The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Come enjoy an Iowa winter day with me!

Last Sunday was a perfect Iowa winter day. The kind that makes suffering through the previous weeks worth it. I took my kid sledding, then went cross country skiing on my new skis.

Yes, of course I brought the camera

First, a couple pics looking up the hill from the bottom, then out from the top. My daughter is in the purple on the right in the first pic. Normally this hill is packed, but we were there before church got out...heathens!!
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 01-30-2008 at 10:08 AM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
LabRat

Here is my YouTube debut:

It's hard enough to try to keep a sled going straight with my lardbutt on the back, but add trying to record the ride without ruining the camera on the wipeout, and well...you end up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMiGjVX6AJU

The video's contrast and resolution in YouTube sux compared to the real thing, anyone know how I can fix it?

Last edited by LabRat; 01-30-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
LabRat

Taken at the halfway point, to show the natural moguls that formed...great fun watching people hit these puppies!
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Looks like great fun. Reminds me of sledding when I was a kid in N. Ill and NJ.

I would love to experience for about one day, then back home to the nice weather. It was 70 in Savannah yesterday.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
LabRat

Red met me and picked up the kid. (He wasn't in the best shape for sledding, if you know what I mean) Then I took off on my new CC skis. It's been about 3-4 winters since I have CC skiied...so I brought my phone in case I needed to call in the medics.

I shooshed my way to the start of the horse trail that surrounds the perimeter of the park. I've never been on it, so had no idea what to expect...
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
glatt

That is a first class sledding hill.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
It's hard enough to try to keep a sled going straight with my lardbutt on the back, anyone know how I can fix it?
Ch. 10 Kama Sutra

apply some WD40 liberally to the underside...

of the sled.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
LabRat

Coming around a corner, and HEY! What happened there?? First thought, deer or rabbits. More likely deer though. Better look closer...
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
LabRat

I brought the pics back to Red, and he said "yes dear, it's deer" based on the evidence they left behind. (Rabbit poo tends to be darker, and smaller in diameter)
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 01-30-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
LabRat

This trail is definately not like the wideopen groomed trails I was used to in previous years...I had to duck to get through here, and several other spots like it.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
LabRat

It was a warm day. At this point about 35 degrees, and for the first time in a long time I heard birds chirping. The only ones I could identify were these male cardinals.
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 01-30-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
LabRat

Oooh! More wildlife! I saw lots of deer. I got a pic and some video for those not familiar with the pests...

Hmmm, video failed to upload after 2 tries. It was only a few seconds long, too short maybe? Eh, it was just that doe walking away, swishing her tail at me.
Attached Images

Last edited by LabRat; 01-30-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
LabRat

Just a few more shots of the creek valley the trail ran through. All in all went about 2.25 miles in an hour and 15 min. Only fell 3 times and lost the camera once. Stopped a lot to enjoy the peacefulness and snap pics. Never saw another person the whole time. By the time I got back to the car, the sledding hill was swarming with families. Enjoy the rest of the shots.

Monday, I could barely lift my arms they were so sore
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
shina
Hopeful

Great pics! I did the cc skiing about a month ago. I'm hooked.
shina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
LabRat

Attached Images