The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I can't wait until it's impossible to rape someone because everyone's got a relative in the system.
to get away with it, you mean. I think most rapes are probably not premeditated. I'm sure there are serial rapists, but without checking, I'd guess the vast majority of cases fall into the 'date rape' category.

this kind of genetic cataloging will help narrow searches for likely suspects in cases, regardless of the type of crime, where genetic info is left at the scene, though.... that much is apparent.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Whoa that is interesting.
My sister's swab came back 97% Irish, not a surprise, I'd be more interested in the health information.
More interesting would be if yours came back only 3% Irish.

I'm a big fan of the stories where people discover their next door neighbor best friend is actually their half sibling. I think it helps paint a better picture of reality than whatever socially acceptable narrative we're told. (Not directed at you, Griff. More thinking about my own neighborhood)
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

There are a number of hillbillys hereabouts who look a lot like me... Both my Grampas were young widowers after all.

I love the stories where racists find out who their real cousins are.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #19
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Hey Guys, been awhile! Pardon resurrecting an old thread, but after I'd been sober almost 2 years I finally did 23andme.

I had gone for my eye exam prior to going for my flight medical in May of '17 and was diagnosed with fuchs dystrophy (a genetic eye condition). After some consideration I got the dna test and two months later, I met my mother, younger sister, my grandmother who is still raising hell at 93, my uncles, and numerous cousins.

A distant cousin contacted me a few days after making my 23andme profile public and he got me in contact with another distant cousin (both of their hobbies now that they are retired is tracing the family tree) and my other cousin had me upload my dna from 23andme to gedmatch.com and also ftdna.com.

It was on gedmatch.com where i found my uncle and was able to send him an email and he eventually called me after returning from a European vacation and got me in contact with my mother.

It was one of the best decisions that I've made outside of sobering up. When I met her and my family it was like I had been gone on a long vacation or work assignment and had just come home (if that makes any sense). This is my second chance with having a mother - some of y'all may remember my adoptive mom passed away while I was on that hiatus from society last decade. I am truly grateful that I did this test and found everyone. As for the eye deal? no one on my mom's side has it and my father doesn't want to meet me, which i totally respect, so I suppose I won't find that out for now.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #20
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hiya plthijnx! Good to see you around. Glad you found your birth mom, what a wild adventure to have this late in the game.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

She just called you old
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #22
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

glad to see you back, stick around for awhile. We missed you.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Hi, plithy!! Good to see you posting. I did both the 23andme and Ancestry kits and I think 23andme is the best.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #24
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

You Philthy fucker!! Good to hear from ya, man. Congrats on the family thing, too!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #25
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Hiya plthijnx! Good to see you around. Glad you found your birth mom, what a wild adventure to have this late in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
She just called you old
i'm not THAT old!! just under a half a year for half a century!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
glad to see you back, stick around for awhile. We missed you.
i'm a trying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Hi, plithy!! Good to see you posting. I did both the 23andme and Ancestry kits and I think 23andme is the best.
it's pretty good, the gedmatch.com was where i was able to get my uncle's email and ultimately meet my mother but 23 is where it all started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
You Philthy fucker!! Good to hear from ya, man. Congrats on the family thing, too!
good to still be around to come back in here! thanks man!!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It appears the results will vary between the five companies, AncestryDNA, MyHeritage, 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA and Living DNA.

Quote:
Despite having virtually identical DNA, the twins did not receive matching results from any of the companies.
In most cases, the results from the same company traced each sister's ancestry to the same parts of the world — albeit by varying percentages.
But the results from California-based 23andMe seemed to suggest each twin had unique twists in their ancestry composition.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #27
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

To be fair, they're not claiming the actual DNA results varied between companies. Only the hand-wavy "let's guess what part of the world this DNA traces from" bit, which is almost entirely guesswork to begin with.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My actual family records match my 23 and Me results very well.

They could have written "100% boring plain old whitey"

They did write something like German-French, English-Irish, and a bunch of "indeterminate" German-French. The family record says Belgium, so that is indeterminate, I suppose.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #29
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Indeterminate is a city in Belgium.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #30
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I posted this in 'Weird News' last year. It probably warrants repetition in this more serious topic:

Quote:
A Home DNA Test Kit For Humans Found This Golden Retriever Would Make a Great Cyclist

A journalist working for NBC 5 in the US has road-tested a handful of mail-order DNA analysis services, only to find they all gave conflicting results.
On top of that, one of the companies couldn't even recognise the difference between human DNA and that of a dog named Bailey.
According to their report, Bailey is genetically well suited to playing basketball and long distance cycling.
LINK