The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 02-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #106
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Right, one of the questions we need to deal with as a society is, shall we allow the shit-stirrers and conspiracy theorists on our social medias?

I say, sure. Everything is a theory until proven; you have to consider all the thoughts, in order to parse out what is correct.

Which is also somewhat true about news agencies we don't prefer. I may not like my neighbor's mean dog; but if I hear him barking frantically at 2am, that may still be useful information I can use.

Alex Jones spent time talking about some dude named Jeffrey Epstein, and alleged that this rich guy had a pedophile island, and he'd fly powerful rich people to it. It was deep conspiracy theory... at the time...
Well, not only that, but there is the practical side of it: "How the hell do you stop rumors?"

If the army can't do it, nobody can. In fact, the more you try to suppress rumors, the more they propagate.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #107
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Alex Jones spent time talking about some dude named Jeffrey Epstein, and alleged that this rich guy had a pedophile island, and he'd fly powerful rich people to it. It was deep conspiracy theory... at the time...
Alex Jones also incited harassment of a Sandy Hook parent until they committed suicide.

But I guess you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #108
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, you truly cannot.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #109
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Alex Jones also incited harassment of a Sandy Hook parent until they committed suicide.

But I guess you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
There is really nothing good to be said about the man.

He's a vulture of the worst sort.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #110
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
There is really nothing good to be said about the man.
I will say, he is entertaining.

Have you seen the video where he says, in all seriousness, "God told me to.. DESTROY. JOE. ROGAN."

Unfortunately we've hit this point in our society where being attention-grabbing makes you a source of truth. Maybe that's the way people have always been.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #111
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Unfortunately we've hit this point in our society where being attention-grabbing makes you a source of truth. Maybe that's the way people have always been.
That may be true but at least it was on a micro level where they would gather locals to run somebody out of town... unless they were black then lynch them.
But with social media and attention whore news, the mobs are a lot bigger like Charlottesville.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #112
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Netflix reveals the nine times a government has requested they take something down.

Singapore: 5
New Zealand: 1
Vietnam: 1
Germany: 1
Saudi Arabia: 1

They don't operate in China.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:14 PM   #113
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The actual list from Netflix

Quote:
• In 2015, we complied with a written demand from the New Zealand Film and Video Labeling Body to remove The Bridge from the service in New Zealand only. The film is classified as “objectionable” in the country.

• In 2017, we complied with a written demand from the Vietnamese Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information (ABEI) to remove Full Metal Jacket from the service in Vietnam only.

• In 2017, we complied with a written demand from the German Commission for Youth Protection (KJM) to remove Night of the Living Dead from the service in Germany only. A version of the film is banned in the country.

• In 2018, we complied with a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove Cooking on High, The Legend of 420, and Disjointed from the service in Singapore only.

• In 2019, we complied with a written demand from the Saudi Communication and Information Technology Commission to remove one episode—“Saudi Arabia”—from the series Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj from the service in Saudi Arabia only.

• In 2019, we received a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove The Last Temptation of Christ from the service in Singapore only. The film is banned in the country.

• In 2020, we complied with a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove The Last Hangover from the service in Singapore only.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #114
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If that's the only thing Germany ever requested to have removed, then it's only because Netflix had already done some serious self-policing. They've gotten a little better in just the last few years, but Germany's censorship laws are still surprisingly draconian.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #115
Griff
still says videotape

Bacefook has hired Jennifer Williams a former Fox and Friends producer to help "curate" the news, whatever that means.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #116
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Reddit banned several moderators of already-quarantined subreddit /r/The_Donald, and posted a strange set of rules for whom they would like to be the next moderators.

Understand, as a private place they can manage political matters however they like; but this brazen micro-management of a forum is ridiculous. I'm like, that's not how this works.

Separately, Reddit announced that they would ban users who "consistently upvote policy-breaking content within quarantined communities."

Good lord. This means they're doing data-mining to locate users they don't like!

My theory is that Reddit, which started out very okay, has lost its mojo over the last year or two -- due to an influx of low-quality users. I'm talking about teenagers, low-IQ shitposters, brazen keyboard warriors. Better quality users are departing, because why deal with all of that?

All these types are attracted to Reddit because its lack of real community; how it treats anonymity, how it fails to protect communities and instead tries to protect itself. How it does not support real conversation.

Reddit's answer to this is to create and enforce its own personal and, BTW, corporate cancel culture.

Bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #117
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I try to stay off of politics forums, and other such BS. The only thing I look at on Reddit is the BBQ and smoking meat forums. This morning I was looking at Fark.com and every tab I clicked on was either about trump, or Bernie. I haven't been back.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #118
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Reddit banned several moderators of already-quarantined subreddit /r/The_Donald, and posted a strange set of rules for whom they would like to be the next moderators.

Understand, as a private place they can manage political matters however they like; but this brazen micro-management of a forum is ridiculous. I'm like, that's not how this works.

Separately, Reddit announced that they would ban users who "consistently upvote policy-breaking content within quarantined communities."

Good lord. This means they're doing data-mining to locate users they don't like!

My theory is that Reddit, which started out very okay, has lost its mojo over the last year or two -- due to an influx of low-quality users. I'm talking about teenagers, low-IQ shitposters, brazen keyboard warriors. Better quality users are departing, because why deal with all of that?

All these types are attracted to Reddit because its lack of real community; how it treats anonymity, how it fails to protect communities and instead tries to protect itself. How it does not support real conversation.

Reddit's answer to this is to create and enforce its own personal and, BTW, corporate cancel culture.

Bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.
You can do shit like this all you like, just so long as you know that corrections happen.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #119
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Bacefook has hired Jennifer Williams a former Fox and Friends producer to help "curate" the news, whatever that means.
Curate is a technical term that means responsibility without authority, aka "you got left holding the bag."
Old 02-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #120
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

How are the rules strange?

ETA: Legit asking, I have no idea what their rules are for that or any other subreddit
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote