The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #9661
glatt

My daughter needed a specific graphing calculator for school. They cost around $130-$140.

I got one on Ebay for $66 including shipping, and it's in good shape and works perfectly. It's even a good color.

$66 is more than I wanted to pay for a school supply, but it's a hell of a lot better than $140.

I read somewhere that this graphing calculator has a faster processor than the computer on the first space shuttle.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #9662
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Heh... graphing calculators are way more powerful than most teachers realize. In my high school calculus class, we created a handful of programs to do things like solve the quadratic equation for us, just to save time. The teacher wasn't a complete idiot; before every test he would go to each desk and personally clear the memory of each calculator.

What he didn't realize was that you could reassign even the basic programs that came with the calculator. You could, in fact, write a program which simply displayed "Memory Cleared" on the screen when the appropriate menu item was selected, only without the actual deleting of anything.

Then again, maybe he did know that, and just figured that if we were smart enough to program such a thing, we didn't really need to worry about his class anyway.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #9663
glatt

It's complicated! I wanted to see it work, so I figured an easy one would be x squared = Y. But I had no idea how to enter that. It even took my daughter about half an hour so show me that feature.

I saw somewhere that you can get simple games for it.

If I had the desire and time, I bet there's a lot I could learn about what it will do.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #9664
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
My friend's mom just gifted me a set of snow tires as a bribe for a short stint of house sitting/cat watering.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #9665
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hells yeah.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #9666
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Nice!

Haha cat watering ...
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #9667
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That could so easily be Diz!
Except if he loved water like that I'd be able deal with Mr Poopy Tail softly and gently. He is very very wary of my trying to clean his fur right now because his actual parts are sore and swollen.

Which is not making me happy at all. Neither is the 24 hour fast he is on.
Quick, think of something happy...

I have beans in soak for a cassoulet tonight.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #9668
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I just got my dream job! After being off work for 9 months, with a bad hip, I just got a job where I can sit, or stand when needed! I am now the Esthetics instructor for the MC College- Vernon Campus!!!! I am a teacher, in the field I absolutely love.
I go in on Tuesday to sign a contract, and do my orientation. The pay is enough to get us out of the very large hole we are in, in just a few months, and will allow us to be able to replace our leaky roof by June. After that... who knows!
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #9669
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #9670
glatt

That is very good news!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #9671
orthodoc

Congratulations, Jaydaan! Very happy for you!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #9672
orthodoc

What's making me happy tonight is ... my BeeBee, my Siamese queen who saw me through chemo (she fussed over me, slept with me, tucked herself under my sore arm when I needed a small 'pillow', and woke me up in the morning with a cat kiss) - is cuddling with me now. In a few minutes I'm going to pour myself a little wine and sit in the hot tub, check out the night sky.

I am happy to be in my space, on my property, where silence is the rule - not jets taking off every 50 seconds from Reagan Int'nl Airport.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #9673
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My brother's band is on the short list for Grammy nomination. I wasn't aware there was such a thing, but apparently they start with about 30,000 submissions, somebody whittles it down to about a 1,000 for the short list, and then some special subset of Academy voters narrows it down to choose the actual nominees. Anyway, they're up for 5 different categories. I'd be rather stunned if they got beyond this stage, but then again I'm stunned they got this far, so it's pretty cool.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #9674
glatt

Wow, that's cool!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #9675
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

That is supercool! Whats the name of their band?