The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

British Telly

There are a bunch of individual threads targeting the telly, but I decided I wanted one place that I could find if I really needed to burble on about something ... and burble I must.

Being trapped in the apt by the first snowstorm of the season gave me an opportunity to catch up on some television shows that I'd been missing.

I've focused on two series from BBC America. I've gotten caught up to the episodes broadcast so far.

Bedlam ... upscale condos in a building that used to be a nuthouse, creepy things happen, and there's this guy who sees ghosts, sort of, who just got out of a nuthouse himself. Lots of secrets in the past and the present of the old nuthouse, it seems. I just finished watching episode 5.

Not as exciting as I'd hoped, but not terrible either. Kind of understated, which is what I expect of most British tv shows.

Whitechapel ... seems as if there's a trend of pulling the past into the present going on. This is just a modernizing of the characters like Sherlock ... but a newly minted Detective Inspector gets dumped on an established murder investigation unit. There are some amusing cultural clashes between the DI and the hardened veterans of the force, but the main action revolves around some slasher murders ... I don't think it spoils the plot too much to mention that there are some historical references in the crime spree. We've only got the first two episodes of this one over here. I'm assuming that this is a close-ended series?

Law and Order: UK ... almost word for word reshoots of American Law and Order epsiodes. Haven't you guys been getting ours over there? I understand redoing the series ... we've stolen enough of your concepts (The Office, Steptoe and Son, whatever All in the Family was over there), after all, but shouldn't you have your own plotlines? It is fun seeing some of my favorite old episodes with warrant cards and horsehair wigs, but come on!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

After years of being out of the TV loop, I've recently begun to watch some shows through Netflix. Can someone explain why British series (e.g. The IT Crowd, Coupling) seem to only have about six episodes in a season and US series have about 24?

Does a season = 1 year? Are the shows broadcast every week?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

They usually go out weekly, and they usually have a year between series.

Most of our television shows are comparatively short runs next to US tv. There are some long running staples (soaps and long running hospital and police dramas) but most are short.

Doctor Who, Merlin and a few others are considered here to be 'long' series, because they go to 12 or 13 episodes.

Often they mess around with the number of episodes as well. So, whereas Being Human got a first series of 6 episodes, then two subsequent series (in subsequent years :P) of 8 episodes each, Luther began with a first series of 6 and then returned for a second series of 4 episodes.

Most of the really great British dramas and dramedies are short. State of Play, Life on Mars, Holding On, The Thick of It, Being Human, all i think had 6 or 8 episode series.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
HungLikeJesus

So a whole season is only 6 or 8 weeks, then you have to wait 10 months to see the next season? It seems like people would lose interest.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Can someone explain why British series (e.g. The IT Crowd, Coupling) seem to only have about six episodes in a season and US series have about 24?
Writing.

Most British series, be it comedy or drama, are written by a single or pair of writers, generally the creators, while American shows will enlist a whole team of writers which often reaches double figures.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
So a whole season is only 6 or 8 weeks, then you have to wait 10 months to see the next season? It seems like people would lose interest.
attention span. apparently cultural?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
HungLikeJesus

Sorry, I had to scroll up to see what you were talking about.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Bedlam ... upscale condos in a building that used to be a nuthouse, creepy things happen, and there's this guy who sees ghosts, sort of, who just got out of a nuthouse himself. Lots of secrets in the past and the present of the old nuthouse, it seems. I just finished watching episode 5.

Not as exciting as I'd hoped, but not terrible either. Kind of understated, which is what I expect of most British tv shows.
I was really looking forward to it... and was disappointed.
It wasn't dire, but it had nothing new to offfer. It had no real atmosphere and didn't deliver any finger-tingling moments.

It's what I've come to expect of new, untried horror novels and most films. The gems are few and far between, and it's usually like searching for diamonds in a manure heap. Occasionally exceptionally rewarding, but a lot of shit getting there.

Having it as a TV format was brave, but it just wasn't good enough (IMO) to cut it.
Things which could have been improved: the story; the dialogue; the acting.
I wasn't all that fond of Crooked House, but it beat that Bedlam into a meringue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Whitechapel ... seems as if there's a trend of pulling the past into the present going on. This is just a modernizing of the characters like Sherlock ... but a newly minted Detective Inspector gets dumped on an established murder investigation unit... I'm assuming that this is a close-ended series?
Yep it's a genre now. But Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis gave it a little more weight. And of course Steve Pemberton was in it, with his peculiar animalistic appeal. There is another series. Not sure if it will be the last.

I liked the way it was shot. It's certainly not supposed to be realistic, so it does exist in its own slightly off-beat world.

Law & Order UK - no idea.
I wasn't aware we'd imported any series - as you say it is usually the other way round.
My only suggestion is that they had a similar series approved but it was too close to the American TV programme for it not to raise eyebrows. So they bought it in, and will develop it along British lines. From previous experience of television this is feasible, just highly uncommon in this country where the development of programmes comes from a smaller source and there is advance knowledge of American programmes in the pipeline..
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
DanaC

It's been going for a little while now that show. I've never really got into it. Despite having Freema Agyeman and Apollo from BSG :P

I suspect it was an attractive franchise to plug into because of its flexibility. And because sometimes it's interesting to look at the same basic story but transplanted to a different culture. That and the Law and Order name tag is a guaranteed audience who'll give it a try.

Sundae: if you haven't already, and you get a chance, check The Fades out.

Ep 1 is brilliant (I thought), showing a lovely friendship between the two 17 year old lads at the centre of it and setting the pieces in place. A few definate make ya jump moments.

Ep 2 is good, and I enjoyed it, but began to wonder if the mythos they were building was going to work, and if the series would have enough legs to make it through. But was still into it enough to go for ep 3.

Ep3 is the game changer. Things start to build, the mythos starts to gain some darker substance, and the ending had me on the edge of my seat in disbelief.

Ep4, 5 and 6: really solid, dark and funny, some genuinely chilling moments, and also moments of lyricism.

I just i wish there were more than 6 episodes!

I am so impressed with t-leaf. That boy can really act. He can turn on a dime between humour and pathos. He, and the lad who plays Paul (the central character) are absolutely brilliant young actors.

And it's really well-written, I think. Some scenes of family life and friends interacting, that are just so brilliantly observed. The relationship between Paul and his mum for instance, is really well-written and acted.

And I have barely touched on the details of the mythos. Which starts out interesting, then threatens to become a little trite then takes an unexpected left turn into intriguing and disturbing again :P

Some elements of it remind me of Being Human. Other elements more of Misfits. And something else too. Something retro, I think. Not sure.

So hope theymake another series. They sure left the door open.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I started it and really liked it.
Then it just faded away (hah)
Not because of the eps, I just lost impetus.
I probably had a new book.
It's on the list again now, knowing I have lots to catch up on.

Last edited by Sundae; 11-04-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
DanaC

Ha! faded away. Very good.

Given the presence of the rather attractive lust interest from Miranda, there wasn't much chance of my fading away from this one :p
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
DanaC

Oh, talking of misfits, the current issue of SFX is doing a big Misfits series 3 special.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Whitechapel ...

Yep it's a genre now. But Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis gave it a little more weight. And of course Steve Pemberton was in it, with his peculiar animalistic appeal. There is another series. Not sure if it will be the last.
I remember seeing at least one episode (or most of it) and I tried to find more of the series later, but couldn't remember series' title, nor locate the time or broadcaster. - Seemed strange at first, but liked it after a bit.
So, with the title supplied by you I found the info on the ITV website. Seems it was only a three part series; no wonder I couldn't find more episodes :/

Will keep my eyes open to catch any further series.

Thanks, Sundae, for the hint
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ha! faded away. Very good.
Can't get it from the Beeb, except with audio description and signing.
NO THANKS.

Have to go elsewhere.

ETA - You're welcome Scriv.
It doesn't have me whole-hearted approval, but it's worth whiling away some time with.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
DanaC

http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/The-...n_1/episode_1/

I recommend the putlocker or megavideo streams.