FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

You have GOT to be kidding me.

PETA asks Ben & Jerry's to use breast milk

22 hours ago

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Ice cream made from breast milk? That's what the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream to consider making.

The Virginia-based nonprofit group sent a letter to company co-founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield on Tuesday asking them to use human breast milk instead of cow's milk in their products.

PETA said the health of consumers and cows would benefit from the switch.

Ben & Jerry's spokesman Rob Michalak said the company applauds PETA's creative approach to bring attention to an issue, but believes that a mother's milk is best used by a child.

Information from: The Times Argus, http://www.timesargus.com/
Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

From the PETA site:

For Immediate Release:
September 23, 2008

Ashley Byrne 757-622-7382

Burlington, Vt. - This morning, PETA dispatched a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of ice cream icon Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace the cow's milk in their products with human breast milk. PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves. PETA points out to Cohen and Greenfield that such a move on their part would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health at the same time.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

For more information, please visit PETA's Web site Blog.PETA.org or click here.

PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield follows.

September 23, 2008

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's. Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers--and cows--would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease--America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman
Executive Vice President
Old 09-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm for breast milk, but I don't want Ben&Jerry in between.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

There have to be a million breast/ice cream jokes here, but I'm drawing a blank. I even went to B & J's website for inspiration!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

B&J Top Ten
1- Obviously Not Cherry, Garcia® Ice Cream
2- Chocolate Tit Cookie Dough Ice Cream
3- Chocolate Fudge Breast™ Ice Cream
4- Chunky Boobie® Ice Cream
5- Half Bra™ Ice Cream
6- Phish Boob® Ice Cream
7- New York Super Boobs® Ice Cream
8- Coffee Breast Bar Crunch® Ice Cream
9- Obviously Not Cherry, Garcia® Low Fat Frozen Yogurt
10- Peanut Boobie Cups™ Ice Cream
Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ah....remember Garnet?

*remembers*
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
Cloud

ick.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Another that falls into the category of You Have to be Kidding Me.

http://www.houston-imports.com/dirty/dirty.html
Old 09-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

@ merc's post: mmmmm, crunchy mental illness, mmmmmmm.....
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post

When I was working as a humane officer I would have to go into places like that about once a month to remove animals (living and dead). One would think the people would always be in terrible shape too, but sometimes they'd appear quite average - except for that pervasive odor that clings to everything. I can smell it again just looking at those pix. Shower time!
Old 09-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post

Enough to gag a maggot................
Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I won't eat Ben and Jerry's anyway, because of the Mumia thing.

I won't support PETA because of the egregiously stupid thing.

And besides, I like meat.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Tulip
Professor

So, I was wondering. How much breast milk would be needed to make all that ice cream to sell on the market????
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'd eat breast milk ice cream quite happily, wouldn't bother me.
In fact if it was in the supermarket for the same price and the same or lower in fat as normal ice cream I would make it my preference.

But it's not going to happen.

Then again, I think that's partly PETA's point. First get people talking, second get people asking why it's okay to drink cow's milk if we won't drink breast milk.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

EXACTLY!

If their tactics can make our treatment of animals just a little more humane, then I say they are a success. We will always use animals for our needs, but it would be nice if we could minimize their pain and discomfort while we are at it.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote