The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 PM   #151
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Wait a second. I politely ask you to please prove me wrong and suddenly your pulling an attitude with me. What the hell is that all about? Your certainly not going to change my mind about PETA if you don't give me any reason to change it. In the PETA thread I said in all seriousness that I was willing to look at any proof you had, that the things the websites claimed were false. I am willing to change my opinion of the organization but not because one person tells me to. I have seen first hand the bad side of PETA, so I asked you nicely to show me the good side. I haven't "spewed" any venom at you, I haven't called you any names, so I don't think I deserve the response you just gave me.

If you don't want to give me the names of some people who are experts on Leopards thats fine by me. Its no skin off my nose, I'll just continue to assume the nature programs are correct and go about my life.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 PM   #152
marichiko

Fine. You all think THIS is better? And this was done by the being with all the ethics, morality, intelligence, etc. Where is THAT animal's philosophical argument in this thread? SOMEONE needs to stand up for those with no voice. I never thought much about PETA one way or the other, but is THIS what the rest of you are in favor of?
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #153
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Don't mistake a general disagreement with the PETA's tactics or philosophies as the approval of what happened to that lion. It's not all one side or the other. I would personally like 10 minutes in an empty room with whoever did that(guaranteed they wouldn't come out in the same shape they went in once I'm done), but at the same time I don't feel at all guilty about eating meat, for example.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 PM   #154
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
THIS what the rest of you are in favor of?
yes mari - i favor slaughtering beautiful animals for no reason. i think it is best if we kill them and don't use any of their parts for our betterment. i think taking a picture and posting it on the net is justification enough for killing them.

c'mon Mari - you know that isn't how anyone here really feels. there is a huge difference between killing an animal for cruel pleasure and killing an animal for food. i don't think you will find any cellarite (even the most carniverous) who finds this abhorrent behavior acceptable.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:52 PM   #155
marichiko

I know, Cyber (and Lookout). I guess I just got sort of ticked at how everyone's seemed down on Garnet. She seems as reasonable as anyone else around here, more than some - myself included.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:00 AM   #156
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Were you here when she first registered? Before the Cellar lost a week's worth of posts?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #157
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
It's PETA's mentality I have a problem with, not Garnet as a person. I guess it seems that way because she's a PETA-er.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 AM   #158
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

...like ya just don't cay-yer!

(I'm really sorry.)
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:13 AM   #159
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
I know, Cyber (and Lookout). I guess I just got sort of ticked at how everyone's seemed down on Garnet. She seems as reasonable as anyone else around here, more than some - myself included.
Not everyone is getting down on her. I genuinely want to hear the good that PETA does. I have asked her several times to change my mind on the organization and as of yet she hasn't posted any proof but one link. She better then anyone here is equipped to educate us on the good the organization does. Is it so unreasonable that I ask her to enlighten us?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 AM   #160
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Brig, garnet posted a link (Lost now?) to the southern VA PETA office. I think it's the one where she works. It described and showed(pictures) a lot of great work they do at a local level. Rescue, spay/neuter, free doghouses and a lot of other useful work. You would never guess it's the same organization that we see in the national media or the IotD. Garnet feels those things are a false image, ie lies. She sees local good things, we see international stupidity.
One of the things that immediately raises my hackles, and I don't think I'm alone here, is anyone or group starts telling me what to do. I don't care if it's good for me or not, don't preach. If you say that I'm wrong in my actions/beliefs, and only a fool would do/think that, you've lost any chance of convincing me.
Finally, any discussion of PETA heads off into the "to eat, or not to eat" minefield and whether leather seats in your car are a crime against nature. The good things PETA may do is overshadowed in that arena.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #161
lookout123

garnet has the right to believe anything she wants ( and do most anything she wants). i commend her desire to protect animals. i support PETA in Humane Society type situations, but i think they go overboard in the attempt to get the world to quit using animal products. those are my beliefs which i have the right to.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:47 AM   #162
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Were you here when she first registered? Before the Cellar lost a week's worth of posts?
No, I was out of town when she joined and when I got back the big crash had already happened.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #163
lookout123

Quote:
the big crash had already happened.
does everyone realize that if we keep referring to the "big crash" that this event could take on mythological proportions to generations of future cellarites? now what kind of story can we create to go along with
The Big Crash ?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:04 PM   #164
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Terrorists!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #165
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Terrorists!
Bruce! you got the memo, didn't you? we aren't allowed to discuss the terrorist connection with the BIG CRASH.

Memo to all Cellarites:

The mild disturbance that some radical elements have tagged "The Big Crash" was caused by a minor computer glitch. It had absolutely nothing to do with terrorist elements running rampant in our society. This was really a non-event. It never happened. Please resume your carefree lifestyle immediately.
Remember, there were no terrorists involved with The Big Crash, in fact, please forget that you received this notice.

Thank you,

TAA
The Appropriate Authorities