The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Fuck Getty Images - Photog sues them for $1B

https://torrentfreak.com/photographe...images-160728/

Photographer Carol Highsmith goes after Getty for selling her images

Her bio
Quote:
When Getty Images sent photographer Carol Highsmith a $120 settlement demand for using one of 'their' images without permission, things were about to get messy. The image in question was actually Highsmith's own work, displayed on her own website. Highsmith has now responded with a $1bn lawsuit.
During a near half-hour telephone conversation with LCS, Highsmith began by explaining that she is the author of the image. However, she also revealed that she had donated this and thousands of other images to the Library of Congress and makes them available to the public to reproduce and display for free.

Instead, Getty misrepresents the terms and conditions of using the Highsmith Photos by falsely claiming a user must buy a copyright license from Getty in order to have the right to use the Highsmith Photos.”

In some cases Getty was demanding $575 for use of just one of Highsmith’s images, despite the photographer making the content freely available to the public. Worse still, the company has also been sending out settlement demands to people who used the images legally on their websites.

“The Defendants have apparently misappropriated Ms. Highsmith’s generous gift to the American people,” the lawsuit reads.
Corporate douchery.

On a personal note, whenever I hear on the news "consumer price index" it brings into clear relief that we've lost our humanity in this country. We (through our so called elected, so called leaders) see ourselves and measure our health as 'consumers' rather than as people, communities, families, volunteers.

It shows where we place our values; how much did we buy or sell, rather than how many people did we spend face to face time with or how many hours did we spend working on community projects, or how many tons of trash did we haul from our rivers and lakes?

I've traveled in countries where the citizens didn't have the buy, buy, buy mania but instead spent their time eating, socializing, playing, and working. It seemed to be working out for them.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

We used to use photo sharing sites when I was in the advertising business. There used to be plenty of them to choose from and they all had their niches. Over the last 5-7 years though, Getty bought virtually all of them and they are pretty much it. The prices have also quintupled.
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment - Fuck Getty.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Every time I see this thread title, I misread it as "sues them for $18."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Every time I see this thread title, I misread it as "sues them for $18."
Probably still more than the pic is worth.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote