Old 07-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #1276
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Man. I hate when this happens.

Oregon woman finds mountain lion napping in her home: 'This is wild'

Name:  sleepytime.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  82.0 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #1277
glatt

I saw this the other day. Did you see the part where she did a Vulcan mind meld with it to get it to leave?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #1278
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That cat looks comfy. There's a certain Harry S. Miller folk song that comes to mind.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #1279
Griff
still says videotape

um eeeeeek
Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #1280
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I think this cat was someone's pet they turned out in the wild. It saw the door open and went in like any house cat would. Being the cat didn't freak out upon seeing the human tells me it was probably rescued until it could be turned out.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #1281
glatt

OK. I fee dumb that I never realized this before, but when you are outside at night and are wearing a fairly strong headlamp, those glittering dew drops you see here and there in large numbers on the grass are actually spider's eyes looking back at you. You'll see, when you get closer. And they are everywhere.

If you change your headlamp to red, they glow red.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #1282
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have no experience with the phenomenon you're describing, but how do you know it's not actual moisture/dew drops?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #1283
glatt

Because when you walk up to one, it's a spider. I tried to say that in my post but wasn't terribly clear.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #1284
captainhook455
Rapscallion

It is a ground spiders web which catches fleas or mosquitoes or whatever. Before morning they collect their web to recycle for the next night. That is dew shining back at you as the spider is so small its doubtful you could see the reflection of its eyes.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #1285
travis_fitness
Banned

That article was so informative. Thanks!
travis_fitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #1286
glatt

See, I thought it was dew, but upon closer examination it was the spiders' eyes. Dew hadn't formed yet, and the reflection was greenish when the headlamp was in white light mode, and red in red mode. These were the kind of spiders that just crawl around and don't have webs. I always called the bigger ones wolf spiders.

This page talks about it too, although they are in Belize and I was in Virginia.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #1287
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I have never seen their eyes never paid attention to it. My night visitor built a web from the porch rail to the porch swing. It only took a couple nights for it to learn about the cats walking on the rail for it to adjust its web. Someone visiting at night dispatched him/her. I don't bother the wildlife if it doesn't bother me and I was upset that they killed my spider.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #1288
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I can back Glatt up here. Seen it many times. What we call 'field spiders/wolf spiders' (brown, can get fairly big, black stripe down each leg) you can pick 'em out at night with a flashlight from a fair distance away by their reflecting eyes.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #1289
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

In the hottest part of summer we got little 'worms' (?) that come out and glow on their own. Well out in the country, away from light pollution, in short grass, ya can see whole fields of them sometimes.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #1290
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
In the hottest part of summer we got little 'worms' (?) that come out and glow on their own. Well out in the country, away from light pollution, in short grass, ya can see whole fields of them sometimes.
We don't have any such worms over here, because of evolution. The Smokies divide KY and NC and the only worms that glow are down by the nuclear plant in Southport.

Then you got all those critters we don't have. Werewolves, we don't have any of them. Those vampires can stay on your side of the mountains too. No bears over here either. I never saw one so there must not be any.

Glowing worms?! Pics or it never happened.