The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #16
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Sweet! These are called 'sprint' triathlons. I did the sprint version of the Pigman Tri, um, 5 years ago. (geeze, has it been that long ago?!) 500 meter swim, 15mile bike, 3.2m run. For me, the swimming was was took the most out of me, and was by far the hardest. I swear I was high when I finished, I felt so GOOD. I only had a mountain bike at the time, so I borrowed my husband's uncle's road bike, that was too big for me and used that. What was sore on me the few days after the tri was my neck/upperback, from that stupid bike

What's your training plan?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM   #17
LabRat

SO melidisaur??? Did you do it? How'd it go??

Sunday I did my 10 miler, the 'long' run in my 1/2 marathon training plan, and it went well! I finished it in 1hr 43 min, and was able to walk relatively normally yesterday, and today I only feel my quads when going down stairs. I am really looking forward to this run. Donno if my friend is going to do it, she says she is, but every time I have invited her to run the long runs with me, something comes up...oh well. There is usually someone there taking pictures, so I'll have to post one if I am in any.

If any newbies run, post away!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 PM   #18
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Well, unfortunately, it didn't. Somehow - I injured my ankle, so that made the running difficult and then I didn't have a bike yet, so I just put it on hold for next year. Running still frightens me - I really don't like it... so i'm looking into some team events - I'll find someone who loves to run and loves to swim and I'll take care of the biking.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:58 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If it's the biking you want, why not train for the Liberty Classic?

57.6 miles, 4 times up the Manayunk Wall. It would give you a great excuse to hang out with some Dwellars after the race. If you live.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM   #20
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
If it's the biking you want, why not train for the Liberty Classic?

57.6 miles, 4 times up the Manayunk Wall. It would give you a great excuse to hang out with some Dwellars after the race. If you live.
That definitely would give me a goal to work for... but it sounds quite scary. But, I'm up for hanging out anytime .
Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #21
LabRat

<--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
...so i'm looking into some team events - I'll find someone who loves to run ....
Old 09-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #22
LabRat

Well, I did it, and it was AWESOME!! I had a really great race, felt good pretty much the whole time despite it being unusually warm and humid. My quads are the only thing sore on me today, but that's my own fault cuz I didn't walk long enough after finishing...there was food to be eaten Here's the portion of results that included me:

FEMALE AGE GROUP: 25 - 29

Place Name Ag City St Finish Pace
===== ============================== == ================== == ======= =====
1 Donna Weeda 26 Cedar Falls IA 1:52:54 8:38
2 Katie Helgeson 26 Roland IA 1:54:55 8:47
3 Tess Taintor 29 Story City IA 1:54:56 8:47
4 Rachel Britten 28 Story City IA 1:54:56 8:47
5 Ryann Winings 25 Ft. Atkinson IA 1:57:38 8:59
6 Sherrie Mauren 29 Marion IA 1:58:42 9:04
7 Julie Eddy 27 Parkersburg IA 1:59:29 9:08
8 Carrie Dieken 29 Cedar Falls IA 2:03:25 9:26
9 Jessica Wass 25 Denver IA 2:07:40 9:45
10 Libby O'neil 25 Cedar Falls IA 2:08:56 9:51
11 Brenda Rix 28 Decorah IA 2:09:18 9:53
12 Leah Fuller 29 Marion IA 2:09:26 9:53
13 Jaime Flanscha 25 Cedar Falls IA 2:10:23 9:58
14 Brytnie Kerr 25 Waterloo IA 2:11:14 10:02
15 Kelli Mehmert 28 Cresco IA 2:34:29 11:48

My goal time was 2h 10min, so I am totally happy with 12th place in my age group. Go me!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Given that I can't do anything for 2 hr 10 min that doesn't involve a remote control and a very comfortable chair, I am extremely impressed by your accomplishment. Go you, indeed!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Congratulations! I can't run for more than about 30 feet without hyperventilating (something about the way I breathe when I run, because I can do other aerobic-y things for hours) so I have great respect for your accomplishment.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #25
LabRat

Thanks guys. 7 years ago, when I decided to try my first 5K (3.2m) I barely could make it around the block. Literally. My first run was around the block, and at the end I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest, my head was pounding, and I almost threw up. It took me 7 minutes. I couldn't beleive I had gotten THAT out of shape, and I was only 21 or 22. After finishing my first race, I was addicted. I am pretty sure it was the free food at the end tho, and not the running itself .

I counted all my race tshirts, and this last one was my 15th. !!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #26
LabRat

Here are some pictures I stole from Myraceday.com:

Waiting at the start line, about 3 min before the gun. I am the short stubby chick with her arms crossed on the right. Don't exactly LOOK like a rummer, do I My friend that I did this with is in the red shirt next to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 09-19-2005 at 10:04 AM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #27
LabRat

Here I am crossing the finish line. You can see my chafe proof tights under my shorts here. Gotta love the chafe proof tights. Especially as humid as it was that morning. I look like a runner here

The guy directly behind me was running with a backpack on full of weight. I'm guessing 25lbs at least, by the way it was bouncing on him. I only passed him just before the finish. I may be crazy, but Idon't run carrying all my lost marbles...
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #28
Griff
still says videotape

Hooorayyy!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #29
LabRat

Any newbies runners?

I've seen a lot of new members posting lately, so I thought I'd bring this thread to the top of the pile once again and fish for anyone who likes to run. My training for the 'season' has started again, and unfortunately due to work schedule, my running partner (that I trained with for the half last year) and I won't be able to do our afternoon runs together. I'm more bummed than I thought I'd be, and frankly it's hard to get motivated this time. Plus, the hubby and I have been kicking around the idea of trying for #2 this spring, so I'm likely not going to be running any 'big' event this fall.

[Ben\] Anyone? Anyone? [/Stein]

Last edited by LabRat; 02-23-2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: damn typos, and I've got all MY fingers...
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #30
stephwho
Person Who Has Posted

You mentioned a min-triathalon in August--do you have any details on this? Who is sponsoring the event? Where to get more info? Many thanks!!
stephwho is offline   Reply With Quote