The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

detecting transmissions over one's internet connection...

How can one tell what's travelling back and forth over one's internet connection?

Couple of specific examples:

A virus is using my computer to assist in a DDoS attack:

I am receiving streaming audio/video. How can I tell what port the stream is coming in on. My workplace has blocked most streaming media but I am still able to get some from various radio stations but not others. I suspect they are using port blocking of the streaming port (1775???). How can I tell for sure?

A web bug is reporting back to its owner what I'm up to.

Etc.

How can I tell at any given point, what traffic is flowing over my connection (who from, who to, what port, and the amount of data being transmitted - e.g., a trickle or a raging river).

Is there a tool that I can use to help me figure this stuff out??
Old 03-31-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My home router has a log function that will tell me what port and destination is involved in any data going out or coming in...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Do a google search on win32 sniffer. You'll find stuff. Vague memories tell me that they're a lot of work to set up and interpret.

Might be easier to:

1) Use one of the many available tools to rid yourself of the virus.

2) Look in the app's settings and documentation to see what port they use. Or you can use a software firewall like ZoneAlarm. There's a free version that might do the trick.

3) ZoneAlarm might also give you some of this.

To see the volume of traffic, that's built in to Windows. Right click on My Network Places and choose Properties. Right click on the net connection you are interested in and choose Properties. You should see a checkbox for "Show icon in taskbar when connected". Check this and click ok. You should now see an icon in the taskbar that has two monitors - one behind the other. One screen shows blue when data is being sent the other when data is being received. If they are both constant blue, you have a flood going on.

If you don't have a router protecting your home systems, I recommend getting one, pronto. Also read the stuff over at GRC. The stuff in there and the hardware firewall in the router will keep most of these issues at bay.

You should also update regularly from the microsoft update page. A lot of attacks come as the result of Microsoft publishing a patch. Hackers take a look at the patch, see what it fixes and then write hacks/viruses to abuse systems that don't have the patch yet.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
jaguar
whig

There are some distinctly separate issues here: incoming, outgoing, application-level and packet-level. Each requires do varying degrees different solutions.

For seeing what your computer is spewing out I recommend Zone-alarm. In terms of protection a cheap firewall/router will do the job but a cheap ancient PC (486 will do it) with 2 ethernet cards running Smoothwall, IPcop or something similar will provide a far higher level of protection and easy configuration. Smoothwall et al also provide detailed logging if desired and you can add in a proxy like squid for detailed web traffic info as well.

Nothing will provide an all-in-one instant security and monitoring solution but an IPcop box will give you much of what you need and includes some smarter anti-cracker stuff like Snort.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Even the command
netstat -a
will report useful information. Also task manager can be used to find those 'illegal' processes that would be collecting information. These require you to learn what is and is not valid.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

ETHEREAL - excellent packet sniffer runs on win32 also
You can actually see the raw packets...

google it...
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
mbpark
Lecturer

nmap, fport, and Kerio Personal Firewall

These three tools are your friends.

Nmap runs on Win32, and can tell you what ports you have open.

Fport, another free tools, tells you open ports, and what apps have them open.

Kerio Personal Firewall is a Deny By Default firewall which takes MD5 signatures of the files used to make outgoing connections, and uses that to determine whether to allow changed versions to run or not.

Fport is the best of the 3 for seeing what you have running and opening ports on you.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote