. And others got in line behind me with theirs. And you're saying we proceed in order, but that Prime gets to go first. Which means we don't go in order.

What I'm saying is that there is one line. Prime members get their items and get in line. And non members get shuffled off to the side into a waiting room for a coupe days and then are released to go get in line.

Also, while I'm bitching about Amazon, "subscribe and save" sucks now. I don't know if they have removed items from subscribe and save for non Prime members or if they are doing it across the board for everyone. There used to be a real convenience having stuff shipped on a regular basis so we didn't have to keep track of it and never ran out. But they keep dropping various items, so we have to go to the store anyway to get stuff. It's gotten to the point where we are cancelling the few remaining items they carry because it's saving us no time. That doesn't make sense to me. I thought Amazon was trying to get us to go to them for all our shopping need.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar