The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-28-2003, 12:18 AM   #1
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Giant Paperclips

Pictured below is a snap of the ceremonial public boat dock in Baton Rouge. Sort of an oddball structure that most people I know refer to as the "giant paperclips".
Attached Images

Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's cool. I wonder if it's a nod to the petro chemical docks? Are the low lights down the middle the only lighting or is there more?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
Scopulus Argentarius

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
That's cool. I wonder if it's a nod to the petro chemical docks? Are the low lights down the middle the only lighting or is there more?

Not a nod to the petrochem docks; their 90 degree bends, general decay, and terse construction lend them a much different look. Not everything in the chemical city praises the local industry.

It more fits in with the 'New Bridge', the USS Kid Memorial, the many fountains and water runss, and the Steamboat mixture somehow.

I'm not sure what image/meme/catchement the artist of the clips intended, but the structure does strike a mood. Not pictured are the 4 levels that spiral to the lowest part of the river.

Yes, the low lights are the only lights on it; there are spots that illuminate from a distance; these are used during special events.

It used to be a cool place to hang in the early morning hours. I've outgrown it.

Here's a pic of the bridge shot from nearby..
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Giant Hair Curler

Behold Sky Stations, a conceptual artwork which is supposed to evoke the wonderful art deco embellishments and interior light fixtures inside our venerable Municipal Auditorium.

These aluminum monstrosities sit atop the pylons of our cable-supported roof system on Bartle Hall, KC's major convention center. They are somewhat more appealing at night when lighted from both without and within, but most of us around here still call the big pointy one the 'giant hair curler', or occasionally, 'the turnstile'.

So...who else has alleged municipal artworks in their towns?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:29 PM   #5
Elspode

Whoops...and now, the picture.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn! That looks like something from that Charley Chaplin movie."Modern Problems" or "Modern Times" or something. it also reminds me of those Nazi propaganda films of the 30's.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
Scopulus Argentarius

Elspode....I like it....
Old 10-28-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Elspode

The same artist did all the light fixtures inside Bartle Hall, and they hearken to the Sky Stations very well...and I love the light fixtures. But I still can't bear the Sky Stations themselves.

But I guess they do what art is supposed to do, because no two people feel the same way about them, and that is a measure of success.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:01 AM   #9
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

St. Louis (where I grew up) has a huge 'artwork' in the downtown area made of three slabs of iron or steel set in a triangle. The thing has no finish on it. I don't remember what its official title is, but most of the folks who work downtown call it "Rust Never Sleeps".
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's called "Twain", but I've heard it mainly referred to as the Serra sculpture (after the person who created it--Richard Serra).

(It's alright, but I think it might be better off at Laumeier Sculpture Park.)

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-07-2003 at 07:44 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Thanks sycamore. It bothered me that I couldn't remember the name of that thing. Must be getting Anheisers.

I tried walking through that thing the way the artist suggests -- It's still a pile of rust if you ask me.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote