The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
vrai_rennx
Voix de Vérité

Bonjour, from a new member.

Just thought I should introduce myself as a new member. A few quick facts:

I'm newly 16, I don't drink (beer tastes gross), smoke (and if you smoke around me I'm likely to grab the cigarette out of your mouth and stomp on it. I prefer not to die of lung cancer), or do drugs (I rather like my brain cells intact). I'm a scientist (and an artist at heart, even though I can't sing/draw/paint/dance/act/etc) and I don't eat seafood for the same reason vegetarians don't eat all kinds of meat. I'll eat meat, though, just not seafood. I wish I was French. Or British. Any sort of European, really. I have a phobia of needles. I'm gay/straight (read: bi) and I believe in true love.

So that's me. Hello. Oh, and you can call me Renn.

~les beaux esprits se rencontrent~

Last edited by vrai_rennx; 09-23-2006 at 06:07 PM.
vrai_rennx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrai_rennx
Just thought I should introduce myself as a new member.
Welcome!
Quote:
I don't eat seafood for the same reason vegetarians don't eat all kinds of meat.
What reason is that? I mean, I also don't eat seafood, but it's not for any reason that I would consider vegetarian - I think it smells and tastes bad.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

16 eh?

that makes it legal over here....
Old 09-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hello, Renn. If you touch my cigarette ,I'll put you over my knee and..... well, it just gets better from there.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Ibby
erika

Well, we sure do sound a lot alike...

Musically speaking, where do you stand?

And I think you failed to mention your gender...
Old 09-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Well, you sure do come on strong. all upfront about your 'stances' and shit. who cares if you eat seafood? or if you go both ways? Just remember that it's my reality your inserting yourself into. I prefer it when people are a little more mysterious. If you give it all up within an introduction, you leave little to interpretaition of the unsaid, and end up pidgeon holed before you ever get rolling. show. don't tell.

since you're newly 16, i can understand the mistake, but do us a favor and learn from it. now...if you;d like, i'll administer the quiz. it has been a good long whle since i've given one, and you may consider it an honor. or you can decide that i'm an ass and ignore me. your choice.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I, for one, prefer to know a persons background before talking with them. Often this makes the difference between a reaction of and when reading someones argument. You say you're a scientist, interesting statement for a sixteen yearold but I'll bite, my screenname and bio say enough about my involvement with it. Your desire to be European is an interesting jumping-off point I think, most scientists have their eyes set on the other side of the globe.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

how often is there honesty in someone's self perception. especially online? if you asked me to tell you about myself, i'm sure i would put my best foot forward too. not interested in that, im afraid. i like people like brianna. shes fucking honest
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

You are at the bottom of the sea and don't eat seafood? And I don't get how one can use the vegatarian's logic to abstain from seafood but not the very food it addresses.

I'll take a wild guess that you are from Halifax.

And dying of cancer could easily be the least of your worries if you are inclined to grab a cig out of someone's mouth.

But, that aside, welcome to the Cellar.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome.

People who think beer tastes bad have only tasted bad beer.

If you still feel that way after you've had good beer, there is always wine and whisky to check out.

Of course, you should wait until you attain your legal majority for that.

And once again, if you grab my cigarette out of my mouth, cancer is the least of your worries.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I'll take a wild guess that you are from Halifax.
I'm going with Portland. I'd say Austin, but nobody in Austin really gives a crap about seafood unless it's sushi. The fact that it's mentioned seems to indicate to me that the topic comes up a lot for him/her (and for the record, my money's on "her.")
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
vrai_rennx
Voix de Vérité

Haha, well Clodfobble got it right, I am a her.

And I'm from Cleveland, OH.

Happy Monkey: I don't eat seafood because I'm an ichthyologist/marine biologist, and so I feel bad eating any animal from the sea. It just doesn't feel right to me. We've screwed up stuff enough on land, do we have to mess with the oceans, too? It's not our world down there, and I think we should leave it be.

Bruce, Wolf: Seeing as how we're separated by computer, I think it's safe to say that all of your cigarettes are safe. But the cilia on the cells in your trachea is not.

Ibram: How do you mean, musically speaking? What kind of music I like?

Lumberjim: What kind of quiz? I'm game. And as for just putting my best foot forward just cause I'm online- Here are three bad things about me:
1) I have a problem with having to be right, and don't take being wrong well.
2) I'm overweight. Not obese, but still.
3) I'm too self conscious, scared, and worried about what other people think to come out to my friends or family. The only one who knows I'm bi is my mom, and that's cause she guessed.

Wolf: Beer tastes gross, but wine coolers and Mike's Hard Lemonade is good. But I'm liable to get drunk in only about 2 sips. So my mom doesn't let me try hers that often... And, yeah, I think I'll stay legal.

9th Engineer: I have an eye for science. You could say it's my religion. (BTW, I'm a Deist/Rationalist. Think Benjamin Franklin.) Like I mentioned before, I'm primarily into Marine Biology and fish, but I also have a thing for genetics. And I think most Americans are uncultured and just rawr. I'm probably biased coming from a high school population, but my family doesn't help at all. And I don't agree with a lot of America's politics and foreign issues right now. But anyway.

Anything else?

Old 09-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Personally, I'd recommend holding off on calling yourself "an ichthyologist/marine biologist" unless you have a degree, or perhaps are in some sort of very special program for 16-year-old "scientists." At the very least, I would expect you to work during the summer at Sea World. Being very interested in something is enough credibility for now, studying to be something is just fine. But you never know when a professional ichthyologist might be reading the board, and take offense.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #14
vrai_rennx
Voix de Vérité

Hey, an ichthyologist is someone who studies fish. I study fish. I may not have a degree (yet), but that doesn't mean I can't study them.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I'll give you the title once you're in university, there's no way you can study fish in highschool in the manner of a scientist unless you go to one of those super-curriculum enhanced ones. Even so, there's alot more that goes into that just studying the fish, I would expect you to have the knowlege base of a true ichthyologist before you give yourself full airs. Even with myself I append my claim of being a Bioengineer with the fact that I'm still a student, even though I do the research (In a real academic lab) and write the papers (for journals) to back up my claim.