The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2001, 11:49 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9/13: World Reaction part 2

Almost all of these are wire service images with wire service captions. I haven't seen this anywhere else, however, and I think it's important. So:

Ireland
Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, left, and members of his Cabinet look at floral tributes after signing a book of condolences at the U.S. Embassy in Dublin

Germany
A police officer collects flowers from mourners outside the security cordon next to the U.S. embassy in Berlin Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2001. Berliners are no longer allowed to approach the embassy in Berlin's government district following Tuesday's terrorist attacks on the United States. Police gathered the flowers and brought them through a second security area to the embassy.

Germany 2
A little girl holds a candle while standing with hundreds of mourners in downtown Munich, Germany, Wednesday, Sept. 12. 2001 during a ceremony for the victims of the terrorist attacks in the United States.

Bangladesh
Bangladeshis in Dhaka condemn the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on September 12, 2001. Bangladesh beefed up security around the U.S. embassy following the attacks.

Belarus
Ruzhana Vecherko, 3, puts a candle outside the U.S. Embassy in Minsk, Belarus, Wednesday, Sept 12, 2001. The poster at right reads: Dear American people, we send our condolences and sympathy to you and your country.

Palestine
Palestinian women mourn during a vigil outside the U.S. consulate in east Jerusalem, September 12, 2001. Palestinians said they sympathized with the victims of the attack in the United States despite their criticism of U.S. support for Israel during the Palestinian uprising.

Israel
Israelis light candles outside the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv, September 12, 2001. Flags flew at half-mast across the Jewish state as Israel expressed its sorrow over the unprecedented assault on its main ally.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 12:58 PM   #2
ndetroit
Master Locutor

hmmm......

Perhaps some good will come of this whole thing after all.

I do not think that a single stone has been thrown or a single bullet fired in Jerusalem since this all started..

That must be the longest peace they've had over there in months....

who knows. Maybe it will last.
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 01:47 PM   #3
Vegeta
As far beyond mutants as they beyond you

Undertoad, thank you very much for all the pictures. They're some of the best and definitely most touching material I've seen this week. Each new batch of pictures from you causes tears to well up.
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 04:17 PM   #4
BryanD
Rouser of rabble

Quote:
Originally posted by ndetroit
I do not think that a single stone has been thrown or a single bullet fired in Jerusalem since this all started..

That must be the longest peace they've had over there in months....

who knows. Maybe it will last.
Alas, by the time you said this - it was broken.

Nine die on Mideast day of mourning
September 12, 2001 Posted: 2:46 PM EDT (1846 GMT)

JENIN, West Bank (CNN) -- An Israeli woman was killed on the West Bank following the deaths of nine Palestinians in clashes with Israeli troops around Jenin. ....

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe...nin/index.html
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 04:56 PM   #5
ndetroit
Master Locutor

There's not really much to say about that then, I guess. So terrible.

One thing I did not understand is this quote:

"The Red Crescent said three Palestinians were killed in Arabe village, one of them a 10-year-old girl. "

Is the Red Crescent some kind of Middle-Eastern version of the Red Cross?(obviously they would not want to accept aid from an organization based on Christian symbolism...)
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 07:04 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Correct, ndetroit

The two work together, but the Red Crescent operates in Muslim countries, to my knowledge. I believe there is one more Red Cross-like group that is exclusive to Iran, called the Red Sun and Lion.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bumping parts 2 3 and 4 which were shown two days after.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote