The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

April 22, 2009: Lakehurst NAVAIR

Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Station, also less well known as Maxfield Field, brings to mind Herbert Morrison's immortal words, "Oh, the humanity!"
Yes, famous for the Hindenburg disaster but also the home of the Navy's airship development, home base for the Blimps, and many other Naval Air firsts.

But what is this? Straight, flat, ski tows?

No, Naval Air test tracks, for testing stuff used on carriers.
Quote:
In order for a plane to safely land on an aircraft carrier without racing off the end, its tailhook needs to be 'caught' by arresting cables attached to the carrier's deck (see here). these cables need to be extremely strong and durable but also flexible enough so as not to stop the plane too quickly. these 5 test tracks, located at navair in Lakehurst, are dedicated to testing these very systems and the emergency barricades.

Quote:
The photo above shows an F/A-18 airframe sitting on a sled. on the back of that sled are 4 jet engines which, when fired up, will produce 42,000lbs of thrust and ultimately send the jet down the 1.74 miles (2.8km) track at a speed of 285mph (460km/h), into an arresting cable or barricade. if the plane stops: great. if not, the plane usually ends up in the clearing behind the track or amongst the trees. either way, an enormous, expensive amount of fun.
And you thought six Flags was fun.

I'm not giving you the link because tomorrows IOtD is coming from the same site, so you'll get the link tomorrow... Same Cellar time, same Cellar channel.

Yeah, I know you can easily find the site... if you want to be a doodiehead. :p
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Why haven't the Myth busters found this site YET !!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They'd be treated like hijackers.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
stevecrm
Just moved in

With all those bushes around the tracks, i wonder if any animals have run out in front of a test plane at full speed. that would make a mess
stevecrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
glatt

I just checked it out on Google Earth, and it's an impressive optical illusion. Those lines are not even close to being parallel, like they appear to be above.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

But since it's New Jersey, you know there will be some jerk ahead of your jet driving all over the place and giving you the finger.

How To Drive In Jersey:

Seriously, there are only two things needed to drive effectively in NJ: A horn and a middle finger. Everything else is superfluous, including knowing where you are going. For those of you who live in Jersey or have lived there, these things may come as no surprise. For those who haven't traveled there before, BEWARE!!! Be Prepared!!!

How To Drive In Jersey ...

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name; it is Nork - rhymes with Fork, not New-ark. Also, Trenton is not pronounced Tren-ton, it is Trent-in.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5 AM to NOON. The evening rush hour is from NOON to 7 PM. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on the turnpike is 85 mph. On the parkway it's 105 or 110. Anything less is considered "Sissy." (Just ask the Governor of NJ)

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Jersey has its own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second;

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot.

6. Never honk at anyone. EVER! Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous in all of Jersey . Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, skunks, dogs, cats, barrels, cones, celebs, rubber-neckers, shredded tires, cell-phoners, deer and other road kill, and the Homeless feeding on any of these items..

9. MapQuest does NOT work here -- none of the roads are where they say they are or go where they say they do and all the Turnpike EZ Pass lanes are moved each night once again to make your ride more exciting.

10. If someone actually has their Turn Signal ON, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated."

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 70 in a 55-65mph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be "flipped off" accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. Do not try to estimate travel time - - just leave Monday afternoon for Tuesday appointments, by noon Thursday for Friday appointments, and right after church on Sunday for anything on Monday morning.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Where's the treadmill?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I just checked it out on Google Earth, and it's an impressive optical illusion. Those lines are not even close to being parallel, like they appear to be above.
If they were truly parallel, they would appear to converge, right?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

It would be even more exciting if the aircraft frames were traveling from left to right in glatt's photo, and if every track had an aircraft on it.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
glatt

New Jersey has this, and the cornfield cruiser. It's like the state of weird military installations.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

how come there are never any chick IoTd?

they are ALL centered around dudes and what dudes like.

I am getting rather pissed about this. I'd like to see the latest hand-bags or shoes I can't afford, or the summary of some play or other. why all the man-things?

and DO NOT suggest I post and IoTd. I can hardly type as it is.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Where's the treadmill?
The Navy is smarter than that.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

[quote=Brianna;559116]how come there are never any chick IoTd?

I am getting rather pissed about this. I'd like to see the latest hand-bags or shoes I can't afford, or the summary of some play or other. why all the man-things?

and DO NOT suggest I post and IoTd. I can hardly type as it is.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that answer your question?

(Ducks flying objects being hurled at my head)
Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
how come there are never any chick IoTd?

and DO NOT suggest I post and IoTd. I can hardly type as it is.
You got something against semen... uh, seamen?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #15
SPUCK
Professor

Quit whining!! We had a recent chick IoTD..

SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote