The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Top 10 worst game controllers

Sorry if this isn't the proper place for this, but deal with it because I wasn't sure where to put it.
Top 10 worst game controllers, listed here, describes some marketing missteps in the gaming world.

This one only made honorable mention.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:54 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am surprised to report that I haven't had any of those ... I've played with one or two because friends had the systems they worked with.

I thought the Nintendo Donkey Kong Bongos might make it in. I just think they look absurd, I've never played the game they attach to.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I played a shitload of Intellivision. The disc directional pad was incredibly infuriating.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

Bruce, why does the spiderman game controller have a foreskin? And what is it leaking?

I'm scarred for life, or several seconds.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My thoughts, exactly.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Any article that shits on the Intellivision controller and ranks the 5200 controller as being LESS offensive is ridiculous.

I grew up with an Intellivision, and the "up or up and slightly left?" thing they mentioned would hang you up for... oh... twenty seconds until you got used to it, unless you had the reflexes of a six-year-old. It was perfect for the sports games that were the system's flagship titles, a poor man's analog that worked better with its sixteen directions than the eight-direction Atari 2600 standard. The keypad allowed much more complicated games than Atari's controllers allowed, a fact Atari acknowledged when it packaged Star Raiders with a "Video Touch Pad" kluge (and even then Space Spartans on Inty was better and _had voice_).

The side fire buttons were the only problem with the Inty controller, and there weren't many games that would wear your fingers out when using them.

For my money, the ColecoVision controller (similar design, but with an 8-dir knob on top instead of a 16-dir disc on the bottom) was worse, because accessing the keypad was tougher than it was on the Inty's.

But the 5200 stick was the pits. Not only did it have the ridiculous non-centering joystick, not only did it have awful chiclet fire buttons, but its buttons and moving parts had a half-life of about two weeks. When I was heavily into my retrogaming collection, finding decent 5200 controllers with all parts intact was one of the holy grails. Didn't happen often if at all.

Can't believe that they didn't put the <a href="http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=11">Joyboard</a> on the list. A rocking controller that you had to stand on and balance yourself while playing? Yeah, that'll play in Peoria.

The Jaguar controller wasn't GOOD per se, but it worked well with Tempest 2000, which was the only reason to own the system in the first place.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote