The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

3/4/2004: Ashoura 2004

Thanks to Slarti for pointing this out. Once again it's the Shiite festival/blood ritual Ashoura, a festival which IotD has noted twice before. The news images carry these shots each year but is it helpful to note that only a small segment of Shiites go around cutting themselves or their kids? And that the head bleeds profusely in any situation, and not too painfully? And that they hit the wound with their blades to keep it bleeding?

This is the day which was reported this time around to be utterly violent in another way - marked by attacks on the Shiites, thought to be terrorism meant to try to evoke civil war.

With hundreds dead and hundreds more injured, suddenly the blood ritual is not so bad.

I guess.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I find myself appalled that they cut their children and make them bleed. Then I realize that I have to step out of what Western Culture considers "right and wrong" and realize that this is no more wrong to them as circumcision is to westerners.

Still, I'm not entirely comfortable with the images of bloody children. Especially in the first picture, the child is sucking on a bloodied finger. The father's face isn't bloody, and I would have thought his face would be bloody too, to "celebrate" or whatever.

I also want to mention I switched from lurking to posting about a year ago this month.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

These people are friggin SICK.
This is what they deserve
No wonder why there are so many F#@Ked up people in this world.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
glatt

Yeah! They are strange. We should kill them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

This practice is just too disturbing. The adult must see some percieved benefit to the child in his actions, and that just makes the whole thing worse.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Question

The FUCK?!?!?! Dear God, I thought for sure that was fake blood...until I read the post. Jesus....*shakes head*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
glatt

I would never do that to either of my young children. The images are distubing. I think it's crazy.

But if you look at them with a clinical detached eye, you see that the kids are fine. They aren't crying. They aren't distressed. They just go with the flow. When my kids hurt themselves, they cry like crazy. Kids cry when they are in pain. These kids are fine. It's just blood, and the scabs will heal in a week.

The red blood just makes people freak out.

It's another cuture. Try to keep an open mind.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

glatt, you can have an open mind on this culture, but I can tell you that most of us still think it's F#@king sick. I'll never have an open mind to this kind of stuff. It's primitive.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #9
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
glatt, you can have an open mind on this culture, but I can tell you that most of us still think it's F#@king sick. I'll never have an open mind to this kind of stuff. It's primitive.
You tell em Leah!
Pearcie (AUS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
Zenchou
Non-Newbie Sort

Ah yes, because where in our systems of belief do we espouse tolerance?

Certainly we don't do anything strange or even risky in our utopic, modern America. At the very least, we would never seek to glorify any of those risky topics, nono...

You're right, we should fear and look down upon anything "primitive" because anything which is not modern can't be worthwhile, or even tolerated.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:32 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Zenchou
Ah yes, because where in our systems of belief do we espouse tolerance?

Certainly we don't do anything strange or even risky in our utopic, modern America. At the very least, we would never seek to glorify any of those risky topics, nono...

You're right, we should fear and look down upon anything "primitive" because anything which is not modern can't be worthwhile, or even tolerated.
I'm sensing a little sarcasm here. I'm not sure though.

Hence my opinion of the reliance on religion in the first place. It's silly and a waste of time, money and paper.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:36 PM   #12
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

Zen, I don't think it's an issue of what's modern and what's primitive, I think it's more an issue of these ppl pulling out big ass knives and smacking their babies in the head with them in order to make them bleed all over the place. Whether it's modern or primitive in my opinion it is an awful thing to do to anyone, specially your own child. I could never bring myself to hit a small child with a knife regardless of how harmless it may really be, it just goes against everything I believe,feel,think, am.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
I would never do that to either of my young children. The images are distubing. I think it's crazy.

But if you look at them with a clinical detached eye, you see that the kids are fine. They aren't crying. They aren't distressed. They just go with the flow. When my kids hurt themselves, they cry like crazy. Kids cry when they are in pain. These kids are fine. It's just blood, and the scabs will heal in a week.

The red blood just makes people freak out.

It's another cuture. Try to keep an open mind.
I got "you're kids are fine" right here.

Now I ask you, what is fine about this?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #14
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

Is it just me, or can no one see Troubleshooter's pics???
Old 03-04-2004, 04:52 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearcie (AUS)
Is it just me, or can no one see Troubleshooter's pics???
I saw them at first, but then they disappeared. Weird.