The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I didn't think shrieking, "There's a snake in my apartment" to an answering machine in the rental office would be effective.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #17
Nirvana
Back in 10

Did it look like this one?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
... and probably under 7 inches long, although at the time he seemed much larger than that.
Definately a killer Anaconda...

Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yes, my initial impression was very much like those last two. Monster from a late night horror movie it was!!

(despite it's minuscule size, it did have a surprising amount of strength as it was wrapping itself around my finger and trying to bite me)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

While I am not frightened of snakes, I'm not terribly partial to them, either. This can be inconvenient at times when I'm at TF's since her snakes tend to get loose with disturbing regularity.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

See, now I really can't sleep.

I've become convinced that this incident was like that first scene in a horror movie ... you know, where the guy is less than kind to a small member of some species and then the big one comes and chases him for the next 85 minutes and then eats him and takes over the world?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

we had a corn snake named 'slim' that looked exactly like the pic you posted wolf.

they're extra cuddly and nice.

don't get askeered.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Is your condo out in the woods, Wolf?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So next time Momwolf bitches about coming home, before the doctor says it's ok, you'll have an ace in the hole.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #25
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I didn't think shrieking, "There's a snake in my apartment" to an answering machine in the rental office would be effective.
Probably not, but I think you should have done it anyway. Worth a or two for the poor sap who has to listen to the messages.

Downunda, there are so many snakes that are bloody deadly it is just safer to presume any given snake is a killer. As for the glock solution, you'd have to be a very good shot. I know a lass whose father used a 12-gauge shotgun on a king brown that was in the flower garden. It works.

I applaud you for wearing gloves. Most people who get bitten, get bitten because they were attacking or otherwise trying to deal with a snake while not adequately equipped.

Sleep well, Wolf, but remember... snakes are attracted to warmth.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Aw Wolf. Like Sky, I appreciate the horror of the situation, but had a bloody good laugh at your write-up anyway.

I'm also most impressed at your gung ho attititude.
I have no personal dislike of snakes, but their reality in my inner sanctum, coupled with the awareness that they can do serious damage, is likely to have rendered me incapable of action. My first move would have been to grab my mobile phone and then exit the flat, wondering who on my phone list would be kind enough never to tease me, while being macho enough to save me...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #27
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

People have been afraid of snakes from Day One. There's something unnatural about something that slithers, can remain motionless for hours or even days, has a good chance of being poisonous and capable of blinding speed.

I recall one incident at high school where I tired of my books being stolen in gym class, so I captured a snake (harmless one), placed it in a valise and left it for the thief to find. The shriek was unearthly!

The interesting thing about that snake is it's defense mechanism. It rears up, spreads a hood like a cobra and sways back and forth. Of course, if you call it's bluff, it then tries to play dead since it's main food is toads and salamanders. But the way to tell it from a cobra is to look closely at it's "face". It has a blunt nose as compared to the cobra's pointed one. They don't call it the Eastern Hognose for nothing. Cobras are not native to the US but you'd have to know that first.

Who is that brave?

Not my thief.

He levitated up on top of lockers and stayed there.

Not the rest of the class, who went to investigate the noise. They ran out like the place was on fire. Nope. Just me lil ole me strolled in and took control.

I went in, knowing I'd found my thief at last. I picked up the snake, dragged him down and frog-marched him to the principals office. He was not amused and made me let the snake go. Two week suspension for that one, but it was worth being able to look the kid in the eye and say, "Next time it MIGHT be deadly!"

Never lost another book, calculator or personal belongings. Ever.

Last edited by BrianR; 09-16-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: forgot the link
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #28
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #29
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

It just occurred to me what really strikes me about this thread; I would not have imagined Wolf as being afraid of anything.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #30
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I like snakes. My bro kept them when I was young. Though when cleo died mum said No More, because she'd had a habit of escaping and being found in random places around the house lol. I think ma thought she might find her wrapped round my neck one day.

Even though I really like snakes, I think I'd be proper freaked if I just found one in my house or hotel room. I get easily freaked by out of place things. Context matters. I like rats too, but i freak if they're in my house unexpectedly.

Cutest snakes I ever saw were iddy biddy baby garter snakes. They were my uncles. He must have only had them days when he passed away and my bro took them on. There were I think about 6 or 7 of them. Having been used to cleo wrapping her long python body around me, it was so damn cute to have a little baby snake doing the same thing on my index finger. Beautiful little things they were. Glistened like jewels.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote