The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
arz
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Sistine Chapel Ceiling

A story in "Image of the Day" regarding the cleaning of Michaelangelo's "David" included a link to a commentary about the cleaning.

The author comments that:
Quote:
A restored Sistine Chapel may be closer to Michelangelo, but it’s further from us. Michelangelo made David, but we decide what it means.
He's wrong, of course. A cleaned ceiling reveals the work as it is meant to be seen and thus brings us closer to both the artist and his work and therefore its meaning.

Here is a photo of the Sistine Chapel ceiling, taken by me on October 22, 2003.
Attached Images

arz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Beautiful. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

All that nakedness that can't be seen by someone wearing a short skirt.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Further cleaning has revealed the origin of the world's oldest gag.

- Bad MS Paint picture, long way to go for bad gag. i.e. removed at request of Arz -

Last edited by Uryoces; 10-28-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
arz

Thumbs down Hey Uryoces

Please don't fuck with my photos.

It was extremely uncool when NTN did it to another one of mine, but I kept my mouth shut that time. Not this time; I request that you remove your post.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Arz, I removed the picture that I modified, (it was a "Pull my finger" gag with God reaching out ot Adam), it was a long way to go for a bad gag, and not well done, so I have no issue with removing it.

However, You did post a photo in an open forum for public consumption, with no indication of copyright, other than to say "Here is a picture I took." If you are that serious about your art, this may not be the place to post such things. This is especially true knowing half the loonies running around here.

No harm intended.

[edit] I'm also not going to say anything about your choice of language, considering the relaxed atmosphere.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
arz

Thanks, Uryoces. And sorry about the f word, but I was very annoyed.

In the US, copyright is now implied; I don't have to directly state it to claim it.

And, given the "community spirit" (aka "relaxed atmosphere") of The Cellar, I shouldn't have to expect that others will take a (admittedly a low-resolution JPEG) copy of one of my images, "mess" with it and then post the messed-with version as a joke.

And yet it has happened twice now, which I think really sucks for a lot of reasons, some of which have to do with my inflated opinion of my own artistic abilities relative to a lot of what gets posted here as a "quality" image.

Yes, this is a hot-button issue for me.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

Arz, I would suggest to you that part of the "Community Spirit" or "Relaxed Atmosphere" of the Cellar is that people here feel comfortable enough with each other to joke around now and then. You "kept your mouth shut" the first time, and its not really fair to fly off the handle when its done the second time. You created the precedent.

Regardless. If you don't want humour inserted into the thread at your expense of your pictures, your best bet is to not post them at all. It would be a shame, but its the only way to ensure it never happens. People rib each other from time to time. Especially in a relaxed environment where we all know each other. I imagine people will avoid editing your pictures in future because of this post, but they probably won't forget why.

In other words, forget about it. We're all friends here (most of us, anyways. I fucking hate that Dave guy ).
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
In other words, forget about it. We're all friends here (most of us, anyways. I fucking hate that Dave guy ).
I found the melted-case copy of Rallisport Challenge too. That's 2 Xbox games I'm offering you, both of which got 9+ ratings on IGN. PM me your address, fool.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:42 PM   #10
dave

And arz, being that you seem familiar with copyright law, you're aware of the parody exception, I'm sure. Meaning that you can ask nicely to have the modified image removed, but you have no legal basis to do so.

I just wanted to point that out for those that weren't aware.

(I didn't see it, but I've seen the "pull my finger" gag about a million times, so whatever. I guess maybe some of my photos I wouldn't want being messed with, but I wouldn't post them if that were the case. I think you post good images, so I encourage you to keep posting; I don't have the time or the interest to muck with them, but obviously others do. I'd suggest you just lighten up, dude. No one thinks your stuff sucks - they just see an opportunity to be funny with it at times. I look at it as adding value to your photo, albeit in a different way. So whereas your picture of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is awesome and inspiring in an art sense, it can also be funny as well. See, to me, that's a bonus.)
Old 10-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #11
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
... I look at it as adding value to your photo, albeit in a different way ...
Uh, no. My added value was a hack job. :p
Old 10-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #12
arz

perth,
Quote:
If you don't want humour inserted into the thread at your expense of your pictures, your best bet is to not post them at all.
You're absolutely correct on that. I will keep that in the frontmost of my mind the next time I ponder posting an image.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #13
perth
Strong Silent Type

So is that "I'm mad so I'm taking my ball and going home" or is that a realisation that no one means any harm by it? I don't want it to be misinterpreted.

Seriously, we all get ribbed from time to time. It would be a shame for you to stop posting your photos because of this, they are very interesting and I am sure I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing them.

If you don't want people to edit them, thats fine. You said as much. And now everyone knows. But you have also created the perception that you can't take a joke.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #14
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Welcome arz, you must be new here on the Internet. In case you didn't notice the sign next to the door on the way in, one of the warnings reads:

"Whatsoever you place on the Internet may become subject to scrutiny, criticism, and/or parody. Contribute at your own emotional risk."

Luckily, we're all friends here and any such scrutiny, criticism, and/or parody are done in a friendly manner. Nice photo, by the way. Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:29 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you've been reading The Cellar for a while, you may have noticed it's pretty much a given that if an interesting (or uninteresting) photo is posted here, even if NOT in the photoshop phrenzy phorum (sorry), it's gonna get played with.

And usually in a rather creative, clever way.

(hey, I thought the "pull my finger" gag was funny, but then I am easily amused.)

It's one of those things that passes as an honor around here, yah know?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote