The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

10/20/2004: Extreme piercing in Thailand

Welcome to Phuket! These gents are ritual vegetarians. See? See what vegetarianism eventually does to you??

Actually the captions don't explain the ceremony much, except to suggest that they are concerned with the moving of evil spirits. These guys believe they are possessed. I find it hard to disagree.

Why do the evil spirits get all the press? Why doesn't anyone think of the good spirits?

It's really the feather lining that makes this outfit.

Thanx to madmonkey for the last image. Pfft, I spent like 50 dollars for an appropriate piece of wood to stow my good knives in.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

First of all, I wouldn't want to live in Phuket. It's as if no one cares about anything!

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I truly and sincerely hope each one of these guys is current on their tetanus shots.

Whew! That last one just makes my stomach flip-flop!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Stupid just seems to ignore any sort of barrier.

Maybe they could have a cable show called "Extreme Religion" and put it on ESPN with the rest of the extreme stupidy going on there.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

It shows that different cultures, have different customs. Thank goodness, what would the world be like if all cultures were the same. I think it would most likely be totally insincere and the world would suffer for that. Look at what happens when one society pushes its political ideas on another.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Yeah, but there's still the tetanus issue...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-20-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
garnet

It looks to me like these dudes have a teensy bit too much time on their hands. And there's not only the tetanus issue, don't forget the unattractive facial deformities that will no doubt result from these practices. Yuck.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

You can talk about cultural diversity all you want, but when I look at something like this I think about a scene in Se7en.

Quote:
When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Maybe you're just sitting around, reading "Guns and Ammo", masturbating in your own feces, do you just stop and go, "Wow! It is amazing how fucking crazy I really am!"? Yeah. Do you guys do that?
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Insane people do not think they are insane. They think YOU (the sane one, we all suppose) are insane and they will tell you, in minute detail, how insane you are...

...It's always really enlightening to hear this.

—James Barrie

Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #10
MAdMoNKEY
Smooth Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
First of all, I wouldn't want to live in Phuket. It's as if no one cares about anything!
That's hilarious dude.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
It shows that different cultures, have different customs. Thank goodness, what would the world be like if all cultures were the same. I think it would most likely be totally insincere and the world would suffer for that. Look at what happens when one society pushes its political ideas on another.
That's because you don't understand social engineering.

In that culture, people believe that that is acceptable because they were told it was acceptable.

In time, a world that was more completely on the same page, as long as it was a good page, would be able to achieve so much more because they wouldn't be so busy fighting each other and spending so much of their life just trying to be different instead of trying to be better.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #12
chrisinhouston
Professor

Neat, that's a Bianchi bike in the famous Celeste green that they have used for so many years!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:47 PM   #13
Doodle
Cheese is strange.

I just lost my cookies!

Little Miss Doodle
Doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #14
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Bah- ba -ba- bo, ching ching!!
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
Roosta
Nutter.

Things would turn really ugly if that fella with the bike through his cheek tripped on something. I also wonder if they have their dinner before the rituals start? Can you picture how many bits of rice and lentils there would be all over the place?
The real fun starts with the post-ritual balloon blowing-up competition....