The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

WTF's up with the U.S. prison system??

The U.S. prison system--effective? Ineffective? Or just a giant clusterfuck? Also, would like to hear opinions on prison privatization.
FishHook004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
dmg1969
I got nothing

In my opinion, prison is not a means of rehabilitation. It is simply a place for people to spend time until they get out and either decide to straighten the fuck up or resume their criminal ways. I don't think prison changes people for the better. Hell, for a large percentage of urban youth, going to prison is just part off growing up.

What we need are some prisons that are serious about punishing. No TV, no basketball, no weights, period. It isn't a health club, it's a prison. If you don't like it, don't come back.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

Do you believe that could help reduce our recidivism rates? Or do you think they would still remain relatvely high compared to other parts of the world? Also, would you consider a prison that was more focused on rehabilitation and re-entrance to society than strictly punishment a successful alternative to our current system (check out the new Halden prison that was opened in Norway) ... do you think this would work in america?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Is this homework?

And, I have a follow-up question...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

having been, i agree with dmg in the aspect of no tv. rec? no, you have to have rec because if you don't? there will be way more fighting. i quit watching tv because of prison. i read now. only thing i watch on tv is the news or perhaps nascar or baseball. but that's pretty rare. i keep up with baseball reading the newspaper online. you know what the number 1 thing is that inmates fight over? the tv. with dominoes a close second.

as far as recidivism goes, some inmates get used to being incarcerated and actually enjoy it. when they get out all they want to do is get back in so they either fail their UA's enough to get their parole revoked or they go and break the law in such a blatant way that they know they will be caught. i went down for something i did not do but sure as hell don't want to go back. 33 on a 48 was enough.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

No, no homework... I was recently engaged in the topic and it turned into a heated discussion
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

i did 2.5 myself, and your second paragraph is pretty much the definition of the word institutionalized... I don't have a right or wrong answer for this guys... just fishing for opinions... curious to understand. The reason why our prison system is so ineffective.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ok this will make it easier, you having been. it's infective for several reasons. one: government has way too much paperwork involved. two: look at the average IQ of the inmates, let alone the guards. i remember one time while at rec taking a cool down lap from jogging, me and a friend were walking past a group of youngsters and i overheard and no shit, this is what i heard: "the next time i come down i'm gonna do it different......" i was like wtf? really? next time? "joel, did you just hear what that numbnut said?" he hadn't but when i told him he just shook his head. why the system doesn't work is beyond me. it does work for some obviously. you're new here and i don't know you yet but i know that i'm sure as hell not going back and even if i did do the crime, which, like i said before, i didn't, i sure as hell wouldn't want to go back. i don't miss the scullery, i don't miss commissary, i don't miss doing 1200 push ups a day i don't miss getting up at 3:30 am for breakfast. no a/c in south texas. i don't miss dropping the new bar of soap in the shower. (no y'all, nowadays if you drop the soap in the shower you don't pick it up because of all the baby batter on the floor, not for fear of getting boned in the butt) there is not one thing i miss from that place.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHook004 View Post
Also, would like to hear opinions on prison privatization.
It is a convenient business model that has a strong lobby in various state political circles.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

When is your paper due? . . .
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

Thanks mercenary, wasn't looking for a definition though... no paper due... just thought it'd be something to talk/argue about.... in other words, just felt like stirrin' up some shit
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

oh, privatized? what a joke. for my first two years i was at a Geo group facility. talk about corrupt guards. they'd bring in buglers for $20 a pack, sell themselves for sex, didn't care about their jobs. hell, they make minimum wage to start out and are treated like shit from the inmates. i make more as a go kart jockey now and would definitely do that more than be a guard. don't get me wrong though. i'm only pointing out the bad apples here. there are plenty of guards that treat you with respect, as long as you do the same with them, and care about their jobs. those are the ones that make rank quickly and move up in the corporate ladder structure.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
talk about corrupt guards. they'd bring in buglers for $20 a pack, sell themselves for sex, didn't care about their jobs.
buglers? cigs?
Sell themselves for sex? to who?
WTF?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

I'm not goin back either... that place sucks, I just wonder why I hate it so much that ill never go back, and others apparently don't hate it enough to straighten the hell up
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

easy, 3 hots and a cot. i guess. some people are just that way.