The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Organic Gardening

Ya'll all know I've downsized & I'm pretty much off the grid. I've leased 347 acres of mixed pines and hard woods. I have several open fields. To make some extra money, I'm thinking about organic gardening. The soil is red clay and pretty acidic (pine needles). If I me the fields, will that remove the "organic" status??

I'll be using hand tools. Any ideas? I'm thinking about growing heirloom vegetables. I don't like hybrids/
Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Why organic Sarge?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Sarge,

My advice to you is to hook up with your local cooperative extension and take the master gardener course. IT will really help separate fact from fantasy in the world of gardening. 99% of what you read in gardening books, especially "organic" ones, is complete BS. Most gardening books are written by people who collect information from other gardening books that were written by people who collected information from other gardening books that were written by people who collected information from other gardening books that were written by people who collected information from other gardening books that were written by people who spent way too much time in the sun.

I garden organically essentially, but the term is meaningless now. The USDA got involved in creating a legal definition for the term "Organic" at the behest of lobbying groups for Big Agribiz. In doing so, they allow all sorts of things that would not be considered kosher and denied many things that were effective and relatively harmless.

Heirlooms and OP (open pollinated) have their place as do Hybrids. If you are into seed saving then you want OP or heirloom. The most important thing is to find out from old timers what grows well in your area. Don't get sucked into the seed catalog hype.

Again, I strongly suggest getting in touch with your extension ervice and at least chatting with them.

As for soil pH, have the pH checked, learn how to do that from coop extension (they usually do a pH test for free--avoid the crappy kits and whiz-bang gizmos)
Lime or wood ash will make an acid soil more alkaline, it won't change your organic status in anyone's eyes, but you may not want an alkaline soil unless you are trying to grow a lawn. Most plants like slightly acid soils. Read up on what your plants like and again talk to old timers and cooperative extension.

and have fun.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Big Sarge

good advice. i'll hit up the local co-op and see if they will do my soil testing. I've grown heirlooms before from Baker Seed Co. They have always seen like a good bunch. What do you think?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

County extension office
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Clay + pine needles = shitty soil. Pity they wouldn't let you live near the old sewage lagoon.

As already said: find someone in your area with similar conditions, ask them for advice. What worked great 100 ks away might be useless for you.

You might think about putting in a few raised garden beds and getting them filled with good soil. This avoids struggling with poor soil, reduces bending/ back problems, makes fencing Vs critturs easier. Aliantha's garden has some examples. There would be set up costs, though.

Or did you mean "organic" ? you allowed to do that, man?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

http://tomclothier.hort.net/
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Heck of an archive!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Heck of an archive!
He has a great section on soil and pH, he examines the chicken and egg theory of pine needled acidifying the soil. (Not)

Pines require acid soil to germinate, they wouldn't have grown in the first place if the soil weren't acid. He points out that decaying organic matter moves toward neutrality.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Big Sarge

Really great info on that site