The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

October 22, 2007: Polar bear and the husky, version two

A Finnish gent noted Friday's bear/husky play pics, and pointed to this French Arctic expedition gallery, where there is photo documentation of another bear/dog encounter.

In this one, there's no play involved. The dog takes an aggressive, barking approach, seemingly saying "Get out of here! you don't belong here!" Seeing the bear's immense size, the dog knows it's a dangerous situation, but is protecting the pack by trying to shush away the beast.

The bear, meanwhile, acts as if he could not care less about the dog. The big guy is not hungry, but curious; it checks out the camp's equipment, even as the dog is barking furiously. He doesn't even bother to glance at the mutt. He knows he is in no danger from this annoying pest. The dog is a mosquito.

The dog mostly stays a good 15-20 feet away, but runs closer from time to time, as if trying to engage the big beast. The dog knows that the bear is slow-moving, can always be out-run. So each time the bear even slightly turns, the dog backs off rapidly. Until...

...puppy gets a little too close, a little too careless, and the bear sees an opportunity to swat that mosquito.

But the good news is that the last two photos here are named with "close_call", so we can infer that doggy beat a hasty enough retreat to survive the encounter.

A minute of video shows the dynamic differently than the pics do.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Nikolai
Greener than the rest

Yes first for once, and doesnt the first picture look like the bear is learning to dance?
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think there must be something genetic about it... but to me, a brown bear would clearly be terrifying in person, while I cannot imagine a polar bear as being anything but cute. White == sweet and docile.

I know, intellectually, that a polar bear is a godless killing machine, just like all bears. But I can't make myself believe it. In fact, I can't think of a single white animal that I can really convince myself is frightening.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I think there must be something genetic about it... but to me, a brown bear would clearly be terrifying in person, while I cannot imagine a polar bear as being anything but cute. White == sweet and docile.

I know, intellectually, that a polar bear is a godless killing machine, just like all bears. But I can't make myself believe it. In fact, I can't think of a single white animal that I can really convince myself is frightening.
Like old westerns. The "good guy" always wears the white hat, the "bad guy" wears the black hat.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
maximum
Writer of Writings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I cannot imagine a polar bear as being anything but cute. White == sweet and docile.
In fact, I can't think of a single white animal that I can really convince myself is frightening.
Maybe these bears will convince you?

Or maybe this guy who was attacked by one, as he slept in his tent (WARNING - graphic):

;-)
maximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Awwwwwwwwww, lookit the pink bears!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Spectacle
Observing the Wine

The pink, blood splattered, bears. Aww.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
findpolitics
Long Time Listener, First Time Caller

They do still look cute, especially that one on the right with his tongue sticking out. awwww... hungry little bear.

Nice try though.
findpolitics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum View Post
Or maybe this guy who was attacked by one, as he slept in his tent (WARNING - graphic)
Not a polar bear, but speaking of bears and tents:
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The dog knows that the bear is slow-moving, can always be out-run.
Quote:
When being chased or charging prey, polar bears can run as fast as 40 kph (25 mph) for short distances.
more
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

I have a friend who used to work on the North Slope - he says it's SOP that there is a LARGE rifle (he had a .458 if I remember right) in the truck, and a good pair of binoculars to look around BEFORE you got out of the truck

Heck, not even bears - back in the summer of 1980, I spent a lot of time on a farm in Canada that had a problem with Ferral Dog packs - there was a loaded 30-06 in the truck, and one person on the crew was always on dog watch - carnivores are NOT fun - BTW SOP was if you SAW the dog pack, you put out a warning, and if they were in range of your skill level to hit them, you started shooting
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
In fact, I can't think of a single white animal that I can really convince myself is frightening.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/wormstapewormphotos.htm
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

An anthropologist friend who spent a lot of time in northern Canada told me that polar bears are the most dangerous of all bears; they are the only ones that will deliberately hunt human beings. They are afraid of nothing.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:

?