The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #61
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Beestie - I completely agree. My physical therapist was wary, too. I have always tried to look for certified kettlebell trainers when finding a KB gym.

The instructor I previously used was RKC, which was the original group that Pavel Tsatsouline was associated with. The one from Sunday is a senior StrongFirst instructor. This is Pavel's current company that focuses on strength. They have barbell and bodyweight courses as well as Kettlebells.

You could tell by the way the instructor talked that it wasn't just about movement, it was about how to tell if your body was firing the correct muscles, where the muscles are, why, feeling the difference between not firing them and firing them. It was almost a mini anatomy lesson.

HA! I just clicked on the links and they're both Pavel videos I think we're of the same mindset. I also have the simple and sinister pdf somewhere.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Watch out, you'll push the button on that fancy camera and crush it like a grape.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #63
bbro

Had my first "jump start" class at the new gym. I am so excited. The instructor seems so much more knowledgeable than the previous one. And as a result, I expect her instructors to be the same since they all have the same certification.

I did have a badass moment. She recognized me from the user course, so she knew I had some experience. We were doing an exercise that I had never done before - an advanced exercise. I had my 10lb kettlebell ready to go and she was like "Brandy, you can't use that, you'll launch it". Needless to say. I was tickled
Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #64
bbro

I had my first official class today. Some corrections, a learning curve that I wasn't expecting, but all in all, a good atmosphere. I found that doing compound moves isn't something I am good at - lol. Do a squat? Ok. Do a press? Ok. Do a squat then a press? Um, what? The instructor was really nice. He is only there on Mondays (for the morning class). Wed and Fri will be another instructor. I saw him on Saturday. Big, bald, with a beard. In my experience, very nice guys

The early mornings just my kill me, but it will be a happy death. The only concern is my shoulder. It's been worked like it hasn't been worked in a long time (that's what she said?). I really want to ice it, but I don't have an ice pack here at work. I am considering bringing the big boy from home and keeping it here. I just need to make a pillow case holder that looks a little neater.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You need a little number for the office you can slip an ice-pack into the shoulder pad. Problem solved.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #66
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You need a little number for the office you can slip an ice-pack into the shoulder pad. Problem solved.
.....I believe they would send me to the psych ward if I showed up in that.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If they try that, just tell then Jor El wouldn't like that.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #68
bbro

Well, I hit a bump in the road and had to skip workouts after that first one (family emergency). I am now back at it. I am SO sore, but it is satisfying to push myself. My shoulder seems to be holding up well, but I may need to ice it later today. I am also considering foam rolling the sore muscles. Not sure if I've ever mentioned it, but it is the epitome of hurts so good. It really does hurt when using on sore muscles, but it does help get the soreness to dissipate quicker. One more workout day this week.

There is a different instructor for Wednesday and Friday. I like him, too. He's a bit more attentive to form and encouraging. Not that the Monday guy isn't good, too. They both encourage and push a bit, but are aware of my shoulder and make sure I am not re-injuring it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hadn't heard of foam rolling.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #70
bbro

It's a useful tool when done correctly. I used it in PT for my shoulder to stretch. I use to roll sore muscles - mostly legs - and it can help ease the soreness sooner. Alas, I was too lazy for it. I can walk fine today, but it was another workout and I don't have high hopes for tomorrow - lol.

I did do some work that impressed myself. Turkish get ups with 14 lbs. Like this, but much, much smaller weight. And you do one on each side for a single rep: (See Bruce's repost)

These are traditionally done in low reps. The combo I did was get up to standing, clean the kettlebell, squat, press, and get back down. Fun stuff. Sweat pouring off me! But I DID ALL FIVE SETS

Also, I've had trouble with single leg deadlifts - I tend to fall over.
(See Bruce's repost) start @ 50 secs. I don't know the stomp crap. We don't do that.

I wasn't too happy with these, either, but apparently I am too hard on myself. The instructor complimented my form.....and I promptly lost balance - lol. 14lbs here, too.

I am really enjoying this gym and the instructors. I was just able to walk normally and they did this workout. Looks like it's back to the shuffle

Last edited by bbro; 04-22-2016 at 08:38 AM.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #71
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
It's a useful tool when done correctly. I used it in PT for my shoulder to stretch. I use to roll sore muscles - mostly legs - and it can help ease the soreness sooner. Alas, I was too lazy for it. I can walk fine today, but it was another workout and I don't have high hopes for tomorrow - lol.

I did do some work that impressed myself. Turkish get ups with 14 lbs. Like this, but much, much smaller weight. And you do one on each side for a single rep:

These are traditionally done in low reps. The combo I did was get up to standing, clean the kettlebell, squat, press, and get back down. Fun stuff. Sweat pouring off me! But I DID ALL FIVE SETS

Also, I've had trouble with single leg deadlifts - I tend to fall over.
start @ 50 secs. I don't know the stomp crap. We don't do that.

I wasn't too happy with these, either, but apparently I am too hard on myself. The instructor complimented my form.....and I promptly lost balance - lol. 14lbs here, too.

I am really enjoying this gym and the instructors. I was just able to walk normally and they did this workout. Looks like it's back to the shuffle
Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #72
bbro

Aw - the youtube stuff didn't work.

Yay! Bruce fixed it! I'll edit my post so it's not as long while I still can
Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #73
bbro

I seem to be improving, still. My shoulder still gets sore, but not in a way that limits movement, so I am not concerned. I know I need to add PT exercises back in. I am hoping to get motivation to do that T, H, S - Off days to my KB class.

BUT, I am doing the workouts in about the same time as the rest of the people in the class instead of taking a half hour longer. The weights are going up. Left arm is actually weaker than the right, so I have to start on that side with one armed exercises like most people.

Today's workout ended with what my trainer called "The Gauntlet". We were told to time ourselves, but I don't know if anyone else did. This is after a full, normal workout:
15 - Two Handed Swings
20 - BW Squats
15 - Two Handed Swings
20 - BW Squats
1 - Crawl across the gym
20 - Mountain Climbers (10 each leg)
Walking Lunges across the gym
40 - BW squats

My legs were like jelly afterwards, but I finished all of it. I got it done in 7:45. I figured it would take like 10 minutes - lol. I am really getting in the grove of working out in the morning.

In other health news, I have some new goals for this month.
Last month was a mess with my bro in the hospital and bad eating, but I had a goal of tracking everything that went in my mouth. I achieved that (minus one day). I only managed to lose 1.2 pounds for the entire month. My measurements were weird, too: I gained an inch on my thigh and upper arm. Lost a half inch on my calf, an inch on my hips, and one and a half inches on my waist. My neck was the same. Counting it as a win, but since I didn't meet my weight loss goal, I don't get my prize *sigh*

This month (minus one day), I am still tracking everything, but staying under my calorie limit every day, too. It's hard because I'm so hungry! LOL. It's going well so far. I almost mucked up one day when I thought I logged 95 grams of ice cream, but I only logged 90. Luckily there was enough wiggle room that I could eat the rest of the container

I am also not weighing this month, so any loss at the end of the month will be a surprise It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. I almost broke down on Saturday, but I held strong! I miss my scale. I still have a weight loss goal, but since I'll only know at the end of the month, it's not really a motivator this month.

Ok, ok, enough rambling for today. I should actually get to work or something.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Building muscle and loosing weight at the same time is for masochists. Muscle is smaller but a lot heavier, be happy with shrinking dimensions
Old 05-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #75
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Building muscle and loosing weight at the same time is for masochists. Muscle is smaller but a lot heavier, be happy with shrinking dimensions
I am. It's not the primary goal, just happened