The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

December 5, 2006: Krampus

St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Claus, has companions in some cultures, and often these companions are as evil as Claus is depicted as good. This shot from the 20minutos.es daily gallery is taken in Austria, where on December 6 the Krampus appear in parades, with the goal of punishing children who behave badly.

I had never heard of this before, the Companions of St. Nick, but Wikipedia solves it:
Quote:
Often the subject of winter poems and tales, the Companions travel with St. Nicholas or his various equivalents (Father Christmas, Santa Claus), carrying with them a rod (sometimes a stick, bundle of switches or a whip, and in modern times often a broom) and a sack. They are sometimes dressed in black rags, bearing a black face and unruly black hair. In many contemporary portrayals the companions look like dark, sinister, or rustic versions of Nicholas himself, with a similar costume but with a darker color scheme.

Some of the companions take on more monstrous forms. Krampus and Klaubauf are variously depicted as horned, shaggy, bestial, or demonic. In many depictions the Krampus looks like popular images of the Devil, complete with red skin, cloven hooves, and short horns.

It is unclear whether the various companions of St. Nicholas are all expressions of a single tradition (likely Knecht Ruprecht), or a conflation of multiple traditions. Various texts, especially those outside the tradition, often treat the companions as variations on a single Knecht Ruprecht tradition.
And referring to Krampus itself:
Quote:
In parts of Austria, Krampusse, who local tradition says are (typically children of poor families), roamed the streets and sledding hills during the festival. They wore black rags and masks, dragging chains behind them, and occasionally hurling them towards children in their way. These Krampusumzuge (Krampus runs) still exist, although perhaps less violent than in the past.

Today, Schladming, a town in Styria, over 1200 "Krampus" gather from all over Austria wearing goat-hair costumes and carved masks, carrying bundles of sticks used as switches, and swinging cowbells to warn of their approach. They are typically young men in their teens and early twenties and are generally intoxicated. They roam the streets of this typically quiet town and hit people with their switches.
I'm in favor. If there are Santas in every mall, there should be roaming Krampusses as well, hitting passers-by at random and scaring the children into being good.

In other news, I did not realize before this morning that almost certainly Santa Claus is a re-pronunciation of Saint Nicholas, particularly if you drop the long O and pronounce it "ethnically". Sant-Nick-Loss. Sant-Ti-Closs. I get it now. Took me 43 years to figure that out.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Another source notes:

Quote:
(Santa Claus) originated from Dutch settlers' stories about Sinter Klass, the Dutch name for St Nicholas,
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

That's a pretty detailed getup the dude's got. Looks like he even has demonic earwax.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Aren't Santa's elves soooo cute!

Maybe the thinking is that if the kids get the hell beat out of them in early December, they'll be grateful for the socks and underwear they get for Christmas.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Emrikol
Compatriot-at-Arms

Didn't I see him in Lord of the Rings?
Emrikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like it. It let's children know what is in for them when they enter the corporate world.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
milkfish
A serene breakdown

Don't tell me: in the end, they throw him down the well, right?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Don't think this guy would 'fly' here, do you?

I wonder when the scary 'companions' got added to the St. Nicholas story. There weren't any in the original!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
Flint
Snowflake

What about Saint Dickless, and Saint Tickles? Can't forget them.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

They must raise tough kids in Austria, she's not scared at all. In contrast, check out these "kids scared of Santa" pics:

http://www.southflorida.com/events/s...allery?index=1

Some of them are worthy of being scared of! Some of them are drunk! Bad Santa!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
rkzenrage

I LOVE IT! Man we missed out.
I always said that Santa was a vampire, only out at night, you have to be asleep (he'll drain your blood otherwise) and lives where they have looooong nights, all the red.... vampire.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I'm in favor. If there are Santas in every mall, there should be roaming Krampusses as well, hitting passers-by at random and scaring the children into being good.
I'm with you there.

I'd like an alter ego to any saccharine sweet myth.

You go out Easter morning and instead of finding the eggs the Easter Bunny has left behind you are ambushed by the Hounds of Hell who have been waiting patiently in the orchard.....

Sometimes the Knuckle Collector turns up instead of the Tooth Fairy - and no, your parents can't open the door when they hear you scream.....

And that cute teddy you've been pretending was alive and talking to you during the day? Oh it's alive all right. But you never expected it to whisper things quite. like. that....
Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Didn't I see him in Lord of the Rings?
that's EXACTLY what i was thinking
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Sometimes the Knuckle Collector turns up instead of the Tooth Fairy - and no, your parents can't open the door when they hear you scream.....

Comedy-fucking-gold, right there. Nice.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
nil_orally
Larger than average member

Ah HA! I just knew my ex-wife had a job she wasn't declaring to the Child Support Agency!
nil_orally is offline   Reply With Quote